.300 Short Mag Help

akbearhunter

Hello,

I am having a XP-100 pistol chambered in a .300 short mag.. and have been asked by my gunsmith what bullet I will be using...and will the necks thicknesses be reduced?
*Things I have not thought of before this project? As he will be chambering the barrel.
and be cutting the throat for any dimension I require.

1. I was thinking of using a Berger bullet due to the fact their bullet jackets are thin...and would expand on game out to several hundred yards.

2. What are the real benefits of reducing neck thicknesses on brass...any help would be greatly appreciated?

3. The brand of brass will probably be Nosler...due to the fact that they are usually less damaged when first unpackaged.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! One thing I have learned in all my years of shooting and reloading...is that there is something to be gained by asking questions...and listening to others. Thanks!

The only reason I know of for turning/reducing outside neck diameter is to eliminate neck run-out. I don't turn necks and probably never will. As far as how the smithy should throat the barrel, if you are planning to use cup and core bullets, if it were my build, I would have him put it where I could easily get close to the lands. However, if you use mono-metal bullets you need a little free-bore, maybe .050".

I always shoot CNC bullets and don't like the bullet seated way off the lands, the reason for me is that it seems harder to find accurate loads.

Hope your XP-100 turns out to be shooter!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.