300 wby help

Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.
Try barnes ttsx in 168 or 180. They like a jump and have alea
Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.
Try barnes 168 or 180 ttsx. They
3rd try, try barnes 168 or 180 ttsx. They like a a jump. Have always been accurate and performance is outstanding!

Scope I'd brand new vx 3 4.5x14, never had an issue with leupolf
Even new scopes can go fungoo on you.Try an old proven scope and see what happens.I never use a new scope on a re barreled rifle or new rifle.How was the rifle chambered?Was it chambered with Weatherby type freebore or for some particular bullet?Talk to the barrel installer.Tell him your problem.Not owning a 300 Bee I can`t give you advice on bullets,but am on board with using Hornady or Sierra 180 grain FB bullets.Good luck with your rifle.

I used 83.00 of 7828 with federal 215 match primers out of a Remington. 700 and got .50" @100.00

I have shooting 300 wby for 25+ years
180 gr Swift A - Frame and Sciroccos
With 4064 it worked for me. All over the world hunting.

I have had several .300 's and I tried just about everything bullet wise ans could never really get them to shoot,then one day I looked at the cartridge data on all the different manufactures and looked at the minimum length and went from tere,if it said 3.525 that is where I started 3 at that length and then would go to 3 at 3.535, out to 0nly 3.550 and would find the best load ed length then play with powder amount and different primers. Remember your first shot counts, your second is in a hurry and you 3rd at running game is a wounded animal , be a cool shot!! One of my best loads would cluster 180 Sreer's at 3165, s.d. 4.55 and group 3 in 1/2 inch center to center at 100 , Pete
try an old load,,it will shoot great in any 300 wby,,try h4831,, with 150 gr. nosler bullit cci mag. primer,,if you check every nosler bullit,, you put in the scale pan,,will all weigh the same,,a lot of bullits wont.,, weigh the same,, i have shot elk out to 600 yds,,with a 300 wby mag,, it wont let you down with that load

Last edited:
So my first thought is what kind of chamber is it? Conventional long throat WBY or shorter one. If it's a shorter one then give those LRAB a 60 thousand jump and push them hard. If it's a conventional WBY long throat chamber, if it was me set the barrel back and make it a shorter throat.

I yo have a Weatherby Mark V in. 300 Weatherby. I've gotten very good results with RL22. MAYBE it'll work for you too.

Federal 215 is an excellent primer for that 300. Powder can vary I've used 79 grn H4831 behind a 180 Sierra MK and had great results. I'm told the best powder for this application is IMR 7828 SSC ( Short Cut) Kernel size. Its' all about trial and error, no two barrels are the same regarding caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.