300 Varminter Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the fast flat shooting guns also

Wildcat:

I like your guns and think you know as much as anyone posting here about such subjects. I also like the fast and flat shooting loads like your 300. My preference for such a load would be in a carry weight gun mostly for shots out to maybe 400 yds. As such a 243 would more suit a light gun for me but your 300 is more gun by far. My first centerfire was a pre 64 Win model 70 in 220 Swift. Still love that gun and load!!

I don't think you should have to defend yourself, your posts, or your choice in weapons against anyone. Please keep posting about all these subjects.

Thank you and good shooting...V911

no i never said you were a liar, i said you are lying to yourself . no i dont think you understand BC and exterior ballistics, i think you are just repeating what you have heard and hype you have read about that round. i hope your gun shoots great and you love it cause as much as you have talked about it i would hate for ya to be dissapointed.

you wonder why so many of us have gotten so annoyed with your post about this rig, let me remind you. months and months ago you came here asking all of us every question under the sun about what round and bullet combo to use for out to 1K varmint shooting. a bunch of us gave you our opinions and info repeatedly. these are people who have shot every combo of large vs small bullets and fast vs lower velocity rounds, this is proof by experince not by reading or hear say. a bunch of us, myself included, stood up for you when some people were giving you hell because of your questions or 30th equipment list post. we all tried to help ya and guide you along so you wouldnt have to make the same mistakes alot of us did in the beginning.

well now apparently were all just a bunch of pitbulls with nothing better to do but wait around for your newest post so we can jump on ya. well if that is what you think, what ever then. :rolleyes:

Lerch, I do understand BC. You, like a FEW others, failed to read all of my posts. I have owned and shot all types of rifles and bullets, so I know what works. The problem with this set up, for a few guys, is the type of bullet that is being used. I think some of you got Tunnel Vision, and you only read what you wanted to read in my posts and neglected to read the many times I said, "Higher BC bullets are Better for long range shooting" I also said many times this rifle was being used for a specific purpose and range and that it would be perfect for that purpose. I never disagreed with anyone about higher BC bullets being better for long range hunting and shooting.

What I disagreed with was those who were saying that the 300 WSM, with the right components, was not capable of pushing the 125grn BT or 110grn V-Max at 4000+fps. I also disagreed with those who said it was unsafe to do it and because I disagreed with those individuals, I was for ever marked. I was trying to defend Richard Franklin's design from those who were saying it could not be done or done safely. The funny thing, I was right the entire time. Here are the facts, the 300 WSM, with the right components can push a 110grn and 125grn bullets at 4000+fps very accurately and safely. Where are the apologies.

Also, I have asked for opinions just like every other guy on this site. However, that doesn't mean I am going to listen or think his way is right. I have many years of shooting experience, 30 years to be exact. Lerch, I have nothing against you, and I have always respected your opinions and posts. I just wish you, and a few others, wouldn't have been so focused on tearing the project apart because of bullet choice and recognized what it was being built for. Anyhow, I know it's going to shoot and perform very well. I am very happy with the attention this post is receiving. Serious varmint hunters and long range shooters will read it and want to know more about Richard and his builds.

W.

Last edited:
Wildcat, I called Barnes, Nosler and Sierra when you first posted on this concept and I asked them if they thaought it possiable for the 300 WSM to push 125 grain bullets 4000+ FPS in a 15 twist 30" barrel at SAAMI pressure limits and they did not believe it to be possiable unless you ran HIGH pressure (above SAAMI)
You see Lerch has already tried the 125 grain bullets in the 300 RUM, but could only get 3900 FPS with out pressure problems and he ststed as much last year and you did not believe him. He thought that he had the CATS *** for Varmints untill he shot beside a 6mm with hig BC bullets and at long range the windage difference was huge with the 6mm having the ad vantage and you ignored this and argued that your concept was best and there is some magical reason that the 300 WSM can get more velovity than the same bullet in the 300 RIJM, BUT hey carry on...

