APS Raptor LRSS 7mm Allen Magnum

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Was able to get out today and test two rifles which are the ultimate in my view for shoulder fired precision and performance. Both are very similar in design, both are my Raptor Long Range Shooting System (LRSS). Both are also single shot and both are chambered in my 7mm Allen Magnum wildcat. This is one of my most popular wildcats for good reason but for those not familiar with it, the 7mm Allen Magnum is a 338 Lapua Mag case, necked down to 7mm, shoulder moved forward and then fire formed to my Improved design providing the ultimate compromise in case capacity and extraction performance with max pressures, even with the cases get a bit long in the tooth.
Being single shot Raptor LRSS, we were not limited by magazine length, which is not overly critical in the 7mm Allen Magnum but using the 195 gr Berger EH seated just to the base of the neck, the OAL of the ammo is 3.910".

DSC_0198.JPG

The main advantage of the single shot Raptor receiver is its Brute strength. Even the Raptor repeater is pretty much the strongest receiver in this size class and has as much shear strength on the bolt lugs as most receivers designed for use with the 408 Cheytac cartridges.

Being a single shot, solid bottom receiver, there is no weak link in this receiver like there is in a repeating receiver with very little steel supporting the bottom lug on a repeating receiver. Its just amazing how strong my Raptor receiver is and taking it to the next level as a single shot is even more rigid.

I took several pictures to show the unique features of the Raptor LRSS rifle. The first pic shows the complete right side of the Raptor LRSS. Standard Stocks are the McMillan A5 with integral adjustable cheek piece. This rifle has the adjustable LOP shim system option. Jewell triggers with bottom safety set at 1 to 1.5 lbs are standard. Metal ADL style trigger guard protects the trigger.

The Raptor Match receiver used on the Raptor LRSS has the small match ejection port for added strength. The bolt is 0.750" diameter and fluted with extra wide, extra deep flutes. The firing pin spring is an extra heavy spring to make sure lock time is as short as possible and to insure the firing pin has maximum energy to efficently ignite any primer consistently.

DSC_0199.JPG

The full length 20 moa steel rail base is mounted with 6, 8-40 mounting bolts and also pinned to the receiver with three heat treated 1/8" pins which locks the rail to the receiver and prevents any rail slippage that WILL happen as a result of the extreme G-forces generated by my Painkiller muzzle brake.

The recoil lug is also double pinned to the receiver. You can also see that the receiver thread Tennion is MUCH longer then conventional receivers. This is so that there is much more thread engagement so that the Raptor receiver can support heavy, long barrels with no issues with barrel ship of receiver flexing. Finally, the longer receiver length allows for a much longer bedding area mating the receiver to the stock, again to support effortlessly any size or length barrel wanted.

Moving ahead of the receiver we see the unique Raptor LRSS custom contour barrel made for me to my specs by Bartlein. These barrels happen to be 8.7 twist 5R barrels. The Special Raptor LRSS contour is 1.350" diameter and as you can see its a very long full diameter shank, then is contoured and tapers down to roughly a 0.850" muzzle diameter at 30" finish length.

DSC_0200.JPG

Now, this contour is not just for looks. I tested many barrel contours when I was designing my Raptor LRSS rifles for barrel stiffness and rigidity and this design offered the most stable design. Most of the stress developed in a barrel when driving very heavy, very long bullets to high velocity is generated in the first several inches of barrel when the bullet is accelerated from 0 to very high velocity in a fast twist barrel. The long, full diameter barrel shank supports this high stress area perfectly.

Once the bullet gets up to speed by the first 6-7" of barrel length, the bullet produces very little torque from this point on so a lighter barrel contour can easily support these lower torque levels. Contouring the barrel down after this point allows total rifle weight to be less and most importantly the center of balance on these rifles is shifted much farther back toward the receiver so they feel ROCK SOLID on a bipod or off the bags. In testing, this barrel design proved just as stiff and rigid as a 1.250" straight cylinder barrel, however it is lighter and also balances MUCH better.

You will notice also the unique dual flute pattern that also sets the Raptor LRSS apart. This is honestly more cosmetic then anything but it does look cool and also helps to shift balance back toward the receiver even more.

