300 and 338 Mini Raptor

No Fear in Accuracy

It is been in my head for a while and I want to add a new cartridge in the gap between these cartridges.

Currently I own:
* 6BR - target shooting/close range deer (0 to 600m)
* 6.5x284 Lapua - target shooting/long range deer/short range moose (0 to 1200m)
(when the barrel is worn out, I'll replace it to 284 Shehane)
* GAP??? - target shooting/deer/moose/black bear (500m to 1500m)
* 338 Raptor (future project) - target shooting/long range moose (1000m to 2500m)

I have Savage 12 F-Class Precision Shooting rifle (6.5x284) and I plan to order 2 barrels for 7mm and 338. Also replace the bolt head from .473 to .588

I was researching all short magnum cartridge that will fit in short action (single load), like 300 WSM, 325 WSM (no 338 WSM as of yet), 8.59 Galaxy, so on....

I thought about it and in my mind said "what the heck" ......can I try with 338 Lapua or 338 Excalibur brass and push the shoulder down to similar to 300WSM. (up to 1.7 to 1.8 at the shoulder). It will be bigger and taller than 8.59 Galaxy and 300 WSM.

What should I call it? Something like: 338 Baby Raptor, 338 Mini Raptor or 338 Raptor Short Mag. :)

To my confusion: 338 Excalibur rim dia is .580? 338 Lapua rim dia is .588 I just thought that Excalibur brass is wider than 338 Lapua.

I did adjust the "prototype 338 Raptor SM" for comparison.

Attachments

• 338MiniRaptorComparison.jpg
    338MiniRaptorComparison.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,734
  • 300RaptorSM.jpg
    300RaptorSM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,753
You might also look at the 338 RCM. I have been very pleased with mine.

Dies and reamers are readily available. ballistics would be about the same as your wildcat.

I built mine on a Mod 7 Remington action to be a very compact and light carry rifle with lots of knockdown power and use the 225 Accubonds @ 2790 ft/sec. Best accuracy to date has been
A .207 5 shot group at 100 yards.

I like to mess with wildcats my self but if there is something very close I normally go with a factory
round for ease of loading and cost.

Just a thought.

J E CUSTOM

That's true. If the "prototype" wildcat is similar to 338 RCM, then I'll take a look at it. I guess I overlooked at this cartridge.

Sometimes, I feel that I'm wasting time and money by pushing the shoulder down, cut off a piece of brass and be able to fit in short action. Now, it is no longer called 338 Lapua. (perhaps called it 338 Lapua midget?) :)

What you see the prototype wildcat in the photo isn't real. I resized it from 338 Lapua to 338 Lapua Short Mag in Photoshop. It costs me nothing. :)

Suppose, I have Stiller Tac 338 long action with the bolt face .588, I can switch the barrel, one for 338 Lapua and one for 338 Lapua Short Mag. Depending if I'm at the open field or in the bush on that day...

I only want Lapua brass therefore they don't make for 338 Win Mag.

Lapua offers 6BR, 6x5.284.....to 338 Lapua Magnum. I'd like to see the bolt face .588-.590 in short action. Who has done that?

7mm Fatso did that.

That's true. If the "prototype" wildcat is similar to 338 RCM, then I'll take a look at it. I guess I overlooked at this cartridge.

Sometimes, I feel that I'm wasting time and money by pushing the shoulder down, cut off a piece of brass and be able to fit in short action. Now, it is no longer called 338 Lapua. (perhaps called it 338 Lapua midget?) :)

What you see the prototype wildcat in the photo isn't real. I resized it from 338 Lapua to 338 Lapua Short Mag in Photoshop. It costs me nothing. :)

Suppose, I have Stiller Tac 338 long action with the bolt face .588, I can switch the barrel, one for 338 Lapua and one for 338 Lapua Short Mag. Depending if I'm at the open field or in the bush on that day...

I did not mean to talk you out of making a wild cat, just that there are other cartridges that are very close to what you want to end up with.

I also like the Lapua brass but it is not necessary on all cartridges so often times I use other brands and have good luck with it.

To me, messing with a parent case and making something different is fun, but sometimes just not worth the effort or cost if a standard cartridge will do the same.

I like wild cats that fill a void between factory cartridges in performance that best suits the need.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.