30-284?

Hard rock,

For me, and my stable of rifles, my .338 federal scratches my lower class powered .338 itch. And I can neck up from .308 if I ever burn through the brass I have.

I have a feeling once I live through this big boomer phase (serious elk medicine) I'll be drifting back to my less powder hungry cartridges!

I shoot High Power and a few years ago they started allowing scopes instead of iron sights which I think is very good policy, most of us in the game are not brand new any more and I for one was having a hard time at 600 yds with irons trying to decide if the fuzzy target was in the center of the fuzzy sight so my scores at 600 were going down and I could not figure out if it was the rifle or the load or my vision so if you put a scope on my model 70 match rifle you can't feed it with stripper clips for rapid so I bought a ruger precision rifle to use for high power and really like the adjustability of the stock and the action being in line with the stock I believe reduces felt recoil. I liked the rpr I used for High Power so much I bought another and put my 6.5x284 reamer in the factory barrel and it shot pretty well and used it for hunting, the gun is a little heavy for carrying but is very comfortable to shoot so I like it for hunting. The 6.5x284 is a great round but the factory barrel is short ,24 inches , so the velocity gain over my 260 rifle which has about27 inches was not good enough. So I decide to chamber a 30 cal barrel in 30-284 and put it in place of the 6.5x284 barrel. I think all of the 284 class cartridges are better off in long actions so the bullets can be seated to better advantage but I like the ruger rifle so much I went with it. It was a little fussy to find a load for and stay in the 2.920 length of my magazine but hornadt 180 interlock bt bullets seem to not mind being jumped and 5 shots are staying in 3/4 min at 200 yds. I switched to 190 sierra because there is a 600 800 900 and 1000 yd match this weekend and I thought it would be fun to shoot this rifle in it. I found a load that would put 4 shots in 1 inch and one flyer to make the group 2 1/2 inches at 200 yds repeatedly so I started investigating my brass and if I neck sized only the flyer would go away and if I used first time shot brass which is .008 undersized near the shoulder for my chamber and as much as .005 nonconcentric I would get 3 inch groups. taking some of the first time brass and indexing the nonconcentric high in the chamber when I shot the rifle improved the group to about 2 1/2 inches. When I size the brass near the shoulder gets reduced about .005 ,since this thing seems to be cranky about brass I tryed a rod with some sandpaper to try to increase the die dimension at the shoulder and I havent resized yet to see if I changed the size of the die but they seem to be pretty hard and difficult to measure at that point but I'm not confident I changed it much. When chambering a round in a rifle with a plunger ejector the ejector is going to push the case in the chamber to one side therefore out of concentric so I am rationalizing this rifle doesn't like this so when neck sizing only the case isn't being pushed to one side of the chamber however almost all actions any more have this style of ejector and seem to shoot well so I could be wrong. I loaded 5 rounds last night with the first time brass which fits loose in the chamber but increased the oal so the bullets would be jammed in the rifling to leave square marks from the lands, which we used to seat this way when using vld's that seemed to need to be loaded very close to the lands, so my thought is that being shoved into the bore the bullet should center the case and bullet and maybe it will shoot. the easy cure would be to make a load for the 100 peices of first time brass and practice off hand with them then just neck size for the match this weekend but I don't know if I have enough time as some people want me to work.

I shoot High Power and a few years ago they started allowing scopes instead of iron sights which I think is very good policy, most of us in the game are not brand new any more and I for one was having a hard time at 600 yds with irons trying to decide if the fuzzy target was in the center of the fuzzy sight so my scores at 600 were going down and I could not figure out if it was the rifle or the load or my vision so if you put a scope on my model 70 match rifle you can't feed it with stripper clips for rapid so I bought a ruger precision rifle to use for high power and really like the adjustability of the stock and the action being in line with the stock I believe reduces felt recoil. I liked the rpr I used for High Power so much I bought another and put my 6.5x284 reamer in the factory barrel and it shot pretty well and used it for hunting, the gun is a little heavy for carrying but is very comfortable to shoot so I like it for hunting. The 6.5x284 is a great round but the factory barrel is short ,24 inches , so the velocity gain over my 260 rifle which has about27 inches was not good enough. So I decide to chamber a 30 cal barrel in 30-284 and put it in place of the 6.5x284 barrel. I think all of the 284 class cartridges are better off in long actions so the bullets can be seated to better advantage but I like the ruger rifle so much I went with it. It was a little fussy to find a load for and stay in the 2.920 length of my magazine but hornadt 180 interlock bt bullets seem to not mind being jumped and 5 shots are staying in 3/4 min at 200 yds. I switched to 190 sierra because there is a 600 800 900 and 1000 yd match this weekend and I thought it would be fun to shoot this rifle in it. I found a load that would put 4 shots in 1 inch and one flyer to make the group 2 1/2 inches at 200 yds repeatedly so I started investigating my brass and if I neck sized only the flyer would go away and if I used first time shot brass which is .008 undersized near the shoulder for my chamber and as much as .005 nonconcentric I would get 3 inch groups. taking some of the first time brass and indexing the nonconcentric high in the chamber when I shot the rifle improved the group to about 2 1/2 inches. When I size the brass near the shoulder gets reduced about .005 ,since this thing seems to be cranky about brass I tryed a rod with some sandpaper to try to increase the die dimension at the shoulder and I havent resized yet to see if I changed the size of the die but they seem to be pretty hard and difficult to measure at that point but I'm not confident I changed it much. When chambering a round in a rifle with a plunger ejector the ejector is going to push the case in the chamber to one side therefore out of concentric so I am rationalizing this rifle doesn't like this so when neck sizing only the case isn't being pushed to one side of the chamber however almost all actions any more have this style of ejector and seem to shoot well so I could be wrong. I loaded 5 rounds last night with the first time brass which fits loose in the chamber but increased the oal so the bullets would be jammed in the rifling to leave square marks from the lands, which we used to seat this way when using vld's that seemed to need to be loaded very close to the lands, so my thought is that being shoved into the bore the bullet should center the case and bullet and maybe it will shoot. the easy cure would be to make a load for the 100 peices of first time brass and practice off hand with them then just neck size for the match this weekend but I don't know if I have enough time as some people want me to work.
Good choice, I've always been a fan of the .30-284 Win, having used one over the years "back when" I shot with a lot of shooters that used it up north in Chilliwack BC... Canada... in matches up there. The bottom line, it's a very respectable cartridge and a very good 1k cartridge with a good bullet. Good luck Cheers

