30-378

I was able to work on the magazine box last night.... Jeff you were right, its feeding like a champ now! So I am gonna load today.... I will post early next week with the 300 yard zero results. Again I thank you all so much for the help.... getting some confidence back in the rifle!

Good pont on the charge with H-1000. But I have seen Retumbo in the 30-378 go from ok to stuck bolt in 1 gr.

As for seating depth,
True. and that is what we are doing here. The longest I have been able to cycle in a Wby 30-378 box is 3.820" Thus I usually start at 3.800" like we did here.

Jeff

If you went from "ok to stuck bolt in one gr."....YOU WERE NOT OK WITH ONE GRAIN LESS!!!!

If you went from "ok to stuck bolt in one gr."....YOU WERE NOT OK WITH ONE GRAIN LESS!!!!

Well first let me say I was exagerating saying "stuck" it was more of a very hard lift. If you haven't used Retumbo much I understand why you called me out. I and many others here have found Retumbo to spike to over pressure easily, and fast. Especially in large cases. Just a little sun on the loaded rounds or a bit of cooking in a hot chamber can do it too. But yes, it did go from ok with no ejector marks , easy smooth bolt lift, and no muffin top on the primer.... To a hard bolt lift and an ejector mark with one grain. This is not my first rodeo either sir.

Jeff

Jeff,

Here is where I am comming from.....my Match gun/hunting gun...300 wby, 30" spencer 1-10 twist, Bat action single shot "M". 88 gr Retumbo, nothing. 89 gr Retumbo, slight cratering of the primer. 90 gr. little more primer flow, and a little hitch at the top of the bolt throw uppon ejection. Back down to 88 gr again. Shoots lights out!!! Now....my velocity with 88g Retumbo is 3275 FPS....with 210VLD's out of a 300 WBY.

Is that load ...."OK"..... Hell no....the chrono tells me I am so far into the "red" zone it's not even funny. I am not sure where "max book" is with a 210...probaly around 83 gr of Retumbo. And that is usualy with a Weatherby freebore, not a tight neck chamber with the bullet jammed hard. I, like most of you, am not a big proponent of max book. I am north of max book most of the time. But, they come up with max book via PSI numbers. That has to mean something.

BUT.....BUT.....again...BUT.....I still shoot that load. I have never tried it in warmer weather than I tested...around 30 F, and I am never going to.

My point is.....just becuse everything seems ok, the fact that i am getting the velocitys that I am getting tells me that this load is not REALLY ok. If you are one grain away from overpressure with retumbo in 30 378, which would be in the 100Gr neighberhood, I still say you are not OK backing off only one grain.

Again, just my .02.

My 30-378 was terrible until new barrel, bedding, manners stock. Now shoots 6-7inch groups at 1000 y with 94 gr h 1000 and 240smk

I second the pressue issues with Retumbo in my 30-378......110gr shoots fine and 113gr blows primer pockets ( and ruins $2 brass!!). I'm sure you will find a good load, especially if you shoot longer ranges. Remember that a 180gr bullet at +/- 3,400 fps is really all you need:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.