300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

He really does!!!

Here's a seating depth line up from some different bullets in his reamer! These are all just barely not touching the lands. These are pretty unscientific. Just sharpied the bullets and seated them until the lands totally quit marking the sharpy. They could all go probably .02 longer and not really bind into the lands at all.

View attachment 448263
View attachment 448264
View attachment 448265
View attachment 448266
View attachment 448267
Are you going to improve this one or just leave it as a standard Norma?

Slipping in a highjack of sorts, but if you don't ask - you don't know. In your opinion - what are the pros/cons to AI over standard 300 Norma?
Slight gain in powder capacity but the main benefit is little to no case growth so less trimming and less working the brass to fight growth.

And the con would be the fire forming process. Cost for components and do not forget the extra barrel wear.
Those "cons" are an internet myth - fireforming loads shoot just fine. I have no problems at all taking them past 1k yards. You don't get the full benefit of the modified chamber on the first firing, but you give up nothing on an unmodified chamber either. I hit 300 PRC speeds fireforming 30 SM cases with excellent accuracy, so I'm not sure what the problem is?

Those "cons" are an internet myth - fireforming loads shoot just fine. I have no problems at all taking them past 1k yards. You don't get the full benefit of the modified chamber on the first firing, but you give up nothing on an unmodified chamber either. I hit 300 PRC speeds fireforming 30 SM cases with excellent accuracy, so I'm not sure what the problem is?
To get to the performance level of the intended benefit of the IMPROVED version, you have to do the fire forming regardless If you use standard 300 NM loads. And, yes they can shoot really well, but not the ultimate end as to why going to the Improved. So, I still stand by my Con post or otherwise why do the Improved. Been there done it.

Right right, because heaven forbid the first shot be "just as good if not better than the unimproved" so the second thru forever-est shot will be better 🤣

What you're saying is you'll accept fireforming load performance every time, because you can't get better results the first time.

Even brass in unimproved chambers performs better after at least a single firing.

And the con would be the fire forming process. Cost for components and do not forget the extra barrel wear.

Meh, Fireforming doesn't bother me. On most big magnums like this, they aren't shot a lot anyway, at least as a hunting rig.

The 300NMI is so easy to tune that I use fireforming loads for group tuning a bullet. Once it's formed and on its second loading usually only minor tweaking is required.

I would venture to say unless someone pushed a 300NMI REALLY hard, 100 pieces of ADG brass would be all they would ever need to buy and 200 rounds would last most hunters a LONG time.

Meh, Fireforming doesn't bother me. On most big magnums like this, they aren't shot a lot anyway, at least as a hunting rig.

The 300NMI is so easy to tune that I use fireforming loads for group tuning a bullet. Once it's formed and on its second loading usually only minor tweaking is required.

I would venture to say unless someone pushed a 300NMI REALLY hard, 100 pieces of ADG brass would be all they would ever need to buy and 200 rounds would last most hunters a LONG time.
I agree, but don't like using those extra components for fire forming especially when they are so difficult to obtain.

These dudes all nailed both the pros and the cons.

I will say one con I underestimated is that the brass really takes 2 firings to actually form well to the chamber. So I have Ty form my first 100 pieces in his forming chamber. And then I'll fully form them with a higher charge in my actual chamber

These dudes all nailed both the pros and the cons.

I will say one con I underestimated is that the brass really takes 2 firings to actually form well to the chamber. So I have Ty form my first 100 pieces in his forming chamber. And then I'll fully form them with a higher charge in my actual chamber
I hear this all the time. I'll have to measure shoulder datum to see how much merit there is to that.