300 Allen Xpress Raptor throwing bullets, pics....

Performance update on the Raptor.

Initial accuracy testing was less then expected. In fact dismal!!! Started out amazing, went south very quickly. Finally realized I had a very rare thing in my hands, a Lilja with a bad bore finish!!! I have never seen one but the barrel would foul to the point that after the first two groups, the group size would go from well under 1/2 moa up to over 2 moa after four three shot groups!!!

Repeated this three times, sub 1/2 moa to start, to well over that after a few groups.

Called up Dan and he said to send it back as he suspected it somehow got out of the shop without being lapped and he would do that for free and return it.

Being a bit unpatient!!!:rolleyes: I found an instock Krieger #17 heavy taper barrel and ordered it while the Lilja was off getting hand rubbed. The Krieger got here and one night after work I fitted and chambered the new test barrel and then the next evening, I fitted the brake and finished the barrel, the third evening, I assembled the rifle and got it ready for testing.

That was nearly a week ago and the winds have been terrible around here. 25 mph has been a calm day with several days breaking 50 mph winds.

One morning the winds were around 20 mph, could hardly tell it was blowing out :mad: and I had a customers rifle I HAD to get tested and shipped so I figured what the hell, bundled up, it was only around 20 degrees and with a 20 mph wind..................

Anyway, set up and tested the customers rifle to get it ready to ship first while I could still feel the important parts that are needed to shoot a rifle. That rifle shot well right off the bat, three shots and back in the truck it went.

Now the wind was picking up and I was shooting over the shooting platform over the back of my S-10 range truck. The wind was getting strong enough to really roll the platform(truck).

Bore sighted the Raptor and took a shot on paper, made one more correction on the scope and shot a 4 shot string. The group made a two pair group, roughly 2" apart, each pair had two shots cutting each other in half...... Not impressed.

Let the barrel cool, in these cold windy conditions, thats about the time it takes to reload the HS magazine!!!

Sent four more down range, second shot dropped out of the group, well, best I could tell the **** truck was rolling so bad I was litterally trying to trip the trigger as the reticle passed over the center of the 1" target square.

The other three shots cut a nearly perfect 1/2 moa triangle. Still there was that one flier.

Set there another 25 seconds to let the barrel cool again:D and then moved over to the next target box. Still playing the moving target game in the scope, these three started to put a smile on my face. First two cut each other in half. Third shot was a flier, wind got me and I called it, the truck rolled up just as the trigger broke and opened up the group to 0.389" ctc. All verticle variation.

Had four rounds left so I loaded three into the DM mag box and lined up on my 500 yard gong. Just guessing the wind and drop numbers from my 100 yard sight in, I held roughly 4 moa high and held into the wind just an about 2 moa for the wind.

As the trigger broke, so did the gong!!! Last year I had punished the gong with my 7mm AM at this range and ripped it off the chains several times. Been meaning to get some stouter chains for that thing. Anyway, the 300 AX hits at that range with **** near the identical amount of energy, only with a larger diameter bullet then the 7mm AM. The hit was 1" to the right of center and about 3/4" high of center. It was to **** cold to rehang the gong and shoot for a group, anyway, one shot one kill, headed to the shop.

The Gen 2 Raptor is being machined up as we speak with all the changes I wanted in the receiver from the Gen 1 receiver. When it gets here and gets proven, It will be released to the public for orders but not until I feel is worthy of you guys.

By the way, the load I was using to test the Krieger barrel was the new 208 gr A-Max over 112.0 gr US869 and a Fed-215 to get things hot. 3440 fps from the 30" Krieger and its not an overly high pressure load for the Lapua case and certainly not the Raptor receiver!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Two questions.

In your first post that showed velocity and max pressure, what was the temperature, and how do you see this affecting summer shooting?

Does the Lilja barrel being not lapped affect the velocity much? Higher or lower.

As a separate issue, much is done to ensure that the receiver and barrel threads match perfectly, do you know if Spiralock threads have ever been used for rifle receivers?

Spiralock Homepage — Spiralock

edge.

Edge,

The temp when I shot the loads in the Lilja barrel was in the 30 degree F range. When I tested in the Krieger barrel, it was closer to 20 degrees F. Not a big difference but some.

First testes however were using the 240 gr SMK in the Lilja, in the Krieger I was using the 208 gr A-Max. That is the reason for the difference in velocity results.

I am sure the Lilja not having a smooth finish would effect velocity to some degree. I would say it would generate more pressure with less velocity.

I have never heard of Spiralock threads being used in a rifle receiver.

Kirby Allen(50)

Spiral lock!

Greg Tannel and Karl of Kampfeld custom rifles uses the Spiral lock threads,I'm sure there must be others. AF

"2. The rail base will be extended to the end of the recevier to offer more room for long scopes and rail accesaries. It will also be made from Stainless Steel instead of the heat treated aluminum which the rail on this base is made from."

Fifty,

Does anyone make and SS rail base that fits a REM 700 LA? What about SS Tactical style (MK4 etc.) rings? If not, is this something you might consider starting? Is there a reason we don't see too many SS bases and rings?

Thanks,

Jon

I think some of the NEAR bases are stainless and he makes stainless rings as well if I remember correctly.

I do not know why we do not see more stainless rails. Probably simply a cost thing. Costs less to make one out of an chrome moly steel and just blue them or teflon coat them.

As far as rings go, I actually prefer aluminum rings with the NF Ultralights being my favorite. They are mostly aluminum but have titanium in the high stress areas where needed so you get the lightweight and high strength as well.

I have no plans on offering any rails or rings at this time. Can not make it pay for itself with manual machines.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thank you. That is helpful.

Jon

Edit: Here is the Near Manufacturing website, if anyone is interested. http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm I wish I'd known about these guys several months ago. I'm tired of having over $200 worth of blued rings and bases rust on hunts. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
As a note on the Near Bases.. they must be stainless. I just got one and it is definately not Aluminum.. Way to heavy.

Check under the optics forum for a thread with pics on it...

Kirby,

Any updates you can give on the status of the Raptor?

Last edited:
Kirby,

Just one ? on the fps and nothing bad but at what temps. are the fps done at, is it cold or warm,because if cold your fps could be higher in the warm weather.I know you probley allready know that but just in case. Some things we forget when we get raped up in some thing.I have done it my self. Tim PS I am sorry I did not read all of this so you may have answered

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.