300 Tejas

either your chrony is up the duff or your loads are so hot that at best you will throw your cases away after 1 firing, or at worst cause serious injury to yourself or somone else.... if you are getting close to cheytac case performance from a 300RUM case.... you are living very dangerously...

either your chrony is up the duff or your loads are so hot that at best you will throw your cases away after 1 firing, or at worst cause serious injury to yourself or somone else.... if you are getting close to cheytac case performance from a 300RUM case.... you are living very dangerously...
if you dont like what the tejas can do then just dont build one.

so inform us.... how many reloads are you getting from your stated load of 111gr of 7828ssc with 300gr projectile @3200fps?
let me guess, this is the first time....

my hero, youve survived a way over pressure load...
how about you tell us what was your ES or SD for this load was???
let me guess, you have no idea...

And lastly, how about you tell us what the ID of your primer pockets are after shooting this load???
let me guess, your mate borrowed your verniers the other day and cant measure it....

so inform us.... how many reloads are you getting from your stated load of 111gr of 7828ssc with 300gr projectile @3200fps?
let me guess, this is the first time....

my hero, youve survived a way over pressure load...
how about you tell us what was your ES or SD for this load was???
let me guess, you have no idea...

And lastly, how about you tell us what the ID of your primer pockets are after shooting this load???
let me guess, your mate borrowed your verniers the other day and cant measure it....

Why are you so worried about what limit he is willing to push his rifle to. So what if he only gets one reload, if that is indeed the case. I know some guys that will sacrifice brass to reach the speed they want to shoot. You seem very negative and attacking right from your first post in this topic. You are coming across like a real *******.

If one can push a 300 SMK out of a 338 Edge at 2950, I think it would be possible to push a 300 grain 375 bullet out of an improved 300 Ultra case somewhat faster. How much faster? Donno, but I would expect an extra 100 to 150 fps for a max of around 3100. I really dont see the advantage for doing this as the BC on the 300 gr. 375 projo would be much less than the 300 gr. 338 projo and any advantage gained by the extra velocity would evaporate fairly quickly. There are no free lunches so it comes down to giving up a little here to gain a little there and in the end you wind up where you started.

Why are you so worried about what limit he is willing to push his rifle to. So what if he only gets one reload, if that is indeed the case. I know some guys that will sacrifice brass to reach the speed they want to shoot. You seem very negative and attacking right from your first post in this topic. You are coming across like a real *******.

Why? because its not safe what he is doing, the cases pressures are rediculous to get that kind of velocity from an improved RUM case. 111grns of 7828 with a 300grn pill FFS!

old mate comes on here braggin about how much velocity he gets from his rifle but makes no remark as to his brass life, accuracy, or safety. what if someone inexperienced decided to try that load in their new rifle?

Anybody can push a hot load out whatever rifle they care to, but at least if your gonna brag about it, tell us the price you are paying in terms of brass life or early pressure signs so that we can compare it with honesty to other loads and calibers. I for one (and im sure there are others here) am interested in this 375tejas caliber, id just like some REAL and USEFUL info about its ballistics.

On average, a 338 Edge will get you around 2850 fps with a 300 gr SMK in a 30" class barrel. This is on average. Some slower barrels will be in the 2800 fps range, some fast barrels will get you 2900 fps and yes there are a very few fast barrels that when loaded to very top end pressures may get you around 2950 fps. In all honesty, I have seen this with one rifle in the several dozen rifles I have chambered in this caliber.

I have also built many custom 375 RUM rifles with 28 to 30" barrels and yes, the 375 with the same weight bullet will get you higher muzzle velocity then the 338 caliber shooting same weight bullets, BUT, not dramatically more. Where a 338 Edge will get you 2850 fps average velocity, the 375 may get you another 100 fps tops with same weight bullet.

Now if you figure you get a very fast barrel and your pushing the load to top practical pressures around 65,000 psi for RUM brass, its totally possible to see a 375 RUM get you 3050 fps with a 30" barrel.

Now improving the shoulder to a 50 degree angle will get you VERY LITTLE measureable powder capacity increase on the RUM case simply because the RUM parent case is pretty darn square already with min body taper, a simple shoulder anlge increase will likely increase powder capacity less then 2 grains. That amount on a cartridge that has a +100 gr powder capacity is very minimum and will result in very little velocity increase when loaded to the same appropriate chamber pressures.

Certainly we should not be attacking anyone for any reason, it is certainly their choice to do what they want with their rifles but my concern is when someone posts velocity results on a public forum with some members or guests that may not have alot of experience and they think that if a 375 Tejas can get 3200 fps with a 300 gr bullet, They should easily be able to get 3100 fps with a standard 375 RUM with same bullet. This is simply not wise to atempt.

