30 Nosler vs 300 Win Mag

300 win mag is a great cartridge, I love mine.... but I will likely upgrade to a 30 Nosler when I wear out my current barrel assuming brass is available, which I don't think will be a problem. I think the Nosler cartridge case capacity is just about perfect to push the 210-215 grain bullets to right around 3000 fps.

I like the .30 Nosler but there's no way I'd walk out of the store with one unless I have at least 200 pieces of brass, my personal new rule for myself.

This is so true... something I also do, and like you all have pointed out, 300 win mag brass is easy to find.

The other thing that comes to mind, is that the 300 win mag case capacity is about the maximum I will go without needing a brake. I think the 30 Nosler would tip the scales to require a brake, at least for me personally.

I'm also curious if anybody else has a lot of experience developing loads for win mag cartridges as well as short mag and ultra mag cartridge?

In my own personal experience, the win mag rifles I have owned have been somewhat more finicky to load for, I think in particular, just a smaller accuracy node. While the WSM and RUM cartridges simply have larger accuracy nodes covering several grains change in gunpowder. I understand this is a barrel harmonic thing, and my sample size is far too small to be trend. So that's why I'm asking the question to the rest of you out there. And my current 300 win mag still shoots just as accurate when it's dialed in .... but it's still in my head that there might be some inherent advantages with the larger diameter powder column of the 404 Jeffries based cartridges?

The other thing that comes to mind, is that the 300 win mag case capacity is about the maximum I will go without needing a brake. I think the 30 Nosler would tip the scales to require a brake, at least for me personally.

+1! I shot my 1st .300 WM for over 20 years before installing my 1st muzzle brake in 2003. The muzzle brakes on all my .300 WMs now have a felt recoil similar to .243s. Now most of my rifles sports a muzzle brake. Give your shoulder a "break" and have a "muzzle brake" installed. :D

Today's muzzle brakes are very effective are there are tons to choose from. They not only reduce felt recoil significantly but also reduces the muzzle rise/jump. Seeing the target on impact is priceless. :cool:

As soon as I get clearance from BAFTE, hopefully very soon, I will be exploring the benefits of my 1st suppressor.

My vote is .300 Win Mag. Brass, dies, rifles, and everything is already out there along with hundreds of loads and recipes. I don't see the .30 Nosler having a 200fps gain on a .300WM. The two shells have nearly the same case capacity, so I don't know where the huge gain is coming from. The Noslers are already overbore so the .30 will wear barrels just as fast as a .300 Winchester, though the long neck may help. Thumping 200s at 3000fps and 208s at 2950fps, without maxed out loads, is all I need and that's what my .300 delivers.

It is not a bad cartridge, but the .300 WIN is just so popular and useful that I don't see a need to replace mine.

Last edited:
Lapua never made 300 WM brass. It was stamped Lapua but was made by Norma.

Really? I always thought it was lapua, but to be fair I never really checked into it. I saw it at my local cabelas if my mind is remembering correct and thought awsome might have to snag that up some time. Oh and sorry I may have never noticed if the brass is hard to get. Seems that is one of the most popular round here in Michigan I have lots of brass piled up from over the years. Now that I have a custom long range 300 win I was gonna buy the good stuff and start fresh with a load latter. Sorry if I was mid informed.

We have dies in the LRH Store and will have 30 Nosler brass when Nosler ships the first batch in April. You can preorder now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.