At the end of the muzzle you will notice my Standard for the Raptor LRSS Medium 3 Port Painkiller muzzle brake which makes these rifles pretty much recoilless in the 7mm Allen Magnum.

As far as performacne goes, This rifle used RL33 to max out at 3476 fps with the 195 gr Berger EH. As max load I mean that you can get 3-4 firing per case at this level before primer pockets get to loose to use. My recommended loads to customers MUST be able to have 8-10 firings per case. At this level, this rifle averaged 3405 fps!!!

Tested the rifles today at 1000 yards and they EASILY met my accuracy standards. In fact, they both shot close to 1/3 moa. I will admit that 12 degrees is a bit cool to test rifles in but they performed extremely well.

These two customers opted for the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x 56mm F1. Very good optics. Mounted in four NF ultralight tactical rings. Two of these rings are set up to control recoil energy, the other two are set up to support the extreme Negative G-forces generated by my Painkiller muzzle brake. This is the only method along with the pinned rail base I have found to keep heavy scopes solidly in place for the life of the rifle.

Will post pics of the second rifle ASAP. Both are beasts and both offer extreme level of performance and have hardly any recoil at all. In fact I was basically free recoiling the rifle and could easily spot impacts.

Just for example of the ballistic performance these rifles produce. With the 195 gr Berger launched at 3405 fps, at my 3400 ft elevation and with a 100 yard zero. Muzzle energy is over 5000 ft/lbs. Not bad for a 7mm....

at 500 yards it only needs 5 moa dial up and is packing 2855 fps and 3530 ft/lbs of energy. 10 mph wind only pushes her off course by 1.25 moa.

at 1000 yards they only need 15 moa of dial up. Only 2.5 moa of drift and still packing 2370 fps and 2433 ft/lbs of energy.

at 2000 yards, 46.5 moa dial up, 5.25 moa for wind, 1560 fps and 1050 ft/lbs.

This combo will maintain supersonic velocity to 3000 yards!! Not bad for a rifle that has a 14 lb bare rifle weight.

And again, with hardly any recoil to mention, far less then a 243 Win in a varmint weight rifle!!!!

This is the sibling to the other Raptor LRSS I posted the report on. Only difference is color and this one as ordered with a fixed Cheek Piece. Other then that, identical in performance and accuracy performance. Really have to shoot one of these Raptor LRSS rifles in my 7mm Allen Magnum to get a true impression of their performance and lack of recoil.

These two are headed to two great guys down in the lone star state who have been long time GREAT customers. Very happy they are heading out so they can finally get to enjoy their Raptor LRSS rifles!!!

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

Why do those rifles have twice the number of scope rings than they need ?

they dont, did you read the article? They have exactly the amount they need. My painkiller muzzle brakes have a nasty habit of working scopes and bases loose. The heavier the scope, the more likely the rings will eventually slip on the rail. at first a single set of rings will shoot very well. Then over time what you will see is vertical stringing down range. At times will not be much more then an moa or so but it will be there. Many times its mistaken as velocity spreads. At times its more dramatic and obvious.

pull the scope to make sure everything is tight, remount, rifle will shoot perfect for a while then it comes back. One set of rings is not enough, as discribed above, two rings are positioned forward in the rail slots to support and control recoil energy. the other two rings are positioned to the rear of the ring slot to control the extreme negative g-forces generated by the muzzle brake.

it is not guaranteed that with my 7mm Allen Magnum will cause slipping. Some will, some wont, depends mainly on the weight and height of scope. On my larger caliber wildcats, this WILL be a problem.

again, the heavier the scope, the more critical this is, also the higher the scope is mounted the more of an issue it is. While these two rifles are not coated, a cerakote or other coated rifle almost requires this with my muzzle brakes as the coating reduced the frictional coefficent between the rings and base.

pretty cheap insurance to make sure your scope stays lock solid and never moves EVER..... Because if it can move, it will move at the very worst time possible.

