Raptor LRSS 338 Allen Xpress

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Another one ready to head to a happy owner. This is a rather unique version of my Raptor LRSS. It uses the relatively new McMillan A5 thumbhole stock which I have always been impressed with. Also finished in a bi color transition style cerakote finish in metal, scope, rings and bipod. Turned out very nice and shoots lights out.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

The chambering is easily the most flexible and versatile of all my wildcat offerings. The 338 Allen Xpress is my version of the 338 Lapua Improved wildcat. I say my version because a true Ackley Improved design on a case the diameter of the 338 Lapua will not work well and will limit the amount of pressure you can use and still have good extraction performance. My design allows for max pressures to use my big Raptor receiver to its full advantage and extraction is effortless. For example, this rifle will break 3100 fps easily with the 300 gr berger EH and do it with conventional, long lasting throat designs and with an OAL of 3.750" to fit in the detachable mag box. Accuracy load I tested in this rifle was 103.0 gr Ramshot Magnum lit with a Fed-215 primer for an average velocity of 3068 fps. Very comfortable recoil. EASY to spot my shots testing from 300 to 1000 yards. Not even difficult to see bullets land with my Painkiller muzzle brake.

IMG_0880.JPG

What makes these rifles extremely practical is that even though they produce +3000 fps with 300 gr bullet weights, producing up to 6400 ft/lbs of energy, having a barrel life measured in the thousands of rounds, in fact same as the standard 338 Lapua. And add to that, has a wide range of bullet weights that work well in it, from 200 gr up to 300 and even heavier. And then the fact that standard 338 Lapua ammo can be fired in these rifles safely and generally shoot well under 1 moa so very useful if needed to use in the field in the case of an emergency. For the serious heavy big game hammer, there are few peers, especially on game north of 600 lbs and at ranges over 1/2 mile.

Thank for an awesome rifle Kirby and your talents and write ups on information are second to none!! I can say a little more here because my wife can see my Facebook posts! 🤣 but I can't wait to get the rifle, I know I will be impressed and continue to have you build my rifles in the future!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.