Wby 30-378 Magnum

Ka-Boom.....a big big banger .... bad medicine...shells today from Weatherby are $600.00 for a box of 20....lol....if you can find them...special, buy 4 boxes and they'll give you a free rifle
Just purchased several boxes of 180gr Swift Scirocco (.300 Weatherby) direct from Sheridan Wyoming for $90 per box. Last October I was paying $45. Absolute Agony. At least it's not 1100% mark up like .22 LR

Ka-Boom.....a big big banger .... bad medicine...shells today from Weatherby are $600.00 for a box of 20....lol....if you can find them...special, buy 4 boxes and they'll give you a free rifle
My B.S. flag is at top mast. Weatherby 30-378 180 grain and 200 grain Accubonds are available for $119.00/box.

Your pointed and unwarranted comments pertaining to the case shape inadequacies of the 30-378, and the "drivel" remark.... only solidifies your apparent lack of common civility! memtb

You're allowed your opinion on my comments, even though you pulled them outta you're .... "y'know ... the thing"

And my opinion on the WBY shoulder is based on many years of working with them in MY rifles with MY brass and I can say exactly what I feel about them, never once mentioned your stuff, Roy Wby has been gone a long time and I'm 100% certain my comments don't offend him in the least bit and he doesn't need your ignorant defense, if you're offended then you can ...... MELT

my drivel "remark" ? Is 100% justified as it is fact ....

You're allowed your opinion on my comments, even though you pulled them outta you're .... "y'know ... the thing"

And my opinion on the WBY shoulder is based on many years of working with them in MY rifles with MY brass and I can say exactly what I feel about them, never once mentioned your stuff, Roy Wby has been gone a long time and I'm 100% certain my comments don't offend him in the least bit and he doesn't need your ignorant defense, if you're offended then you can ...... MELT

my drivel "remark" ? Is 100% justified as it is fact ....

"M'Lord" or do you prefer "Your Majesty", I don't own a Bee, nor have ever owned one ....of any caliber/cartridge. I was referring to your condescending, rude comment as being offensive to the OP!

I find it amusing that with your apparent disdain for the Weatherby case design.....that you would be attempting to develop a load for a cartridge of such poor design and poor performance as compared to other cartridges!

Speaking of "drivel".....do you also drool when you drivel?

Have a nice day "M'Lord"! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
The 'which is the best' always cracks me up. 1000 people will have a 1000 opinions, and not all of them revolve around max speed. It almost always turns into people arguing with others who don't share their opinion, as is happening here.

Is 800 yards considered long range? 1000? 600? 1500? There are plenty of people that don't want to deal with 100gr of powder and heavy recoil. There are also people who hunt 200lb game at those distances, and plenty of people who hunt 800lb game at those distances, which don't require the same energy and bullet weight.

Is there a better long range 30 cal cartridge out there ?
If a guy was looking for the most bang for the buck. The 30-378 comes in a fairly affordable factory rifle. It's got to be one of the fastest 30's you'd likely come across at a local gun store. I happen to like the Weatherby Mark V's.

There's some interesting options if you go custom and wildcat. My current big 30 cal wish list cartridge is the 300 Terminator +P (a 300 Lapua Improved developed by Defensive Edge).

I never had much luck with the 30-378, I've owned two and never got them to act right--maybe just my bad luck. I have used a 300 and a 338 Norma a good bit--easy to tune and almost gets you to the same place...

I know that the question was about an 30-378whby mag. I have never owned or shot one however I do own an .300whby mag. And my neighbor owns a .300win mag. He has the advantage of cheaper brass and less powder used in a case so his ammo is cheaper than mine. However I can load mild to medium loads of 165-210gr. Bullets and I have a definite advantage of velocity over his rounds loaded medium to hot. And we know that F=M×A so I there by have energy over his .300win mag. I also will have enough case to run the 210gr. Projectiles at 3085fps from an 26" barrel loaded out with 82.5gr of H1000 which is stated to not go below trans sonic till 1800ish yards so a good mile which is well beyond an ethical kill shot in most large game. (In my opinion) I also had a friend from Idaho whi swore by his .300 RUM after we had a talk about the loads and how much powder difference there was between the two for almost the same result he bought the .300whby as to why he never stated. I think that Randy aka The Real Gunsmith has done a superb job In explaining the whole dilemma of the .30cal mags on his video. 300 PRC on YouTube. I believe that an old tried and trued method is best over a new one that is until it has been truly tested and proven. In my limited experience I believe that a more accurate way to compare the .30 mags would not be by bullet diameter but by case capacity alone then we would see who is on the top.

To try to answer the question.
I don't know if it's better to head space off the shoulder or a belt.

I also dont know if the shoulder angle of a PRC, Rem, Win or Whby is superior.

I wish we could take the same case with all the same components and only change shoulder angle and neck length both independently and test the results to have a definite answer to this question. However I think that it is likely the old 30-30 mentioned above that some like one cartridge over the other why??? Because I killed more deer with my .300whby than any other rifle of mine with exception of one. The .22 win mag it's my favorite for the job up close. But there we go again with the whole ethics and legality bit.

Truth is what ever you like is best. And right now ain't a time for change with hard to get bullets and components unless you just like to clean and look at your rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.