Your explanation makes sense , but why isn't the entire successful shooting industry using twice as many rings as necessary?

because they are not using my Painkiller muzzle brake which causes the problem with its huge amounts or negative g forces. Plus there are very few combos out there that produce the amount of muzzle gas volume and more importantly, muzzle gas PRESSURE that my wildcats produce.

this is not opinion. This took much longer to diagnose in my early days of building rifles then i care to admit as there is no sign of anything slipping. It was a huge issue with my big 338 Allen Magnum and 375 Allen Magnum. Rifles would shoot amazing for the first 30-40 rounds and then we would start to see very significant vertical stringing, 2-3 moa class with 1/4 to 1/2 moa horizontal group variation.

would pull scope, rings and rail off, everything still tight. Reassemble and would repeat exactly the same. Decided to pin the rail base to the receiver and results were a bit better but would still see vertical stringing show up within 40-50 rounds.

tried badger ord max50 solid steel rings and torqued the heck out of the mounting bolts, still was an issue. Then one day i was just sitting there in the shop, about to pull my hair out trying to solve this issue for customers and had a scope mounted on the rail with the clamp screws loose and noticed how much the rings would slide between the rail slots....

so i mounted the big badger ord max 50 with one ring to the rear of the rail and one to the front and even with the clamp bolts loose, there was no for and aft movement on the rail. Took the rifle out and tested and the problem went away. Only down side is that these rings are extremely heavy and on a heavy rifle not a big deal but on mid weight rifles just to much. Plus, i am not a fan of steel rings for the corrosion issues.

so i used my preferred NF ultralight rings and problem seemed to be solved still. Started shipping rifles with scopes mounted this way thinking all was solved, then months later or even years i would start to get calls that customers were seeing vertical stringing in their groups at long range and thinking their rifles were shot out after 200-300 rounds.

it was at this time i decided to try the four ring system, two for recoil, two for negative g forces and this has from that time eliminated the problem for the life of the rifle. Again as mentioned, it may be a bit overkill for the 7mm allen mag but again, its cheap insurance to know your scope will be solid for the life of the rifle.

this all happened over A decade ago and through that entire time i have been getting the question, "why are you using twice as many rings as necessary?" However, never once have i had a customer complain they they are having issues with ring slippage or vertical stringing at long range, even in very old barrels.

now if ring manufacturers made the rib on the bottom of the rings the perfect thickness to be a light press fit into the slots on the rail, this would not be needed but they do not do that because the rail slot width is FAR FROM universal so they make a rib on the ring that will fit in every slot, meaning they are all undersized and will allow movement in the slot.

Excellent explanation. Not trying to run down what you are doing, just out of the norm like everything you've been doing!

Like i said, it all started mainly with my big rifles. Its added insurance on my medium rigs. On my light Stalker rifles it again starts to be a bigger issue because recoil velocity is higher as is deceleration from the muzzle brakes. On those rifles however using my Stalker receiver, there is only room for three rings but that seems to do the job just fine.
89C24E67-84B1-42A2-89BC-A2294B9EAE07.jpeg

I like the explanation, I can understand it well owning a few of you brakes and large rifle.
They are very impressive. So much so I'm shocked every time I shoot one with how the rifle reacts.
Can't wait to get another one of your rifles. Hopefully next year I'll be in a postion to do that.

Kirby how do you like that style Atlas vs the Harris below on the 3 ringed rifle. Looks like it has a much wider footprint and stability. Thanks in advance

I can tell anyone who has thought about one of these I was almost ready to give up on custom rifle so I went turn key on my .375 and it is simply amazing. Bit heavy to pack around but man when it goes off things hit the ground. First shot I ever took was a at a cull ram at 468 dropped it. Second shot was at a pig at 689 same outcome.

This is the sibling to the other Raptor LRSS I posted the report on. Only difference is color and this one as ordered with a fixed Cheek Piece. Other then that, identical in performance and accuracy performance. Really have to shoot one of these Raptor LRSS rifles in my 7mm Allen Magnum to get a true impression of their performance and lack of recoil.

These two are headed to two great guys down in the lone star state who have been long time GREAT customers. Very happy they are heading out so they can finally get to enjoy their Raptor LRSS rifles!!!

View attachment 185059

View attachment 185060

View attachment 185061
Cann't wait to shoot it looks great
Poor pigs!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.