300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

Here's a comparison of both of my basically finalized loads, with verified velocities and BC's. At sea level (where I live) and at 7000' (roughly the lowest elevation I hunt). That high .391 BC of the 225 sure does start playing a big factor with impact velocities, energy and wind drift at 500+ yards.

181 Hammer Hunter & 225 ELDM
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 4.37.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 4.33.00 PM.png

Here's a comparison of both of my basically finalized loads, with verified velocities and BC's. At sea level (where I live) and at 7000' (roughly the lowest elevation I hunt). That high .391 BC of the 225 sure does start playing a big factor with impact velocities, energy and wind drift at 500+ yards.

181 Hammer Hunter & 225 ELDM
View attachment 378686
View attachment 378687
Yup, it makes up that 300 fps disadvantage in about 300 yards. By the time your past the point blank range, and have to start dialing or holding anyway, it really doesn't even compare. I use hammers in my guns that I won't ever use for dialing, or sub 500 yard guns that are somewhat underpowered, like my niece's 6.5 cm she uses for everything up to elk, in my opinion they work fantastic for those uses. For really stretching out there though, I look for something that combines good terminal performance with a higher bc.

You still planning on running a duel load? The 181's for closer stuff, and the 225's for reaching out? If they both shoot close enough to same poi, you would have a pretty good combo there!

Yup, it makes up that 300 fps disadvantage in about 300 yards. By the time your past the point blank range, and have to start dialing or holding anyway, it really doesn't even compare. I use hammers in my guns that I won't ever use for dialing, or sub 500 yard guns that are somewhat underpowered, like my niece's 6.5 cm she uses for everything up to elk, in my opinion they work fantastic for those uses. For really stretching out there though, I look for something that combines good terminal performance with a higher bc.

You still planning on running a duel load? The 181's for closer stuff, and the 225's for reaching out? If they both shoot close enough to same poi, you would have a pretty good combo there!
I'd really have to play with it (and I will) to even consider it honestly. But that would be an ideal elk setup. I don't think I'd want to shoot an elk up close with a 225 ELDM. But long range at lower velocities, I think it'd be perfect.

So when I ordered the rifle, the whole intention was for Berger 215's/230's and max 1200 yards. But I had been playing with hammers at the time, but not killed any big game with them. Then I hunted the whole season with them last year, and liked their terminal performance and ease of load development. So then I thought, well a 900 yard copper load would be plenty good. Once I got that finally dialed in, I still wanted to play with the big lead bullets a little bit, and already saw that the 225's shot decent during fire forming, so thought "what the hell". Now after shooting the lead and crunching real numbers I'm like "****, these big lead bullets are pretty badass" haha.

So basically I'm in a dilemma, but don't have any rifle elk hunts this year, which is good. I have 2 out of state rifle deer hunts, that I think I'll be using the 225's on to get some terminal data. A buck isn't soaking up a 225gr. bullet at any range and walking away from it, so it'd be good for testing.

I know the hammers perform. They shoot and kill good. But that .248 BC left me looking for more as far as true long range capabilities with some wind forgiveness. I'm just a tinkerer, and I'm tinkering haha. But I also like real world data, and I'm going to get it and find out for myself haha.

Also I have to check how far out the zeros when I switched bullets. I believe it was only two clicks out vertically and one click out horizontally. I'd feel very comfortable with the hammers at 500-600 yards and the ELDM beyond that though.

So then I thought, well a 900 yard copper load would be plenty good. ....But that .248 BC left me looking for more as far as true long range capabilities with some wind forgiveness
You're SOL with the 9.5 twist for monos, takes 8 or better to spin the big ones. PacNor will do 4, 5, and 6 twist 308 barrels, hopefully we start seeing 6-8 twist 308s from more manufacturers to bring the caliber back in line with the 6-7mm heavies that have been coming out lately.

I wouldn't hesitate. The results are pretty spectacular, we're not talkin' about a 120 grain varmint bullet here. If you shoot a bull through both front shoulders at 75 yards with a 225 at 3000 FPS+ I guarantee he will be thoroughly impressed.
Haha yeah that's a good point. It's a pretty **** big bullet!

Benchmark barrels will cut whatever barrel you want also, they're making their own carbon barrels as well so gives you options if you want to run heavy monos.
Most companies will do customs but with the current backlog the wait times will be over a year with all the bigger known barrel companies I checked with.