"30 Nosler is a very impressive round" says Josh at Copper Creek Cartridge Company

Has anyone done any comparisons between the 30 Nosler and the 30-28 Nosler Wildcat that was done by members of this site last year. Are there any advantages of going with the Wildcat over the standard version?

The Nosler line of cartridges has maybe 9% greater case capacity than the Dakota line. That's good for 100 or so more fps at similar pressures. These are round numbers.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the 30 Nosler and the 30-28 Nosler Wildcat that was done by members of this site last year. Are there any advantages of going with the Wildcat over the standard version?

I recently bought the QuickLOAD software. Using QuickLOAD my calculations on the 30-28 Nosler wildcat show no advantage over the standard 30 Nosler. I was looking for validation of my findings.

I which I had known this before I ordered a Reamer and Dies for the wildcat.

Looks pretty interesting and nice shooting too. Not sure if you can form your own brass but my biggest concern would be acquiring brass. Even under good conditions, Nosler has been questionable on providing their own components to the public and that goes double for new offerings.

Even under good conditions,

Mike

Good point but I don't think we've had "good conditions) for seven years. The panic buying we have all been doing, myself included, are mainly responsible for shortages in components, IMHO.

For those reloaders who are concerned, at the time of purchasing a new rifle -- buying enough brass to last the barrel's life is one way to handle the issue.

Some shooters like that it does not have a belt near the base of its brass case as does the Win Mag. This belt has troubled some who reload.

Len, what kind of troubles do people who reload the .300 Win Mag encounter exactly? I've loaded for such a caliber for over 5 years now, and I ain't never had any issues whatsoever, sure, I have had a case head separation, however, that was because I picked on one cartridge and, with reasonably high end loads, fired it and had it fail on it's 21st firing, but that was great, I thought!
Also, regarding magazine feeding problems, my Remington 5R Milspec has never missed a beat, it's chambered consistently in the time I've owned it! I hear about all these troubles but I've never actually experienced anything bad with the cartridge myself.

I've just sold my .300 Win Mag in order to build a custom rifle around the .300 RUM cartridge, however, after reading this post (and other forum's postings) on the .30 Nosler cartridge I'm not so sure anymore... kinda wishing I hadn't sold the .300 Win Mag.
As I understand it (in degrees of potency) there's the .300 Win Mag, then the .300 Weatherby Magnum, then the .300 Rum and, of course, the .30-378 Weatherby Magnum. Where does the .30 Nosler fit into that lot, is it between the .300 Weatherby and the RUM, or between the .300 Weatherby and the .300 Win Mag?
Also, would anyone consider that the .300 RUM brass is hard to obtain on the grounds that it is losing popularity, and that it is on the verge of extinction? I notice whenever I go into my local gun stores, I never see RUM ammo, it's all .300 Win Mag, .30-06, that sort of stuff!

It seems like the 30 Nosler fits in between the 300 weatherby and the 300 rum as far as velocity goes. However both the 300 weatherby and the 300 rum are too long to chase the lands with high BC bullets in standard length actions. The 30 Nosler is intended to be the best compromise of case capacity and overall length for standard length magnum bolt face actions.

It seems like the 30 Nosler fits in between the 300 weatherby and the 300 rum as far as velocity goes. However both the 300 weatherby and the 300 rum are too long to chase the lands with high BC bullets in standard length actions. The 30 Nosler is intended to be the best compromise of case capacity and overall length for standard length magnum bolt face actions.

Thanks for the info. I've spoken to, well, one manufacturer anyway, that machines their actions to take the Wyatts CFE-9, 4" magazine box, which would give you probably around an extra .350" of 'practical' usable room over SAAMI specs for a .300 RUM (3.600") That maybe enough to chase the lands somewhat! It's what I'd be doing should I go the RUM way. But, this .30 Nosler's got me intrigued.

The issue with the RUM even in a CFE-9 you will compromise seating depth to run through a mag, you have no room to chase the lands with a 230 Berger which is thee bullet to shoot for long range from a RUM if your wanting to get the most out of it. So with a little better seating position the Nosler may put a guy in a very strong position both in velocity and seating position. Very similar to running a 300 Norma Mag without the Lapua bolt face!

The issue with the RUM even in a CFE-9 you will compromise seating depth to run through a mag, you have no room to chase the lands with a 230 Berger which is thee bullet to shoot for long range from a RUM if your wanting to get the most out of it. So with a little better seating position the Nosler may put a guy in a very strong position both in velocity and seating position. Very similar to running a 300 Norma Mag without the Lapua bolt face!

Yeah, the Nosler certainly has my attention.

Mike

Good point but I don't think we've had "good conditions) for seven years. The panic buying we have all been doing, myself included, are mainly responsible for shortages in components, IMHO.

For those reloaders who are concerned, at the time of purchasing a new rifle -- buying enough brass to last the barrel's life is one way to handle the issue.

Well noted. Right after reading this informative article, I went right to Noslers site to see if I could buy some brass. I was surprised to see they had more than I expected but not surprised to find the 30 Nosler "out of stock". I don't even know what the parent case is but I suppose it can be formed from something else. I gotta wonder sometimes. There's probably only 50 or 100 guys shooting this caliber if that many and no brass. I've never understood the point of a roll out if your not going to support it. Anyway... looks pretty awesome. How was loading for this caliber. I find the 300 WM sorta finicky to load for. Are the accuracy nodes on this one well defined?

Mike
Check 3rd Gen Shooting Supply,I just got some from them this week.They had like 30 boxes.
Kent

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.