300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

I'm just following along. But my 300 HCA should be done a few days. Here's my build specs.
Kelbly Atlas
Manners EH1
27" HCA Heavy Hunter 8 twist throated for 245 EH
TiPro3
Hawkins BDL
Bix n' Andy Dakota
Revic PMR428

I'm going the other way I've got plenty of 30's to shoot lighter bullets and I wanted a mag feed rifle to shoot heavies.

I'm just following along. But my 300 HCA should be done a few days. Here's my build specs.
Kelbly Atlas
Manners EH1
27" HCA Heavy Hunter 8 twist throated for 245 EH
TiPro3
Hawkins BDL
Bix n' Andy Dakota
Revic PMR428

I'm going the other way I've got plenty of 30's to shoot lighter bullets and I wanted a mag feed rifle to shoot heavies.
Sounds like a badass build!!

I can't leave anything alone lol. But I figured if I'm already grinding the rail, I might as well just grind it enough to use my .92 height seekins rings for even better scope height. They're also little narrower which lets me slide the scope back just a hair more. If I put the sunshade on, it's adds a few ounces and let's me use the scope cap without shaving the bottom of it. I'll definitely leave it in these rings, and if I don't want the sunshade I'll just shave the bottom of the scope cap enough to get clearance. I also tapered the rail to match the angle of the scope bell better. That was bugging me lol.

6377B706-F7AB-455B-8657-048EBC05F8E6.jpeg

I can't leave anything alone lol. But I figured if I'm already grinding the rail, I might as well just grind it enough to use my .92 height seekins rings for even better scope height. They're also little narrower which lets me slide the scope back just a hair more. If I put the sunshade on, it's adds a few ounces and let's me use the scope cap without shaving the bottom of it. I'll definitely leave it in these rings, and if I don't want the sunshade I'll just shave the bottom of the scope cap enough to get clearance. I also tapered the rail to match the angle of the scope bell better. That was bugging me lol.

View attachment 375805
OCD sucks doesn't it? 😁

100% a great learning experience so far. Learned how to fire form and that a TI action is potentially robbing me of extra FPS and showing early pressure signs based on other peoples experiences as well. Which would be fine, except I was shooting for a 10lb rifle, and my rifle is only 9.17lbs. So that exact difference would be if I just used a standard action haha. Great info for next time!
Are you getting stiff bolt lift without ejector marks?

Are you getting stiff bolt lift without ejector marks?
Not at all actually. Also, I don't know if it's normal for these Lapua bolt faces or something, but this ejector is stupid strong. I feel like it'd throw my cases 15' if I wasn't catching them. I can barely push it in by hand with a screw driver.

Seating depth adjustment proved fruitful. I had a feeling I was a little too close to the lands lol.

The larger group at 500 with my original seating depth was also shots 3, 4 & 5 out of a clean barrel so I'm not holding too much against that. But it clearly tightened up when I seated the hammers another .05 deeper.

I painted the steel again and went back to 800 yards and shot a 5 shot .625 group. It did come up fairly low, but I'll double check my zero (I don't have any more rounds loaded now) take an average velocity and then adjust BC accordingly on my next trip out.

But I think I'll take a break for the next few days lol.

60B74658-E7AD-4399-A8D7-95610B06A4C9.jpeg

B18DCE67-B5D3-45B4-92DD-B187AD9665F5.jpeg

I would keep playing with seating depth, they might end up going in one hole ! Great job on the "gunsmithing" .... it's your stuff so make it how you like it, truely custom.

I would keep playing with seating depth, they might end up going in one hole ! Great job on the "gunsmithing" .... it's your stuff so make it how you like it, truely custom.
I am going to for sure. I just didn't have many rounds loaded up for today, so when it shot that group at 500, I wanted to go see if it held together down range a bit. I'm definitely going to try seating deeper. I got my velocities where I want and decent accuracy. Now I just get to tinker to see if I can get great accuracy consistently.