300 win mag ackley improved

Surveyor

Has anyone improved a 300 win mag? What type of performance advantages should one expect? What disadvantages might someone encounter?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

IMHO The trouble you would go thru to get what would probably be a custom reamer, a set of custom dies, and then you have to fireform everything, for what would a modest improvement in ballistics. Why not go to 300 RUM? Brass, reamers, dies all standard and one heck of an improvement over the 300 Win Mag.
Dave

The 300 WM has a fairly full body, short neck, and fairly short shoulder.

There would be little to gain, and since it is not an "accepted" wildcat, you would have to start from scratch for dies, as there are none around - a very expensive project for little gain... :( :(

A 300Wby might be the performance you're looking for. Set back one thread it should clean that Win Mag chamber right up. It really needs a 26" barrel to show much gain over a 300Win Mag in a 24" barrel. In a 26" barrel and spec freebore you should get 3300 fps with 180's and 3100+ with 200 grain bullets. A mag box that will take 3.7" loaded rounds will be nice if you want it to be a repeater. The bolt face, extractor and the feed rails should not need modified either.

Improved 30Win Mag

Hi there are a few improved cartridges based on the 300Win Mag case tbe problem is the case is puhed close to maximum capacity by shortening the neck and a small gain is not realy benificual. If you are going to improve your capacity the best thing to do is get a larger Factory cartridge if possible as dies are available and most gunsmith should have a reamer available.
I would advise the 300 ultramag.

What action are you using.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. I guess four straight negatives can't be wrong.;)

I'll probably just stick with the WM; I've grown accustomed to the unbraked recoil and don't really want the increase found in the RUM or WBY. Not that I expect it to really hurt, but I'm tempting fate as it is given the condition of my shoulders.

[Isn't it odd that after all the big bore and shotgun shooting, my right and left shoulder joint's fall victim to a sledding accident and church handbell mishap, respectively?]

The big thing was to look for ways to tweak the status quo, without major changes. I haven't had a concern with its performance yet, I don't seem to have a problem on deer out to 500+. I'm just trying to get everything I can out of her in preparation for next years planned elk hunt.

Will be using a factory 26" heavy barrel on a left hand savage action. I've got the standard magnum sporter now, I just need to get a new stock before I swap the barrel. Figured I'd look into the A.I. before I change it.

Thanks, again.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.