300 rum ammo

Could someone please tell me why premium 300 RUM AMMO is almost non-existent for purchase? Most of what I want to shoot is out of of stock, no backorder.

try finding brass for that one my friend. I bought a 7rum (I had one years back too) a year ago and it's been a bear to find any brass at all. I've got a 300rum too and I've seen little at all for it available this year or last. It looks like Midway has some flavors of 300rum ammo in stock at present...
300 Remington Ultra Mag | Rifle Ammo | Ammo

I've been looking for the Barnes Vortex 180 TTSX or HSM 185 Berger and am having no luck at all. The Vortex shoots fantastic out of my 7MM Rem Mag and my 338 Win Mag. I have 2 boxes for the RUM and would like to find more. Hard task at this moment.

I've been looking for the Barnes Vortex 180 TTSX or HSM 185 Berger and am having no luck at all. The Vortex shoots fantastic out of my 7MM Rem Mag and my 338 Win Mag. I have 2 boxes for the RUM and would like to find more. Hard task at this moment.

If you aren't loading for it and/or have a bit of inventory you are at the mercy of what's available. It sucks but you may have to try another load to stay in ammo.

I worked for Federal for 8 years up until 2011, and what I can tell you is 300 Rum doesn't hit the production schedules as often as more mainstream calibers. It's one of those cases where having a caliber that's not super common like 30-06, 308, 7 mag, 270, etc, can make finding the desired load really tough. It's one of the main reasons to hand-load. And don't think I'm down on the 300 Rum, because I own a couple of them, just stating the facts of why they can be hard to find. 300 Win might hit the production schedule 10 times a year, where the Rum might hit it twice. Makes it much less predictable to find.

Thanks for the reply. All of these long range shows say buy this ammo and this ammo, but when you look for it it is non-existent. HSM has no ammo available, Barnes has no ammo available, even Remington has none available. If the round is so popular, why would you not produce more? Just a thought.

whatidooutdoors,

Your final comment is "If the round is so popular, why would you not produce more? Just a thought.z'

The thing is, is it seems like its more popular, but by economy of scale it's not. From a sales perspective (which I was, and still am, an on the road sales guy, selling to the actual retailers), most dealers buy 10 times more of lets say 300 Win over 300 Rum. Sometimes there's even more disparity between the cartridges then that. If you were Federal Premium, and the orders you received for most calibers outweighed others by large margins, how much would you produce of the less popular cartridge? When you're looking for something it can seem its crazy popular, but if you could see overall sales numbers, you'd understand what I'm saying. In the overall year, calibers like the 300 Rum sell very little compared to a lot of the other calibers, therefore it gets produced less. Add this to the scenario we are coming out of where ammo WAS very hard to find. Nobody's completely caught up, so some of the harder to find calibers can still be tough to find. Once everything gets completely caught up again (which it will even though the naysayers doubt…) it becomes easy to find because it doesn't fly off the dealer shelves every time it comes in. It get's to a point sometimes where it's actually easy to find.

I hope this all makes sense. I know it seems backwards in a way, but I can tell you after being in sales in the outdoor industry for 25 years, this is pretty much the way it is. Things that seem hard to find are often caused by the retailers themselves ordering very little of it because they don't see it selling fast off their shelves.

Hope this helps explain it.

Fin is right on. It takes a great deal of retooling to switch calibers on an industrial scale so it's the most popular calibers that get the most production time.

The remington premiums with the Swift Scirocco II's shoot very well out of my 300 Rums and they can usually be found if you shop around a bit.

The other I'm having surprisingly good luck with is the Nosler Trophy Grade shooting the ALR's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts