First 300 Allen Xpress test results...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Was able to get out this morning while testing a couple customers rifles to try out the new 300 Allen Xpress wildcat I designed.

This is nothing more then my 7mm AM necked up to 30 cal. Both are based on the 338 Lapua parent case.

The rifle is the same rifle I took to Idaho to hunt with Shawn Carlock last fall. Just fitted it with a Lawton #8 contour 1-8 LRB barrel of 32" finish length and added a DE 1.000" diameter 4 port brake on here to keep everything comfortable.

First test reveiled that WC872 is to slow in burn rate for this capacity with most bullet weights. Early numbers showed that with the 265 gr bullet weights, +3000 fps was easily attainable with mild pressures.

With the 200 gr Accubond, I got up to 119.0 gr of WC872 which produced 3491, 3487 and 3481 fps for the three test loads at that level. If I could have gotten more powder in the case I would have because the pressures were still very comfortable. I will need to step up the burn rate to see what this thing will really do.

US869 may get me what I want and if not I will test retumbo and see what happens. No question +3500 fps will be easily reached with this round and barrel length. If I were building a rifle specifically for the 200 gr Accubond I would go with a Lilja 1-11 which would flatten the pressure spike even more.

This was the very first outting and mainly for the start of velocity testing. More to come soon but so far it looks like the 300 AX will get me to my projected performance numbers easily and then some!!!

More to come soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

I am pretty interested in this round Kirby, after I wear out this newest 270AM bbl you are doing for me I may have to convert over to the 300AX. Keep me posted

take it easy
steve

Hang on there Lerch! Gonna be a line for that one! I havent got my first one yet, but had to have that 270AM. Im gonna stay small for awhile, cuz I really think the 270 is hard to beat.

I like that first sentence the best, means he got some finished and outa the way!!!

Kirby check that last post on AM shooters group about the 7500 action.

Think about this I had to go down to a 120gr bullet in a 7RM for 3450fps.......And hes playing with that speed with a 200gr!!! MY MY!

Have one on the way to check out but so far no experience with them. I have talked to Bob and he sounds like a great guy. Look forward to seeing his products and I am sure I will be using some on customers rifles soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

I think you will love your new 300 allen. I've been shooting a 30-338 laupa mag imp for a few years, just as a hunting rifle. The brass is excellent and very stable. Doesn't seem to be very hard to load for. I am suprised to see the speed your getting with the 200's, I'm going to try some new 208 hornady a-max and see what I can get. I have a new reamer for a regular 30-338 laupa and want to rechamber my gun and see the difference. I think you have a winner on your hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby, I am getting close to being able to afford another project. I am having my 300-WSM built by my gunsmith here in Bakersfield. However, I am going to want you to build a 338 Allen Mag. I thought I still had your e-mail, however, I can't find it. Could you please e-mail me at;
[email protected]

Thanks Kirby
Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.