.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

Idaho

What dies would one need to form 300 Norma brass. Would a bushing die be needed as well as a fl die.

I'm not sure. I made my dies. I used a 338 Lapua reamer and ran it in so the shoulder was in the die about 1/2". I made 3 dies this way with .413, .393, and .375" neck diameters. The last step is to run the cases in my 30-338 Norma Imp bushing die. It takes a long time to do it but the end result is worth it. Swamplord has the best route since he has dies for all kinds of calibers based on this case. If there were dies available for the 375 Norma then a person could probably use the whole series of Norma dies to get there. You might be able to take a 338 Norma FL die and have it modified to a 375 and get there. Forester FL only dies are relatively cheap at 37.00 each. Modifying a hardened die isn't all the easy to get a nice finished product though.

Bushing dies don't usually allow for a lot of clearance over the parent case neck diameter. My Whidden dies are only about .020" over neck diameter and will have to go back since I requested more when I had them made in case I wanted to use them for a 338. They do this so you don't have any sizing issues at the neck shoulder junction.

Starting load development for my 300NM. I've never seen this powder burn pattern before. I've always seen burn residue on the neck, but never going down the shoulder. This is the first reload on Norma brass. Powder is H1000. Charge weight is 86.5grs under a Berger 215gr hybrid. I am using Forrester die set: FL resizer and micrometer bullet seater. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it? Thanks.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender copy.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 132
Got this from Corey @ Berger for their 215gr pills:

215 Grain, PN: 30423 Bullet, CIP 3.680" COAL, 26" Barrel

H1000: Starting load: 83.5gr Max: 87.7 Max vel: 2932 98% case fill
RE-33: Starting load: 92.5 Max: 97.3 Max vel: 3007 98% case fill
Retumbo: Starting load: 87.0 Max: 91.7 Max vel: 2974 101% case fill
Viht N570: Starting load: 88.0 Max: 92.8 Max vel: 3018 98% case fill

Starting load development for my 300NM. I've never seen this powder burn pattern before. I've always seen burn residue on the neck, but never going down the shoulder. This is the first reload on Norma brass. Powder is H1000. Charge weight is 86.5grs under a Berger 215gr hybrid. I am using Forrester die set: FL resizer and micrometer bullet seater. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it? Thanks.

Jon, you probably all ready know this; but this may help, was this the first firing forming on that brass? If you can get a neck die, and a body die it may allow that shoulder to seal off now since the brass has been fire formed to your chamber, I'm using a neck die ( http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/categories/reloading-diesand) and a body die (Redding) wit about a .002 shoulder bump, just so the bolt will close smooth, with very good results** after the new brass has been fire formed at least once. I encountered to much pressure with H1000 to my liking and have switch to H50bmg and getting good results and I believe longer brass life, using 230's. Pushing 230's at 2797 to 2800, Max spread has been 3fps. I hope this information is helpful.

Jon, you probably all ready know this; but this may help, was this the first firing forming on that brass? If you can get a neck die, and a body die it may allow that shoulder to seal off now since the brass has been fire formed to your chamber, I'm using a neck die ( http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/categories/reloading-diesand) and a body die (Redding) wit about a .002 shoulder bump, just so the bolt will close smooth, with very good results** after the new brass has been fire formed at least once. I encountered to much pressure with H1000 to my liking and have switch to H50bmg and getting good results and I believe longer brass life, using 230's. Pushing 230's at 2797 to 2800, Max spread has been 3fps. I hope this information is helpful.

Excellent info - thanks Chandalar!

time to get the 300NM out for a 200yd zero check.

I keep searing off my front bipod swivel stud. HS Stock with a 9-13 Harris:
does anybody have this issue? i need to get a hardened swivel stud or come up with another plan as in different set up?

what set up do you have to hold on a 9-13 leg notch swivel Harris bi-pod?

Just a heads up on the 423 Dakota Brass at Grafs....

I called Grafs a 1/2 hour ago, ordered another 1k pcs and asked what they got left, she said after my order was confirmed the have 8,520 pcs left, another 1k was ordered by a friend so that leaves 7,520 pcs .......

wonder how long it will last at 1k per order ?

Not long. I ordered the last of it last night, 860 rounds. I forgot to order more and another guy that is building a 30-338 Norma Imp just like mine told me he ordered some so I went to order 1000 rounds and they didn't have that much in stock. I had to keep playing with the numbers until i got to the amount they had left. They've probably sold more in the last 6 months then they did in the whole rest of the time they have been sitting on it. If I anneal it and get 15-20+ reloads I could wear out 20+ barrels with the brass I have now. I don't think I'll run out in my lifetime unless I start shooting a lot more of those few guns. 7500 rounds of brass in 23 days or 9500 in 24 or 25 days with Swamplords is pretty good brass sales.

There was another outfit selling the same brass but they didn't have it discounted like Graf's
Now there will be a bunch of guys wishing they'd got in on the deal ..

I'm doing several different wildcats on the 423 Dakota brass I got,
including a couple fifties on the case, improved & 35* shoulders ... a .500 & .510 .... next to the 338 Norma Mag in pic ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 127
So I have to ask. I know there has been some slightly different versions of the 7mm-300WM. Has any one done a 7mm-300norma or a 7mm-300norma improved. Sounds like that may be an interesting build or is that what the 7mmLRM is? It seems like it may be a more efficient case than the 7mm RUM getting the same are really close to the same velocities.

Recent Posts