300 Remington Ultra Magnum ... ELR

in case you have not notice i take exception the the poor use of the english language.
it is not my fault that you have no clue about parts of the shooting sports and i think is is just as silly to write replies that pretend the errors of the original post do not exist.
keep pretending. i compete in 600/1000, and elr group and score shooting, i do not post pictures and make false claims.
???? ....:cool:

in case you have not notice i take exception the the poor use of the english language.
it is not my fault that you have no clue about parts of the shooting sports and i think is is just as silly to write replies that pretend the errors of the original post do not exist.
keep pretending. i compete in 600/1000, and elr group and score shooting, i do not post pictures and make false claims.
WOW

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6fTA1HXJAQYEpR7V7

Me 2,,, sorry that your not into the good times like the rest of us. Ha

I built this F Class rig 5 years ago,,, we compete up here in Western Canada in both the FTR,,, and F Open... Of coures we accept all shooters into the sport with open arms,,, our Wives and kids get to join in as well...

Our Homestead range put a cap on cartrages larger than 338 Lazzeroni and Lapua,,, they fall under the range approval category,,, same as the BC rules.

Yuppers,,, no need for me to defend anyone since there's nothing to defend in good times...

If you don't like our spelling or writing skill,,, then to bad since no one on this thread really cares what you like...

Like they say,,, if you don't like it move along.

Cheers from Don

Your welcome again Austin...

There's always one clown that likes to toot their own Horn on how much more they are Superior two others when it comes to reading and writing skills.

They only find fualts in others by pointing their finger in everyone's directions,,, yet they forget that's there is 3 pointing right back at them...

How lucky it must be to have a chance for a English education when they know nothing of where other folks come from... I bet 10 to 1 that this blind-ness comes from with in... Oh well,,, at least the """majority""" on this forum are humble and honorable people that enjoy sharing in good times...

No one really cares what they have to say,,, let's see... Hummmmm,,, yes the word is,,, """"Gives a Rats @$$.""" Ha... Did you know that this is not an insult to folks that have Superior English skills.

@$$ is not really a word you know...

Ye Ha,,, let the good times roll all,,, this thread rocks when the clowns leave the building. LOL

I hear yha rifle man,,, I like putting clowns on the spot when they call out others. LOL.

Purhaps if he looks back at his post with Superior spelling and grammar relating to the English language,,, he'll soon see that his spelling has an error in it... Call out others as he added 2 """the's""" back to back. Typically clown move on his part.

Oh well,,, at least he got a chance to speak his mind allowing the rest of us to see his true colours and his superior spelling skills that he's so proud of...

Like the old guy said,,, prove to the world that your a total fool,,, then throw out a comment disrespecting your fellow brother in arms by adding a comment about their spelling mistakes,,, yet in their rebuttal they find out that their spelling skills are no better.

PS: Eyes hopes me grammars goods enough fours those utters tows read,,, Lord thundering be Jesus eyed hate fur folks toos gets me'zz wrong... Ha

Pal Don North of the 49th,,, West of the 5th Meridian...

I hear yha rifle man,,, I like putting clowns on the spot when they call out others. LOL.

Purhaps if he looks back at his post with Superior spelling and grammar relating to the English language,,, he'll soon see that his spelling has an error in it... Call out others as he added 2 """the's""" back to back. Typically clown move on his part.

Oh well,,, at least he got a chance to speak his mind allowing the rest of us to see his true colours and his superior spelling skills that he's so proud of...

Like the old guy said,,, prove to the world that your a total fool,,, then throw out a comment disrespecting your fellow brother in arms by adding a comment about their spelling mistakes,,, yet in their rebuttal they find out that their spelling skills are no better.

PS: Eyes hopes me grammars goods enough fours those utters tows read,,, Lord thundering be Jesus eyed hate fur folks toos gets me'zz wrong... Ha

Pal Don North of the 49th,,, West of the 5th Meridian...

Well at least he ar15man hasn't brought up his hard on for SEALs. He loves doing that too. Then again it's still early.

