30-284?

I'm giving up on this gun for now.

I went to size some 1x fired brass last night after annealing it to load some for my hunt next week and my friggin FL die just screws up my brass.

I already sent my die back to Redding once to have them fix it because it was galling my necks and leaving a weird raised ring on the shoulder. They also said they'd hone the neck out to 0.335 because it was sizing my neck all the way down to 0.325. They just sent me back a new one without any modification and the new one does the same thing. Ruins my brass necks and causes 0.002-0.003 run-out on the neck so that I can't even get my Lee trimmer mandrel down in there to trim. For a $190 dollar die set, that thing sucks.

I'm really disappointed I've burned several pounds of components, can no longer use a factory or prefit barrel on my action, and have spent so much time and money this year on a gun I'm not going to hunt with next week.

Should have just went with a new 30-06 prefit

Anytime i neck up i use a mandrel then run through my bushing die and have zero.problems. Your problem with your brass is always why I use a bushing die so I can pick the bushing to match the brass nk size
People complain about bushing die runout but I have no problem with many, its how you set them up.

Anytime i neck up i use a mandrel then run through my bushing die and have zero.problems. Your problem with your brass is always why I use a bushing die so I can pick the bushing to match the brass nk size
People complain about bushing die runout but I have no problem with many, its how you set them up.

Yup. I had bought a 6.5-284 type s FL die that I was going to have modified to accept my 30cal neck, but the local shop cost way too much and I thought Redding was going to open up my neck in this die a bit, so I sent it back.

JLC precision will modify my Redding FL die to a bushing die or open the neck very cheaply. So, I'm going to do that sometime in the next few months if I don't decide to just abandon my project altogether.

Problem after problem has me so frustrated my head is spinning haha. I think I need to just steal my kids 7mm08 and put this thing away for a bit

By a carbide drill bit yourself if you know somebody who can get it dialed in really close to concentric thats what I did to open up a 284 die to except 30 cal fired necks

i used my dremmel with a tapered stone to open up my 6.5 PRC to accept 7mm bushings took 5 minutes. With a tapered stone it self centered. i went slow and kept measuring and works great. remember the neck never touches the hole anyways.

you have really had some bad luck with would have been a nice cartridge. try putting it away and come back with a clearer mind in the future but dont give up

i used my dremmel with a tapered stone to open up my 6.5 PRC to accept 7mm bushings took 5 minutes. With a tapered stone it self centered. i went slow and kept measuring and works great. remember the neck never touches the hole anyways.

you have really had some bad luck with would have been a nice cartridge. try putting it away and come back with a clearer mind in the future but dont give up

Thanks for the encouragement. I will do that.

I was thinking about opening that 6.5 die myself, but thought that even with a drill press, I'd end up with burrs. I never thought of using a stone on a Dremel. Was it a particular type of stone, or just the standard material stones?

It may be more advantageous to just have my FL die modified to a bushing die. I don't know who would want to buy it from me for a price that I wouldn't be out a lot of $ on it

Thanks for the encouragement. I will do that.

I was thinking about opening that 6.5 die myself, but thought that even with a drill press, I'd end up with burrs. I never thought of using a stone on a Dremel. Was it a particular type of stone, or just the standard material stones?

It may be more advantageous to just have my FL die modified to a bushing die. I don't know who would want to buy it from me for a price that I wouldn't be out a lot of $ on it
i just used plain orange colored tapered stone. believe it or not once you break the surface hardening the dies are pretty soft and easy to grind

Figured out my die issue. Found where other people have had the same issue.

Remedied it by spinning some gray 3m pad wrapped on an old brass brush in the neck and shoulder of the die, then cleaned it and also put a thin coat of lube on my case necks before sizing. No galling and most case necks only had a half thou run-out after expanding.

I know it's been a while but did you ever sort everything out to get that 30-284 shooting good?
I'm still interested in doing one soon.

I know it's been a while but did you ever sort everything out to get that 30-284 shooting good?

Yes... Ha. See Feenixs lposted link. I'll update there.

I have fireformed some brass and I'm hoping to get out for some load testing in the next week.

Recent Posts