7-300 norma magnum vs. 7 dakota

300spanker

A friend of mine just received some new 300 norma mag brass. and it got us thinking, we are both in the middle a 7mm build. i was wondering what you folks think the velocity difference would be between the 7 dakota and a 7-300 norma mag. shooting the new 195 grain bergers with a 26 inch barrel. the quality of the brass maybe a litte different as well even though both are made by norma. i heard that the new norma mag brass was made with more webbing to compete with the lapua brass. any thoughts would be great.gun)

Are you thinking 7mm-.338 NORMA? I havent heard of the 300 Norma mag, though there is a .308 norma mag. If your thinking about the 7-.338 NORMA, i would look up .284 JAZZ. 308nate on this site has built several 7-.338norma's that he calls the .284 JAZZ.

The Norma case is 108 gr. h20 in a 338. It is quite large capacity over the Dakota, few on here had the 284 jazz, thinkit pushed a 190 @3200, True Blue had one.

Last edited:
I think the Dakota is the ideal size for the 7. The Norma would be a screamer.

I'm interested in this area too. I have a 7stw and 2 7wsm's. The 7 dakota is just a little less capacity than my 7 stw but the case is long. The dakota is shorter and a short action is desirable. I'm thinking 7-300 WSM next. A shooter set a bench rest record in europe with it. Pretty impressive article if you read it. He used the 300 wsm case as both Norma and Lapua make it and it has a longer neck than the 7 WSM case. Any thoughts on that?

They don't I was mistaken, sorry, it is Norma only that makes 300 WSM brass but they are good at it. Here's an article that intrigued me into thinking about a 7-300 WSM build. Using 7 WSM brass or better yet, because Norma makes 300 WSM brass and the neck is longer than 7 WSM cartridge made for some serious interest in 7-300 WSM. Here's a great article from a bench rest champion shooter. Vince B.

Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker (7 Win Short Mag)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.