300 PRC hunting build

Question!!
What sence does it make to build a "Long Range" rifle with a "Short Barrel"?

Kind of defeats the purpose, dosen't it?

It doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want to shoot with a suppressor. I like to shorten my barrels 2-3" that I hunt with suppressed. Ive noticed that I usually gain ~40fps with the suppressor. Not enough to offset the loss from barrel shortening, but it helps. Also the reduced recoil and muzzle blast make me a better long range shooter especially in hunting situations where I may not have heavy ear protection and want to focus on that long shot when nerves come in to play.

Thanks for all the info. I do have a custom long range rifle- a MPA ti in a Manners and a 24" CA carbon barrel 1:9 twist in 7 SAUM that weighs about 8.5lbs. but prefers the 162 eldm over the 180s.

I have hunted elk in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, I have an older 300 wsm with a 26" barrel and brake (factory mag box and throat so limited on bullets). I definitely prefer the 24" barrel over the 26" barrel, and 22" is better yet. I live in AK now and shorter barrels in the bush are nice! Like 20"😄

I want something that will up the energy at 1000yds for those OTC elk areas that gets pressured, and open tundra shots at moose and grizz. I just hunt with my rifles so having a lighter weight and shorter barrel is nicer to carry all day, and back pack in.

I've thought about a .338, but the big 30 cals with a 215, or even 225 are more efficient

Don't understand the need to upgrade from a 300wsm if you got a kill after 800? Maybe more of a want?

The 300 wsm I have has a max coal of 2.80" since its built on a SA, with factory mag box. The barrel is also old factory, the throat doesn't allow for long vld bullet either so if you understand all that, then you would see why my wsm is handicapped.

Furthermore the factory mag has feeding issues with the wsm case. would need to to switch it all up to get a center feed. So the easy solution is to give that old WSM to my son as he goes off to college, and I get a real 1000 yd elk rifle!

It would have to be a step up from a 7 saum at 1000.

Isn't everything on here a want???

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you've never hunted in colorado, nevada, utah, idaho montana wyoming... were the mountains are steeper than a cows face and im sure as hell not packing a 30" 16 pound "lr" rifle on my my back for a week long or longer trip in country that makes most flat lander's say F that .. the point is to make a 1000 yard and under rifle that swings like a fine shotgun if you need it in the heavy timber and shoots like a heavy gun for those longer shots out to a thousand. and running a suppressor so your ears will thank you even more
I have hunted all of those places. I live in Nevada and I agree that 16lbs. Is to much but 10-11lbs. Is fine and a 26" barrel won't hurt you at all. My chuckar gun has a 28" barrel.

Thanks for all the info. I do have a custom long range rifle- a MPA ti in a Manners and a 24" CA carbon barrel 1:9 twist in 7 SAUM that weighs about 8.5lbs. but prefers the 162 eldm over the 180s.

I have hunted elk in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, I have an older 300 wsm with a 26" barrel and brake (factory mag box and throat so limited on bullets). I definitely prefer the 24" barrel over the 26" barrel, and 22" is better yet. I live in AK now and shorter barrels in the bush are nice! Like 20"😄

I want something that will up the energy at 1000yds for those OTC elk areas that gets pressured, and open tundra shots at moose and grizz. I just hunt with my rifles so having a lighter weight and shorter barrel is nicer to carry all day, and back pack in.

I've thought about a .338, but the big 30 cals with a 215, or even 225 are more efficient
Not with a short barrel and over 90grains of powder. You should look at a 338Sherman. It will do all that you are asking of it.

I think terms are being confused normally long-range rifles have longer barrels to help gain velocity and aid and efficiency of burning large amounts of powder.
Tactical weapons have short barrels 308s 300 win Mag for urban environments or getting in and out of vehicles and are threaded for suppressor.

Per Rich Sherman
My personal build is 700 Remington with a 24" Bartlein, 3b contour, 10 twist barrel and will run the 250 Bergers at close to 2900 fps! Feeding from my standard BDL magazine is flawless. This makes a great carry rifle with over 4600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and under 24 moa correction at 1000 yards.

I would go with a 26" 9 twist hells canyon carbon barrel and shoot 285 eldms

I've considered building a long range (1000 yd) elk rifle and the 300 PRC looks pretty good. I killed a bull at 792 yds with a 300 wsm but need to upgrade the setup.

Looking at the specs it needs a 3.7" magazine. Does a standard Rem 700 LA with factory Mag box work?

(I Will assemble the rifle myself so no machining for extended mags. Will use a Remage nut for the barrel.)

Also recommend barrel length? How short is too short? Will have a brake on it, and most likely a CarbonSix, unless you know a better deal with a Remage nut option?
Have you looked at the 30 Sherman mag.? It is an improved version of the 300 prc. Dies and reamer are available and you can pick up a good deal of velocity, it is a very accurate cartridge from what I have seen.

My 30 Sherman mag: Benchmark varmint 9twist at 27" + break ag composite stock and a stiller tac300 action topped with NF NXS 5-22x50mm will bipod and it tips in @10.5 pounds she is death pushing 230 Berger @3030 es of 5 with retumbo and fed 215m