My main concern is that everything does not always go perfectly. There is always a risk of getting a piece of brass that may have a flaw or is weaker then they should be, put in a 70K pressure load and bad things can happen quickly. Anyone that has had a case fail in a modern high pressure rifle learns very quickly that there are no advantages to pushing a case harder then its design limits.

Lately I can not believe the amount of talk about smaller chamberings coming very close to matching the performance of 408 CT class wildcats in 338 and 375 caliber. From someone that has alot of experience with all of these large class chamberings, I worry that many are running the ragged edge. My concern is more a safety issue then anything else.

Hell, I have customers that are breaking 3450 fps with my 338 AM with 300 gr bullet weights when the load I recommend them to use is right at 3300 fps. Its just human nature I guess but it is not what I recommend and I use these things every day of the year.

Nothing more or less, I just know from testing MANY, MANY rifles in this class that these velocity levels are WAY over even what the exceptionally fast rifles in these chamberings are producing and that should trigger red flag warnings all around.

If your only getting one or two firings on your brass cases, your WAY over pressure and you better hope and pray that you do not run across a weak case or you to will quickly realize how unpleasant this combo can be. It is really no fun at all.

Yep I can truthfully report that a 300 SMK can be driven from a standard 338/408 case using a 29 in. barrel and reach 3492 fps. I did it once but I wont do it again. Just because something is possible does not mean it should be done.

Certainly we should not be attacking anyone for any reason, (quote clipped)

I agree! This forum has impressed me as a group of professionals that are interested in furthering their knowledge towards LRH. There's plenty of other internet forums that practice a different technique on info/folks that challenge the norm........LRH isn't like those, and we should take the extra effort to keep it that way.

We don't know the specifics on this case yet....and throat design, barrel twist rate and groove/bore diameter, along with his barrels individual personality, could account for a velocity variance from the "norm".

I must admit though....it does seem fast:)

So we all can learn....

Is there a reamer print you could post?
What COAL?
Brass life at these velocities?

Thanks!

The important point is there is no other data on LRH for the 375 tejas, (which is basically an edge AI anyway) This is why we need to keep whatever data gets posted on this subject HONEST.

i apologise if my comments were a little antagonistic, but in the interest of safety this unrealistic data must be questioned and moderated which was my intent.

I have known Brad Stair for quite a while now and have five guns that he built for me, and have found his work to be very good and his load data to be pretty much on the money. I dont have a 300 or a 338 but am in the process of having a 375 Tejas built. He has been making this series of cartridges from 404 brass since before RUM brass was available. These rounds do have minimal body taper and sharp shoulders. Im not aware of problems of brass life if you dont overdo the pressures. He guarantees half min accuracy. He also has a line based on the 408 and the 50 BMG. If you need to verify or clear up anything call Brad. He is very informative and easy to talk with. His number is 801-394-0331. Thanks for your time Richard

I don't think anyone is questioning the rifles quality or the builders ability to make a fine rifle. In fact, if this 375 Tejas is actually getting 3200 fps with a 300 gr bullet weight, the rifle most certainly has been build correctly to handle this pressure.

The concern is not with the rifle or chambering, its with the performance claims as they are WAY over what is conventionally thought of as standard or even high velocity for such a chambering.

It would be like one of my customers reporting they are getting 3200 fps with my 338 Allen Xpress(lapua based) with a 300 gr SMK. If I say this, I would respectfully and VERY QUICKLY get all over them saying that would be very unsafe to push this chambering to that level of performance.

Some feel they can just increase powder charge until they see pressure signs. Well in a properly built rifle, they will not see obvious pressure signs until they are well over pressure. We have to use a bit of common sense here. You can not get X fps without Y pressure and Z bullet time in the bore. Certainly other aspects will effect final velocity output but a throat design will not get you 300 extra fps over a standard throated rifle of the nearly identical chambering.

We all need to remain respectful but we must also bring up concerns when we run into them. All of us from time to time need to be throttled back a bit for our own good, me included.

my brass has been fired twice at these pressures and the primer pockets are still tight. Brad told me his load is a 260 gn accubond at 3400 fps but he couldnt remember the exact load off the top of his head. my load starts with 105 gns of 7828ssc 300 hornady boat tail at 3105 fps and tops out at 111gns at 3200 fps. my other load starts with 100gns of rl25 with 350 smk at 2835 fps and tops outwith 108 gns at 3005 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.