7-300 Norma Mag Improved

Huntnful

Just starting a fresh thread to clean up the info gathered through all the testing in the last thread to make it easier to find in one post. I'll also document the season with this rifle. Since this is its final configuration… maybe hahaha.

But for a brief update, I have a forming barrel now. Goal for the build was to shoot 180 ELDM's with H1000. I already knew good charge weights based off of previous barrels. But I have also gotten good charge weights on several bullets and powders that I will share here at the end as well as velocities.

Built by @Barehandlineman11 at High Voltage Armory

Bat Vesper Action
Adjustable KS1 stock
26" Brux #6 1-9 twist
4 Port .760" SS SRS brake
TT diamond trigger
M5 DBM bottom metal
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18X44

IMG_2498.jpeg

IMG_1833.jpeg

First 5 shots out of the gun with 180 ELDM's
IMG_2505.jpeg

I did a small seating depth test, where .010
jam seem to shoot the best. But they all shot well honestly.

So I loaded up .010 jam with 83.5gr. & 84.0gr. H1000 and shot both at 730 yards to see if one stood out.

This was 83.5 grains H1000

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

This was 84gr. H1000

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

I decided on 83.5 because of the lack of vertical dispersion. Maybe a fluke. But I just believe the target and move on.

Then I did a 9 shot zero with my final load. 8 shots landing into a .4 group. All shots felt great. So flyer is just part of the group. Maybe brass prep, maybe just dispersion. Came up .1 and right .1 and then set my zero.
IMG_3054.jpeg

Then I went straight to 1220 yards to set the BC. First shot hit low, so I made the correction and shot 4 more for a "group". BC ended up needing to be .385 G7 to line up the impacts at 1220.

Some realistic speeds you can expect to achieve with different bullets and powders. These are legit easy bolt lift, no flat primer or ejector mark charge weights.

H1000:

84gr. 180 ELDM 3160-3190fps
85gr. 180 Hybrid 3180-3210fps
80gr. 190 LRHT 3030-3060fps
84gr. 160 copper rose 3250fps

N570:
90gr. 180 ELDM 3320-3350fps
87gr. 190 LRHT 3200-3230fps
90gr. 160 Copper Rose 3420-3450fps

I'm shooting the 160 Copper Rose in CA and 180 ELDM everywhere else. I loaded up 8 copper rose with 90 gr. N570 and they shot a 5 shot sub MOA group at 600 yards with zero load work so I'm not going to put any more work into them. Most of my hunts are out state. That guy makes a great copper bullet though. Just not preference for all of my hunting.

Last edited:
Went and did a DIY aoudad ewe hunt and was able to take 2 nice ewes with the 7-300 NMI.

180 ELDM at 3160FPS

First ewe was 605 yards. Quartering to me. Hit her just forward from center of the shoulder. She went about 20 yards.
IMG_3239.jpeg

After removing the shoulder, there was a 3" wound channel with the lungs exposed. No exit.
IMG_3262.jpeg

The second ewe was 472 yards, perfectly broadside. I hit her dead center of shoulder.
She made it maybe 15 yards.
IMG_3338.jpeg

Exit about the size of a golf ball.
IMG_3324.jpeg

This was the setup for the shot on the second ewe.
IMG_3310.jpeg

Overall it was an extremely fun and pretty tough hunt in some remote, rugged country!! Gun and bullet performed flawlessly.

@Barehandlineman11 at High Voltage Armory builds a hell of a rifle 🙌🏼

I'll share the videos once I get them uploaded.

Awesome gun sir!

I just got my reamer in from WTO about two weeks ago... I'm pumped to up to get one running!

I think we all need to review the 4mils of muzzle jump, dead on vertical tracking, and the fact that that the sheep pretty much never left your ocular. That's a great brake and great shooting right there.

Last edited:
Them suckers are tough if they can stay on their feet after taking hits like that.

On a side note, what are your bc truing up to be with that 180eld?

Them suckers are tough if they can stay on their feet after taking hits like that
You know how the US Marines got the international leg of their history started by going after the Barbary Pirates in Tripoli? Aoudad are also know as Barbary Sheep.

Meaning you need either a big rifle or a lot of crayons to take them on 🤣

Awesome gun sir!

I just got my reamer in from WTO about two weeks ago... I'm pumped to up to get one running!

I think we all need to review the 4mils of muzzle jump, dead on vertical tracking, and the fact that that the sheep pretty much never left your ocular. That's a great brake and great shooting right there.
Very nice! It's a fun cartridge!

It's really cool having the through scope video to see the exact things you mentioned! I like to break the shot, leave the reticle wherever it lands, watch the impact and animal reaction, then reload for a follow up 🤙🏼.

Them suckers are tough if they can stay on their feet after taking hits like that.

On a side note, what are your bc truing up to be with that 180eld?
You aren't kidding! They are tough and react immediately after impact with a crazy flight mechanism in their brain!

.385 G7 at 1200 yards out of a 1-9 twist