30-378 wby 230 Berger Loads

drenner43

A little background information. Loading 210 Bergers and H1000 for a 300 Win Mag and 2 Weatherby Accumark 30-378's. Have a little less than a box of the 210's left so thinking of switching the weatherbys over and shooting 230's while continuing to shoot the 210's in the 300. What would be a good starting point with the 230's and H1000? i need them seated at magazine length also as these are all hunting rifles that i don't want to load single shot. Also, which 230 is it i want to go with for hunting, i never can keep them straight. Thanks for the help

You want the 230 Berger Hybrid Target. Not the OTM, although it would work fine as well. The "target" version has the best b/c and is a well proven hunting bullet. I would recommend a much slower burning powder to get best velocities. RL33 or IMR8133 to name a couple available powders.

Personally I'd run the 215 Berger Hyrbids. The BC is very close to the 230 Hyrbid, but it can be driven 100+ FPS faster due to the shorter bearing surface and 15gr less weight. I also suggest going to RL33, IMR 8133, Retumbo, or H50BMG.

Personally I'd run the 215 Berger Hyrbids. The BC is very close to the 230 Hyrbid, but it can be driven 100+ FPS faster due to the shorter bearing surface and 15gr less weight. I also suggest going to RL33, IMR 8133, Retumbo, or H50BMG.

The 215 is excellent as stated. However, the velocity out of a .30-.378 is gonna be really high creating explosive impacts at shorter ranges. With the case capacity of this monster i personally wouldn't be running anything lighter than a 225 grain bullet. If it had enough twist, it would actually be a good candidate for the new 245 Berger or 250 A-tip. Just my 2 cents

The 215 is excellent as stated. However, the velocity out of a .30-.378 is gonna be really high creating explosive impacts at shorter ranges. With the case capacity of this monster i personally wouldn't be running anything lighter than a 225 grain bullet. If it had enough twist, it would actually be a good candidate for the new 245 Berger or 250 A-tip. Just my 2 cents
Yeah you're right, the 245 EOL would be a beast in the .30-.378 with a 1-9 twist 28-30" barrel with H50BMG. The 215 would be a little soft for close range impacts at 3200+ FPS haha.

Gentleman, thanks for the replies. For some reason i never got a notification thered been a reply so i just saw these when i came back to check. The Hybrid Target it is. I will probably at least try to work up a load with H1000 and another with H50BMG as i have both. Shooting in both Kentucky and Colorado i've tried to stay away from the RE powders due to temp stabilization. Just one less thing i have to worry about. I think my 1-10 SHOULD stabilize the 230's but we shall see, don't think theres any way it would on past that with the 245 or 250. Either of you happen to have a good starting point for the 230's on powder charge?

Factory accumark. Pretty sure it's 3.80. It's mag length.
I did remove the factory muzzlebrake and replaced with a MBM brake. Huge improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.