.300 Ackley #2

LTP90

This past weekend I inherited a beautiful rifle, and I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me with some information on it.
I have searched the web over the years multiple times and this has repeatedly been the only site that I have found with any information on the subject.
So the rifle I inherited was built by my great grandfather for my grandpa in 1961 or 62 I think. The rounds that my great grandfather made for it that I have were loaded in 1963(I shot 2 of them today).
My great grandfather wrote .300 Ackley #2 on the box of ammunition he loaded, so I assume that this is the Caliber of the gun. The dies are long gone missing, and there is no one in my area that I trust to mold(can't think of the proper name) the chamber. I have the Ackley book, but I only have Volume 2 and there is nothing that matches what I have.
Once upon a time my dad purchased some 30/338 wildcat on a wild hair thinking it was the chambering of the gun. Although the 30/338 is close, it is not a 30/338(at least the one he had loaded). The rounds I'm looking at use 308 Norma and 338 win mag as a parent cartridge, but I can tell that the neck has been lengthened and the shoulders are much further down the shell. I know that at one time the shells were fire formed.

I was hoping someone had some more information on the .300 Ackley #2 because I would like to be able to load rounds for it, but I have not been able to find any information on this particular chambering anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I uploaded some pictures of the rounds, next to .223 for size comparison and of the rifle.

Attachments

• 300 ackley.jpg
    300 ackley.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 300 ackely rifle.jpg
    300 ackely rifle.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 112
As one who has designed a few wildcats, I can tell you that you have to be careful as specs can often vary. I think that the 300 Ackley #2 was based on the 300 H&H and that is why you end up with a long neck. I would have a chamber cast made and then have a custom die maker manufacture some quality dies for you. Being your Great gpas, it would be worth it to me......Good luck/Rich

After doing a little more research, it looks as if the original "#1", had a little longer body than the later #2. This would also help explain the longer neck on your #2......Rich

thanks for the help.
I think I will have to have custom dies made for it.

I just realized that you said you have some fire formed cases. All you have to do is send two cases into Whidden, Hornady, or one of the other custom die makers and they can make you a set.
It would be nice to know the total length of the case (chamber length) for trimming, but you can have that measured......Rich

I have about 40 rounds for it, some fired some not. The empty cases are 2.492-2.500 in length.

I have about 40 rounds for it, some fired some not. The empty cases are 2.492-2.500 in length.

My guess is the chamber was cut to 2.500". This won't affect the die making but simply when and how much to trim the cases........Rich
p.s. they need fired cases to make the dies

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.