300 PRC CHRISTENSEN RIDGE LINE 1-8

azrumshooter

Good Morning, I have a huge trouble story already with this gun , to make a short story I'll get to the point.
I have it grouping 215 Berger's really well at 100 yds, I zeroed at 200 and dialed it up getting above 600 it shoots high and right , has anyone had this encounter this issue ? I'll take any remedies or thoughts to correct my issues, thank you Gents !

Sounds like a scope issue to me. Once the bullet leaves the barrel it's going to continue on that path(other the wind/spin drift) it won't just magically start shooting high and right.
Are you shooting over a canyon or valley at the longer distance? Could be a updraft

Sounds like a scope issue to me. Once the bullet leaves the barrel it's going to continue on that path(other the wind/spin drift) it won't just magically start shooting high and right.
made you shooting over a canyon or valley at the longer distance? Could be a updraft
Good point, it was perfect conditions its point of impact is exact every time, I'll double check my scope level again, thank you

I have a traverse in 300 PRC, it's a pile. I also shoot 215s, haven't stretched the legs yet. But it was extremely difficult to find anything that would shoot. I can't stand these rifles, wasted over $4000 on two of them, rebarreled one already and the 300 is on the way out soon.

The first thing I would check would be cant on the scope. Maybe do a tall target test to check the levelness and tracking of the scope and also make sure your rifle isn't canting at all

I have a traverse in 300 PRC, it's a pile. I also shoot 215s, haven't stretched the legs yet. But it was extremely difficult to find anything that would shoot. I can't stand these rifles, wasted over $4000 on two of them, rebarreled one already and the 300 is on the way out soon.
That's where I'm at, Ive had it bedded, sent back for a barrel change, changed my loads, brass, projectiles, powder, primers, hell i could have spent half for the rifle and had better results 😩, CA say they will only guarantee to one hundred yds. I'm going to try one more thing, then ya I'll let it go!

tall target test as mention before.
site in at 100 dead on. Take a level and draw a vertical line 20 inches tall On that target at 100
reshoot at hundred with at least 14 inches of elevation at 100. This will tell u if your can't is off on your bubble to cross hair on scope Is off.
last is twist on a gun will account for a little at extended distance.
cheers

Have you really wrung out the scope tracking?

B2B Precision sells turret tracking target packs, it includes tall target tests and a grid:

I make my own version of the tall target and MOA/MIL grids using a plumb bob and target dots, but if you've never done one before starting with a printed target might make you feel more comfortable in ruling out any measurement errors on your part.

The Ultimate Hunting Target is a fun game to play also, get's you spinning turrets and can really test return to zero.

Last edited:
tall target test as mention before.
site in at 100 dead on. Take a level and draw a vertical line 20 inches tall On that target at 100
reshoot at hundred with at least 14 inches of elevation at 100. This will tell u if your can't is off on your bubble to cross hair on scope Is off.
last is twist on a gun will account for a little at extended distance.
cheers
Good points gents I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, I'm going to shoot it this weekend and I'll share my results with you, I hadn't done the elevation 100 yd test , 👍

take this with you so you don't waste ammo

Good Morning, I have a huge trouble story already with this gun , to make a short story I'll get to the point.
I have it grouping 215 Berger's really well at 100 yds, I zeroed at 200 and dialed it up getting above 600 it shoots high and right , has anyone had this encounter this issue ? I'll take any remedies or thoughts to correct my issues, thank you Gents

That's where I'm at, Ive had it bedded, sent back for a barrel change, changed my loads, brass, projectiles, powder, primers, hell i could have spent half for the rifle and had better results 😩, CA say they will only guarantee to one hundred yds. I'm going to try one more thing, then ya I'll let it go!
Yeah....sell it to some other poor un-suspecting soul!

Not sure how thoroughly you've tested this, or how much offset your seeing, but here's some "Food for thought", based on a few quick calcs in Ballistic, shooting 600 yds with a 200 yd zero...

Spin drift is good for 1.5" right.

1 mph wind (essentially unnoticeable) is good for another 1.25"

Shooting due north/south will add another 3/4" to the right from coriolis

1° scope can't (almost imperceptible) will add another 1" or so.

In the above scenario, not accounting for some pretty subtle variables stacks up to about 4"-5" to the right.

You can add other similarly subtle variables, (e.g. B.C. variance, aerodynamic jump, scope cant, etc) and get a few inches high pretty easy too.

To build on this read a little bit and show how easy it is for your reticle to be canted, 2.5° of error can be caused by a 34mm scope tube being misaligned by 0.74mm. For a 1" tube it's half a millimeter. Most bubble levels are only accurate to ~3-5° even if you set them up correctly with a level or plumb line. Common rule of thumb for cant induced error is 1° is 5" off at 1000 yards, which works out to 3 inches of error at 600 yards per degree. Your scope could be off by as little as a millimeter, and be either negating or compounding the variables in this ^^^ post.

What are you using for ballistic solutions?

Great test thank you, will do 👍