Pretty sure pie-hole man falls into the Care-less program on this thread. I called him out on his superiority over and above all... Oh well,,, maybe he's taking his time on a rebuttal so He dosen't slip up on his proper North Carolina English. LOL """Care-less""" what clowns have to say...

Any-who,,, yes,,, I got my good friend B. Jury to spin me a 308 Bull Barrel with a 10 1/4 twist... Criss at MRCS put together a extra loooooong F Class stock with Cheery Wood centre & laminated Birds Eye Maple outter,,, we tore down the factory Remington action to fit a Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt small pin held open using a Jewel target trigger... I used the lightest spring in the kit for those clean break free releases,,, 4 oz was waaaaay to light. LOL... A quick reset to 6 1/4 oz is the sweet spot.

H. Remple sent me one of his F Class bypods that fastens onto the stock,,, we flush mounted a half length Anschutz rail for it to fit on,,, I like the 2 1/2" x 4" quick plate attachment that allows the bypod to switch over to my other 2 rifles... This is a good idea for those of us that work on fixed budgets...

I was going to mount my Night Force optic on it,,, but I decided that a Sightron 6-24x50 would work better for the close range 8 to 900 meter National match shooting competions,,, I took a Bronze right out of the gate with this set-up. LOL...

A very humble and hounerible young fellow beet me out on that shoot,,, dam rights that's it's rewarding getting schooled by the younger generation of skilled shooters,,, full respect to him and his Pops for putting it out there on the line...

Top tier shooting come at a cost you know,,, try this in a country with its currency at 30 to 32% less it's value of the Usd,,, darn tuff going for some shooters in our area,,, but we seem to make do with what we have...

So far so good on the ammo department,,, I reload at home or on the road since I have a portable set-up that travels with me across Western Canada,,, Pacific Northwest and The Eastern Sea Board,,, purhaps this is why I live a life of frugal,,, putting on the miles of good times every where I go,,, 36 US States with 2 trips to Alaska,,, the vast expanses of our North America...

I'll share more info on this awesome tread that our good friend Austin started,,, full respect to him and all the other good folks on this forum less the one that has options to fit in with the rest of us,,, """or""" flap his lips about how great his thinks he is...

The old saying is true in the rifle and archery shooting sports world,,,

"""Greatness to ones self is nothing if there is no one to share it with,,, it proves nothing to those that only see them selves... Block out your Brothers and Sisters as they leave you behind to gloat in Your own Glory,,, if this is the life that best suits your needs,,, then by all means.
The rest of the world will pass you by unnoticed."""

1977 Olympic coach Al Henderson

Last edited:
It sure will be nice to return home to fire-up my Remmy LR this spring,,, its been a loooooong winter up here in the North as my good friend allowed me to join in on the good times on his trap line.
Pretty much a close twin to Austin's less the caliber.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nH4YbfNRj3EuNAa39

I used my bush rifle since it wasn't worth driving home to change things out after hunting season,,, I could of had my LR shipped up here,,, but the bush wacker unit is pretty accurate...

The pet load was 45.5 gr of Varget behind a 168gr FMJ,,, of course I used a more reduced load for plinking through the winter months for predator control,,, 42.2 gr's normally.

That way I get the best bang per buck out of my brass and alot less flash burn on the barrel...

The plan is to finish off the LR barrel this year,,, then do a B. Jury 24" #3 barrel in stainless steel,,, I have a Wild Cat Composite Vartec stock that will go onto that rifle or one of the others...

I had it filled in so it can be used for a short action or long,,, one time deal once it's planned out...

Off to the range today now that it warmed up to -4c,,, just like summer time weather for the North Country,,, we're just below the 60th parallel on the bottom edges of the NWT / Yukon...

Not sure if you folk heard the bad news that happened this fall up here about the fellow that lost his wife and infant child to a starving Grizzly Bear,,, dam sad fore sure,,, Neil Harding knows a little bit about this couple as it was devastating to most folks up here in the North.

Tight nit community as everyone grives for others lost. Sad indeed...

Those of us close to folks are humbled and hounered to share in our hart felt feeling when tragedy strikes...

This is part of being human,,, companion at its greatest being...

Our family is there for support to those in need.

