300 ultra barrel life ?

birddog67

Have a REM 300 ultra Sendaro with a 26" factory barrel . what will be my max barrel life ?
I am shooting 215 hybrids Berger's. with 87 grains of H1000 . VOL 2880
I have 425 rounds down the tube now . just wondering what to expect ?
I always let the barrel cool when shooting , I might shoot 2 to 3 rounds back to back , then will let it cool 5 to 7 minutes before shooting again .

any input I would be grateful . thanks :rolleyes:

I think 426 rounds about does it. Just kidding, of course. I don't have one myself so I've never burned a barrel out of one but just recently I was reading a bunch of posts addressing just that as I was curious about the life of my .300 WBY. The consensus seemed to be the biggest problem for barrel life was shooting it hot with no cool down, then keeping it clean and well maintained. 1500 or so rounds seemed to be stated quite a bit. I am sure someone with first hand experience will chime in. You've got a sweet rifle and it sounds like it still has a large majority of its barrel life left.:cool:

It's all down hill from there:D

Yup, 1000 or so. Give or take %50

Seriously, I have 2 RUMs they are fine at ~250 and ~450 down the tube. Video bore scope, not the good one, the OK one, shows plenty of life left. I have not had to change seating depth.

Repeating what has been said, try to avoid shooting hot.

I try to follow, wait 2 minutes or more between shots and if you can't hold you palm on the barrel, stop.

My RUM made it about 1200 rounds and went south like you flipped a switch. It was always loaded at the top end and I did have it hot a couple times. If you stick with the load you're using now, I would expect you could get 1500 rounds pretty easy if kept cool and clean. Your load is very slow/mild compared to other RUMs and that will help with barrel life.

I have around 1500 rounds through mine. 215 Berger and 91 grains of H1000. The throat is pretty eroded, but I also have not needed to adjust seating depth. It still shoots really good but I think the end is near.

on factory barrels if you firelap them while breaking them in for approximately 40 rounds and clean them like a fanatic. Then send it off it to get nitrided. These barrels will last approximately 4200 rounds with the 300.

on factory barrels if you firelap them while breaking them in for approximately 40 rounds and clean them like a fanatic. Then send it off it to get nitrided. These barrels will last approximately 4200 rounds with the 300.

Man that would be great but I do find it just a little hard to swallow. I'm in no way shooting you down, just voicing my .002.

OP, try this. It's not Gospel or set in stone but should help some.

Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

According to the calculator, expect ~1345 rounds.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.