300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

I've had mixed results with Hammer bullets in my guns. Sometimes they tune super easy and sometimes I just give up on them. At $1+ per bullet if I can't get a load tuned in a 50 round box of them I just move on.
I've not been able to find a good load in my 260AI. I'm talking a gun that's a .250MOA with Bergers has been as much as 3" with Hammers.
Oh I totally agree about that. I just don't think this little accuracy issue is solely on the shoulders of the bullet. I'm sure it's just me learning a new magnum cartridge and lighter bullets and powers and what not. I'm in it to learn on this one for sure. 3 sub MOA groups at 500 yards, isn't terrible, but I believe the bullet just wants to do better, and it's up to me to figure it out haha.

I know I can throw N570 and 230 bergers and a 215M and be up and running fairly quickly if I really wanted to. That load is proven over and over. But I'm wanting to learn this lighter faster load for sure!

I hear ya. Lightest I will try in mine is the 199 Hammers. I just don't see the reason to shoot a big boomer with light bullets.

I had it throated for 230 Hybrids but plan to try the 199 & 214 Hammers, 205 Badlands, 230 A Tips and cutting edge lazers and 250 A Tips. Whichever one tunes the easiest is what I'll shoot.

I hear ya. Lightest I will try in mine is the 199 Hammers. I just don't see the reason to shoot a big boomer with light bullets.

I had it throated for 230 Hybrids but plan to try the 199 & 214 Hammers, 205 Badlands, 230 A Tips and cutting edge lazers and 250 A Tips. Whichever one tunes the easiest is what I'll shoot.
Let us know what happens with those Lazers, I'm interested.

Man I used to think just like that until I started shooting the copper and understanding them a little more. I have the 199's also. The design just seems inferior to the 181's. They have a shallower hollow point (smaller fragments on impact), fatter nose/ogive and all the weight is in the shank. Weight doesn't matter near as much with copper as it does with a fragmenting lead bullet. Basically with a heavier hammer, all you get is a bigger shank. So if you want a big *** shank for crazy penetration I'd say go for it, but I think the remaining shank of the 181 seems plenty heavy for deep deep penetration.

That's a 181HH, 215 Hybrid, 199HH & 230 hybrid. The hollow point is .1" deeper on the 181 if I remember correctly.
E1E417B9-F916-4525-B6C3-DF1C91D01C59.jpeg

The CCI 250's are much hotter than the 215's or WLRM's.
actually if I'm not mistaken its been found the F215 is hotter than the cci250 but the cci250 has a harder/thicker cup..
It has been a while, but there was an article claiming the WLRM was the hottest. There was also an article that the CCI250 and 215s are nearly identical, around 100 PSI, IIRC. "My" preference in order is CCI250, 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M. However, I am using 9 1/2M on my .300 WSM with excellent results, go figure. I guess you need to find the complementary component for the load.

Data from this morning. Safely getting the velocities that I was wanting with decent accuracy. I feel like I pulled that left impact on the 95.5gr. I labeled the shots in the order they were taken this time.

I adjusted .4 Mils down when I shot the 96gr. group and that first impact hit too close to the bottom for me to chance the next two not hitting. So I came up .2 Mils and then just transferred those impacts back down 3.6".

I also just shot 3 in a row with no cool down between rounds this time. And probably 6 minutes cool down between groups.

I like how the velocities were starting to tighten up at 96gr. and still a decent group. I think I'm going to load about 15 at 96gr. and test some seating depths in .03 increments with my mobile seater next time.

E2CC6CC9-9A93-4F94-A9A3-1783A65E277B.jpeg

It has been a while, but there was an article claiming the WLRM was the hottest. There was also an article that the CCI250 and 215s are nearly identical, around 100 PSI, IIRC. "My" preference in order is CCI250, 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M. However, I am using 9 1/2M on my .300 WSM with excellent results, go figure. I guess you need to find the complementary component for the load.
yeah I mean I'm not saying that its leaps and bounds hotter but their is a reason the 215m and WLRM are the go too primers for large lots of powder needing burned..

and in the "several" rifles I've tested over a CHRONO the 215 and WLRM are clearly hotter

Last edited:
yeah I mean I'm not saying that its leaps and bounds hotter but their is a reason the 215m and WLRM are the go too primers for large lots of powder needing burned..
Yes, Sir, I fully understand, as the saying goes, YMMV.

ADDED: I found one of the articles for what it is worth.

Incidentally, these same tests revealed that the Federal 215 and CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers produced nearly identical pressures. The difference between these two primers was only 100 psi. A-Square also reported that, while they had not tested these two primers in all possible cartridges, this result was typical of their experience with these two primers.

Basically, I follow the recommendations of whatever reloading manual I am using as a reference regarding the proper brand and type of primer to use. For example, if the load in the manual was developed using a WLR large rifle primer, then that is what I use. If one brand of primer (of the same type) must be substituted for another, the conventional wisdom is to reduce the recommended powder charge by 10% (assuming the load is not already at the minimum) and work back up slowly.

I don't know how valid it is, but the opinion of many reloaders seems to be that Winchester primers are generally the "hottest," Federal and CCI are the middle brands, and Remington primers are the mildest. That is also my impression, but understand that it is based on rumor and supposition, not fact.

(SOURCE: https://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm)

she' liking them CCI250's ..
amazing what simple little primer will do yeah?
Pretty crazy. And it also shifted my POI at 100 yards by .6 Mils to the left. With just a primer swap lol.

But yes, I couldn't get anywhere near 1 MOA with the 215M's at 3400fps.

This whole rifle (first wildcat) and load development is a huge learning process for me for sure.

My experience as well… my 300 Rum stayed around .75+ MOA until it hit 3400 fps… and it tightened up to quarter MOA
**** that's wild! At 96gr. I'll stay just above 3400 as well and I think it'll come together here pretty soon!

Pretty crazy. And it also shifted my POI at 100 yards by .6 Mils to the left. With just a primer swap lol.

But yes, I couldn't get anywhere near 1 MOA with the 215M's at 3400fps.

This whole rifle (first wildcat) and load development is a huge learning process for me for sure.

**** that's wild! At 96gr. I'll stay just above 3400 as well and I think it'll come together here pretty soon
Every single rifle I've done that is shooting hammers has done the same thing .. they LOVE speed!!!