300 PRC question

After reading post it sound like the match bullet will kill game. So I guess the question is why Hornady spends so much time and money making ELD-X bullets. I used the SST but never liked them, give me the Interbond any day out to 650.
I've heard, companies like berger and Hornady can't claim match or target bullets work for hunting because of the military and their use of non expanding bullets. Not sure if that's the reason.

I purchased a 300 PRC rifle. It's all set up using the Hornady 225 grain ELD match bullet. What is everyone's opinion on sticking with that load for elk and mule deer. My average shots are between 400 to 700 mostly. The rifle already has a two-stage custom dial on a huskimo scope.
It will work fine.People get too caught up on bigger.I killed 2 bull elk with a 270 Win.annd 130gr silver tip.at 450 yard and the other wasnt but 300 plus .They didnt run.One took a couple steps and rolled down the hill.The other hit the ground..Splaaat.
With that said Id go with 250gr A-Tip. Running 2800 plus.

Last edited:
After reading post it sound like the match bullet will kill game. So I guess the question is why Hornady spends so much time and money making ELD-X bullets. I used the SST but never liked them, give me the Interbond any day out to 650.
Less material is needed in the jackets for match bullets. Using them to punch holes in paper makes needing thicker jackets unnecessary. Turns out even with thinner jackets and having the same construction otherwise works in killing game animals nearly the same. Bullet performance is slightly different and in my case for what I kill them with, better performance.

I purchased a 300 PRC rifle. It's all set up using the Hornady 225 grain ELD match bullet. What is everyone's opinion on sticking with that load for elk and mule deer. My average shots are between 400 to 700 mostly. The rifle already has a two-stage custom dial on a huskimo scope.
My understanding is match bullets are made to fragment very easily into very small pieces. The idea being that it won't ricochet & essentially disintegrate so there won't be large bits that could harm somebody. Also, it'll do minimal harm to range equipment, some ranges I've been to allow only match bullets for steel targets.

This seems to be the opposite of what a hunting bullet does - you want it to penetrate, then expand or at least throw off relatively large chunks of metal that have enough energy to travel & cause damage.

My understanding is match bullets are made to fragment very easily into very small pieces. The idea being that it won't ricochet & essentially disintegrate so there won't be large bits that could harm somebody. Also, it'll do minimal harm to range equipment, some ranges I've been to allow only match bullets for steel targets.

This seems to be the opposite of what a hunting bullet does - you want it to penetrate, then expand or at least throw off relatively large chunks of metal that have enough energy to travel & cause damage.
it is all about impact velocity. The 225eldM are an amazing hunting bullet when the entry velocity is low for LONG RANGE hunting.

the eldM's will preform well with an impact of 2400-1600fps which on my 300WM gives a preferred range of 400-1300yds (In Texas, even greater at high altitudes) Most "hunting" bullets dont have the BC to give you that type of range.
James

Don't expect a pass through inside 700. Do expect a dead deer or elk within 50 yards. Of course they could run a bit further but they could also bang flop. Eldm's work really well on game although I haven't used that particular one

Loghome, I recently moved from Oregon but before I did last year I harvested a bull with said 225ELDM in my 300PRC. Only a 250 yard shot to the lungs but the exit wound was a very large hole. I would do it again. Good luck

No experience with the 225ELD-M on game. Used the 195ELD-M in a 300WBY in South Africa this year and it performed perfectly for me. Wildebeest, blesbok, Kudu, Nyala and Eland between 140-680 yards. In every animal, the jacket of the bullet was poking through or stuck in the offside skin. All shots hit bone, onside rib or shoulder.

Based on the performance of the 195, I will not hesitate to use the 225 on whitetail and blackbear this year.

If you want wounded elk, use eldm bullets. Far better choice is the 212 grain eldx. Hornady has a great podcast about using match bullets for hunting. Recipe for disaster.

If you want wounded elk, use eldm bullets. Far better choice is the 212 grain eldx. Hornady has a great podcast about using match bullets for hunting. Recipe for disaster.
Seems to have worked great for me over and over. Along with others.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53