300 Remington Ultra Magnum ... ELR

Eagle eyes 17

This Cartridge was designed for Extreme Long Range Shooting.
Remington's 700 M40 Long Range Rifle
Chambered for the 300 RUM is an outstanding . 30 Caliber Benchrest Rifle
Capable of achieving Long Range and Extreme Long Range shooting .
The 225gr. ELD Match bullet was meant for this type of shooting with excellent results.
IMG_20181023_144734857.jpg

Maybe you didn't realize that the rail would raise the scope that much more. Going to be impossible to get a good cheek weld with that setup.

how are you going to make consistent extreme long range hits with that scope ?
no brake/ no suppressor
no bipod
it reads like an ad, but not based on reality

This Cartridge was designed for Extreme Long Range Shooting.
Remington's 700 M40 Long Range Rifle
Chambered for the 300 RUM is an outstanding . 30 Caliber Benchrest Rifle
Capable of achieving Long Range and Extreme Long Range shooting .
The 225gr. ELD Match bullet was meant for this type of shooting with excellent results.

I supposed this needs your explanation of what you consider to be ELR?

The .300 RUM was released to the public in 1999, 20 years ago. At that point in time the number of shooters participating in 1,000 yard shoots was a decidedly smaller group when compared to those competing today. The ideals and definition of 'long range' let alone Extreme Long Range was very different from what the definition is today. The vast majority of shooters then wouldn't even consider shooting at 1,000 yards let alone 3,500 yards.

So, what you may have considered to be long range then is not what we consider it to be now. Definitions change with experience. Run your numbers and see where your loads will take your bullet before they become unstable.

Best of Luck!:)

You've made a good point about designating what Range we are referring to for Long Range and Extreme Long Range. So in this Topic using Calibers up to .300 ultra magnum's, I'll refer to Long Range Shooting as (500yds - 1000yds) & Extreme Long Range Shooting as (1000yds - 2000yds)
So when your talking about a muzzle velocity of 3,000fps. your looking at your bullet speed capable of reaching Long Range Targets in a matter of seconds. As most of us have experienced from the time we hear the bullet being fired to the time we hear it hit the metal target is so fast that it seems almost instantaneous.

Last edited:
While that version of the R700LR is ok for hunting, it is a far cry from being an outstanding BR rifle. I've shot BR since the early 80's and while it may make a decent entry level LR hunting gun, I am doubtful it would win any LR BR matches.

At 1,000yd BR, we do not see 300RUMs competing.

lol i completely missed the point where he thought this hunting rifle was a LONG RANGE BENCH REST RIFLE.
SIR YOU ARE LOST AND OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY.

this is a 600/1000 current bench rest rifle, 28" bbl 15-55x scope 6mm dasher

the second rifle is also a 600/1000 br rifle,30" bbl 15-55x scope 300 win mag

Attachments

• P1000514.JPG
    P1000514.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 178
  • P1000515.JPG
    P1000515.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 179
  • P1000685.JPG
    P1000685.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Is there a question? I agree, it is a hunting rifle not bench rest. Also, scope sits too high. I have a factory M700 .300 RUM. Excellent elk rifle. I've only used 180 grain bullets. Recoil very easily managed. If I was building a rifle, I would modify and install a Wyatt's magazine box so I could seat heavier bullets out further. Standard Leupold base and rings work and save weight. A MOA base can give you more elevation if desired. I would also get a good carbon fiber stock. I would thread the muzzle for a brake and make the break while machining and threading the barrel. Would probably take the brake off for hunting. Oh well, enough rambling. Was there a question?

Ah yes. So many haters and condescending statements. If that is his only rifle it may be his, long range rifle. Not all of us have a bottomless pocket book to spend money on a gun that is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS to shoot unless it is locked down to a bench. I love my heavy 338 Edge and will carry it as far as I want to. I want you to drag around you fancy "F" monstrosity for even a morning hunt. Oh that's right. It is too fancy and expensive to dare take out in the field. May as well be a glorified safe queen. You know, a rifle that looks good on a mantle but you are afraid to take it to the field because it is so PRETTY and DELICATE.
Once again I fall back on my upbringing (thank you mom and dad). If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

did you miss where he said:
"Chambered for the 300 RUM is an outstanding . 30 Caliber Benchrest Rifle"

not us, him.
(and ps
a typical bench rest rifle SITS in a front and rear rest, it is not "locked down to a bench",
so maybe you should learn a little before complaining about match rifles.)

Ah yes. So many haters and condescending statements. If that is his only rifle it may be his, long range rifle. Not all of us have a bottomless pocket book to spend money on a gun that is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS to shoot unless it is locked down to a bench. I love my heavy 338 Edge and will carry it as far as I want to. I want you to drag around you fancy "F" monstrosity for even a morning hunt. Oh that's right. It is too fancy and expensive to dare take out in the field. May as well be a glorified safe queen. You know, a rifle that looks good on a mantle but you are afraid to take it to the field because it is so PRETTY and DELICATE.
Once again I fall back on my upbringing (thank you mom and dad). If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.