Pal Don

It's territory like this where the 300's shine... They reach out there with authority when it comes to distance.

Lots of folks in this area go with the 300's or the 338's since they deliver the Punch-Junk that critters deserve. Ha.

Neither one of those caliber are friendly to them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j46bTRZvvqoGmUGq9

I've been lucky getting in close enough with my plinking units to get clean harvests,,, of course this is no where near the distance the big bores can reach out.

Yuppers,,, good times now that blue skies are rolling in,,, yesterday and today we are shooting the Grande Valley thing,,, the only time we get to stretch the legs on our mid size rifles is on paper or metal gongs.

Cheers all

Is there a question? I agree, it is a hunting rifle not bench rest. Also, scope sits too high. I have a factory M700 .300 RUM. Excellent elk rifle. I've only used 180 grain bullets. Recoil very easily managed. If I was building a rifle, I would modify and install a Wyatt's magazine box so I could seat heavier bullets out further. Standard Leupold base and rings work and save weight. A MOA base can give you more elevation if desired. I would also get a good carbon fiber stock. I would thread the muzzle for a brake and make the break while machining and threading the barrel. Would probably take the brake off for hunting. Oh well, enough rambling. Was there a question?

I have the same rifle set up as you. No Wyatt's box though. Warne rings. 26 in. barrel w/magnabrake. With Barnes 180 gr. TTSX and Berger Hunting VLD 185 gr. w/Retumbo at 3300+ fps chronoed. I can shoot 3/8 to 1/2 in. groups consistently . I've had the rifle since 1999 I believe. I've shot a lot of deer and antelope and a few elk with it. If I do my part it is a one shot dirt nap every time. longest shot was a 6pt. Wy. bull at 543 yrds.. DRT. a lot of over 400 yd. shots. I use a Leupold 4x24x52x34mm VX6 scope with CDS turrets. I love the rifle. Iv'e shot Berger 190 VLD on paper with it but nothing heaveir. Want to try 215 gr.. Bought a Tikka T3 light last year in 6.5 Creed. Shot 3 whitetail does with it from 300 to 430 yds. Nice rifle. no recoil. has a Vortex 4x24x50x30mm Strike Eagle 2nd FP scope. But when I went for my Muley buck I grabbed my Rem 700 300 RUM. I know I don't miss with it and have faith in it. I'm sure you all have a rifle or two like that. Then it was only a 300 yd. shot but he never moved a step. I jumped on the 6.5 Creed bandwagon. Bought a 28 in. Hunter barrel for my TC Encore rifle, shot good with a few loads. Won a TC Compass 6.5 Creed rifle in a raffle. ok rifle and shot well. Stock too short for me. I had a barrel made by MGM for my TC Encore. It's a 6.5 PRC stainless 1 in. full bull. 27 in.. Integral muzzle brake. I have loaded some Loads with Retumbo, H1000, Re26. Rel33 and Re4000. Haven't shot yet and its killing me. I want to send it back to MGM to have spiral fluting done on it to shave off 10 oz.. Want to hunt with it but it is hefty !

We have a fellow at our range with the Remmy LR in 300 Win Mag,,, he topped it off with a Vortex 4.5x18... What a tack driver...

He's been running 208 ELD-M's,,, the unit has a few lbs to it with the Harrison BR Bypod,,, he put on a clamp on MB that tamed it down a bit more.

Mine weighted in a 10.2 after zero stress bedding and a Jewel target trigger with safety,,, I normally run my Nikon Monarch 3x12-42,,, I like it for hunting since the little optic is crystal clear and only added another lb over all...

I had to go with a 20 moa rail so I can dial up past the 1000 yard mark,,, she's pretty much at its end of dial up to the 1200 meters,,, I use the mill bar reticle past that... Of course its very rare now that I know what the unit can do,,, I'll switch back to the low bases this summer...

I found a pair of Gel Elbow pads that I used a a cheek riser,,, then I cinched up a ammo pouch tight to hold it in place,,, I'll post a picture of this crafty trick for those who might be interested in getting a comfortable cheek weld. Ha...

The little tricks to get the most out of our irons.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.