Your whining response of Biblical proportion are very entertaining as you claim to be missunderstood and picked on

You just love the DRAMA is obvious............

Carry on............

Last edited:
No Drama JWP475, just proving to others you were wrong. You should have e-mailed Richard and found out how he was getting the combo to work, instead of saying it could not be done. I am sure you don't want to do that, you would get your *** handed to you on a silver platter. I called Richard, and he explained to me how it was being done, ect. Anyway, thank you for continuing to post. I love all the press Richard's 300 Varminter is receiving.

W.

JWP475, aren't most custom rifles shot by re-loaders, shot with higher pressures. I am sure there are a ton of guys on this site who don't follow SAAMI recommendations and shoot high pressure loads all day long. Have you ever been on a Pdog hunt, those guys are running all of their rifles super hot. You fail to see the point Wildcat has continued to make. The 300 Varminter will shoot the mentioned bullets at 4000+fps second, accurately, and at obviously safe pressure levels. Sure, there probably high, but it's being done safely and Richard has designed it to be safe. Why are you so hell bent on attacking wildcat and his project, he didn't design the round, Richard did. Why don't you call Richard yourself and tell him about your high pressure issue and get mad at him for desining such on unsafe rifle. The problem is, it's not unsafe, and you just to want to admit that your wrong. I am sure Richard would have a very good and educational answer for you. Wildcat has proven you wrong.

Patriot44

I have read all of your post wildcat, trust me its hard to miss them. And i have never ragged on your rig, i am sure you will be happy with it and you have listed good components for it.

No i do not believe you can safely push the 125BT to 4000+ fps. I aint saying it cant be done, i am sure it can, Hell BJ once pushed a 55gr BT in a standard 243 to 4250fps!!! But you will get flat primers, ejector marks, and very minimal brass life. And if your fine with that then great, to each his own. I honestly hope you like the gun and are happy with it

There are many ways to skin a cat but the way you are going is flat out not nearly the most effective or consistant way to get the job done and that is what you originally were asking everyone.

On a site dedicated to effectively shooting and hunting at long range what would expect everyone to say about a project being built around a bullet that is only minimally effective at long range. You say yourself that high BC bullets are better for long range shooting. What do you think 400-800yds is bow range???

JWP475, do me a favor, call Richard and argue with him about the pressure issues you THINK it has. Like I said, he will hand your *** to you on a silver platter. Anyhow, thanks for your post.

W.

Lerch, thanks for your post. I hope you have a great weekend, I know I am. Actually, I am going to go trim some brass and get it ready for my barrel burning, high pressure, brass battering, high velocity rifle. Man, I can't wait!!!

W.

I have only one question. Why does this topic get brought up every week when there is no rifle?

Its fine to be excited about a new project, that is a very good thing for sure. But with a top this abrasive, why bring it up week after week without having the rifle in your hands to provide solid number and data such as case life, chrono results, targets at long range or even references to the rifles groups.

Why not just leave it off the board until we get solid rifle results. Just seems like there are those that like the ****in matches over and over again.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

I
But with a top this abrasive, ......Why not just leave it off the board until we get solid rifle results. Just seems like there are those that like the ****in matches over and over again.

why is it abrasive to you? that really is interesting comment.

You did not believe solid posted rifle results earlier, so it is grossly naive to think that when you will believe it later.

Better yet, why don't the non believers just ignore the post and sing kumbaya to each other? That way no ****in contest. No one is making you post your non beliefs. Just keep them to your self and everyone is happy.

BH

Good point Bountyhunter. However, I will still post results even though I have posted them while using other's 300 Varminter. I am well aware what these guys are doing. I think it's great they keep posting. It keeps giving Richard great press.

W.

when has any real honest solid data been posted about this rifle??? all i have seen is hear say data. where are the groups, chrono results, field results, pics of anything, and idea of the amount of stress the brass is being put through??? anything????

Status
Not open for further replies.