300 Remington Ultra Magnum ... ELR

Interesting to see 300 RUM bashing on a forum where most think the 300 Win Mag is some sort of long range wunderbar, or golly gee da 300 PRC is sooooo mucho long rangey ... the 300 RUM is so much more ......

or God forbid the teeny 6.5 mm pukers barely making 2800 fps with a light weight 140 gr bullet

and to think most are enamored with the 300 Norma Mag and are quick to gush excitedly on what a glorious long range hammer it is .....

fps ....... look into it

With a good brake a .30 cal Mag is nothing in the recoil end of things. In all honesty if you never loose your target on firing the recoil cant be to bad. Or at least the muzzle jump.

My .300 BSM with a brake has less recoil @ 3360 FPS with a 230 Hybrid then my 30-06 does with a 215 Hybrid @ 2850. The .300 BSM is about 16.5 pounds though. And the brake is not the best for the gun.

The .300 RUM would be no different. With a good brake it could be a pleasure to shoot.

I think the Ultra Mag gets the respect it deserves here. I still ain't got the stones to put my collarbone behind one. I'll take the heavy 6mm pushed hard, thank you. :D

My Rem. 700 with a magnabrake is like a .308 Win.. I weighs 10 lbs.. I let recoil shy friends shoot it and they can't believe it. Some I can get to shoot after with out brake on. Don't know if in reverse would work better. I do know the 300 RUM will reach out and touch them if you do your part. I also have a Savage 300 win. Mag..its great and accurate but I'll grab my 300 rum every time. I've been working with a couple 6.5 creeds and a 6.5 PRC. I used the Creed on 3 wt. Does last year with handloads w/143 ELDX. Dirt Naps instantly. 300 to 420 yrds. I myself would not use it on elk. 6.5 PRC out of my 27 in. barrel . I could use it on elk but I feel like I wouldn't want to limit myself on range and knock down power. Ft. Ilbs. I'm just now starting to use heavier bullets than 180, 185 and 190 in my 300's. I had to get out of the high velocity mindset and think about the longer range less drop more foot pds. aspect. Reading your posts has helped me understand. The same with my Ruger Mk. II in 7mm Rem. Mag. I was a 140 to 150 gr guy. I started shooting 160 / 165 gr. And my barrel twist liked and shot better. I think it's 1 in 9 in.. anyway. All of you have been a lot of help and inspiration. I have a topic I want to post I think a lot of you may relate to. Another time.
Thanks
Don

Friend of mine hunts one hard,taken about 11 very large muleys with it some over 200,and 14 wolfs or so if I recall lots game shot in that 600 yrd range,his ten year old boy now 11 taken deer n elk with rifle

I prefer to keep my hunting rifles under ~8 1/2 lbs, and I don't care for brakes at all. I do most of my shooting & load development prone off of bags. Besides, there is nothing I'm likely going to be able to hunt in the next decade that can't be dropped by my 270 short mag out to considerable distances (sub 600).

Friend of mine hunts one hard,taken about 11 very large muleys with it some over 200,and 14 wolfs or so if I recall lots game shot in that 600 yrd range,his ten year old boy now 11 taken deer n elk with rifle

That's dam good. My son liked my 7 mag. It probably kicked more than the 300 rum W/brake bit it fit him better. Before that he was hooked on my TC Encore with a 28 in. Hunter barrel in 243.

Which one would you choose :
downloadfile-1.png

in case you have not notice i take exception the the poor use of the english language.
it is not my fault that you have no clue about parts of the shooting sports and i think is is just as silly to write replies that pretend the errors of the original post do not exist.
keep pretending. i compete in 600/1000, and elr group and score shooting, i do not post pictures and make false claims.
Haha!!! Begging for the grammar Nazis, aren't we?
Let me proofread and edit for you....

"In case you have not noticed, I take exception to the poor use of the English language.
It is not my fault that you have no clue about parts of the shooting sports, and I think it is just as silly to write replies that pretend the errors of the original post do not exist.
Keep pretending. I compete in 600/1000, and ELR group and score shooting, I do not post pictures and post false claims."

Not that I disagree with your post. I just could not resist.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.