Barrel life in the Rem Ultra Mags..

sniperVLS

For the sake of making this simple, lets take into account we are talking about stock Rem 700 Sendero heavy 26" Barrels, off the shelf ammo, and normal cleaning routines..

I know a regular .300 win mag will get more life than a .300 RUM and .338 RUM will, but how much more?

are we talking a couple hundred rounds, several hundred? 1,000?

I keep hearing the .338 RUM will toast a barrel much quicker, but whats much quicker?

I was 99% sure I wanted a .300winmag, but now Im considering the 2 bigger boys. Those are the 2 calibers I can readily find in Sendero models, thats why Im asking.

other than the .300winmag being slightly cheaper to shoot, I also have to take recoil into account. I dont want a .338RUM if it kicks the hell out of me and the barrel life expectancy is a 1,000 less than the other 2.

Whatever I chose, Ill be doing bench shooting often(not as often as with my .308), and also using it for bigger game such as elk and moose.

Thanks in advance for answering.

A 300 RUM will probably burn a barrel out faster than the 338 RUM. How much faster is a good question, but it will be the biggest barrel burner of the 3 you've listed. The 338 RUM is actually easier on barrels than the 300 RUM. Less velocity, and a little less powder.

If you allow the barrel to cool between shots you will probably get about 1500 rounds out of the 300 RUM. Rapid fire it and don't allow it to properly cool and you will probably waste that barrel in half the time or sooner. As far as recoil, I have a brake on mine and wouldn't want to shoot it much without it.

Andrew

thanks for answering fellas.

yeah thats the thing, I can get the calibers I listed in Sendero with the stainless fluted barrels. I know of a site that has 10 each of the .300rum and .338rum, the .300winmags are always available if you look hard enough.

Im getting the JP accuracy package done to it, mostly in order to get that effective brake they put on. Ive heard good things about them.

I didnt even think about the powder differences, thanks for that.

decisions decisions.......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As far as the recoil goes I don't think you can utter the word ultra mag and not talk about somthing kicking the snot out of you. The benefit of this punishment is power. Me and a buddy of mines 300 ultra mag will shoot a Wildcat 210gr bullet at just over 3200 fps. This is about 4800 foot lbs at the muzzle and still nearly 200lbs at 1000 yds. Pretty impressive. Kicks like a mule though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I know of a site that has 10 each of the .300rum and .338rum, the .300winmags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which site? My buddy is looking for a 300 RUM Sendero.

When ever I shoot one of my fast rifles 257 WBY MAG, 338 Rem ultra Mag or 300 WIN MAG I shoot 1 or maybe 2 rounds at the target then wait until the barrel cools to the point that its almost as it was before I started shooting. The reason I do this is because when hunting thats what I do automaticly and I don't shoot the rifling out of my rifle.
The barrels last better that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.