Just thinking...

I always loved the 284 case and have a few 6.5-284's and a few straight 284's.

I have a Rem take-off 308 hunting contour barrel and had a thought of reaming it to 30-284 to spin up on a Rem 700 LA for a hunting rifle.
I am thinking a 30-284 reamer should clean a 308 chamber without issue...right?

Any reason not to give it a go?

Thanks

Just thinking...

I have a Rem take-off 308 hunting contour barrel and had a thought of reaming it to 30-284 to spin up on a Rem 700 LA for a hunting rifle.

Thanks
I am sure a 30-284 will clean up a 308 chamber the body is longer and relatively straight an larger in diameter. In my opinion you will be at the mercy of the original chamber for straightness with the bore since you won't have any pilot for a long ways so the reamer will follow the existing chamber, down the path of least resistance, som if your 308 chamber looks good everything should work out. I tryed to rechamber my rpr factory barrel from 6.5 creedmoor to 260 but that would not clean up the creedmoor has less taper so the shoulder did not clean up so it became a 6.5x284 which cleaned up the creedmoor and 260 chambers.

Good choice, I've always been a fan of the .30-284 Win, having used one over the years "back when" I shot with a lot of shooters that used it up north in Chilliwack BC... Canada... in matches up there. The bottom line, it's a very respectable cartridge and a very good 1k cartridge with a good bullet. Good luck Cheers
436, did you happen to go to paul bunyans international match in puyallup, wa in the days when the dinasaurs roamed the earth,it was and is held on first weekend in september and when I shot in it we had a lot of good people come down from canada. Once a half a dozen or so people came from England and shot with us they were hard to understand, they talked funny

436, did you happen to go to paul bunyans international match in puyallup, wa in the days when the dinasaurs roamed the earth,it was and is held on first weekend in september and when I shot in it we had a lot of good people come down from canada. Once a half a dozen or so people came from England and shot with us they were hard to understand, they talked funny
R. Cram,
No, never made those matches, that was Neolithic... 😂 Funny, I agree with the UK shooter comment, I did shoot with them in Raton NM, and Canada... fun folks, like our north Canada cousins, a hoot once they get going. Cheers.

Just thinking...

Thanks

I was thinking of doing that with a takeoff Tikka .308 barrel. The only potential issues are if your 30-284 reamer neck dimension doesn't match the .308 chamber neck because it won't completely clean the length of the neck. And potential crooked chamber of the takeoff

Exactly true! I so love the '06 I thought I'd like to design a twin.... And I'm loving it.

I got that 30-284 in the ruger precision rifle to shoot by neck sizing the twice fired brass, 53 gr 414 or 4350 and maglength 190mk's . took it to a practice match at 600 yds and shot 12 shots prone and shot one 10 and 11 x's, I was very happy with its accuracy. then took it hunting and got a buck we had seen 3 times before this summer that ended being a 29 inch buck, the biggest set of horns I have ever gotten. also killed him with those 190 mk's and they worked just fine. also I shoot high power and it is all position shooting never off a bench and doing so shows me the need for the stock on your rifle to be able to be adjusted to fit or your accuracy will not be as good , I am a stock crawler, which means that when I shoot prone I am too close to the scope both for a good relaxed position and to keep from being attacked by the scope so the ruger rifle allows easy and quick adjustment for this. another mistake I see all the time is big scopes mounted high so the head is bobbing all around not being supported by the cheak piece of the stock your head needs to be supported and even a little pressure can be put on the stock ,it's called a stock weld in highpower and I believe it is very important for position shooting. I always advocate for getting off the bench as I believe its a waste of time and components and barrels to shoot a rifle off a bench unless you are going to be a bench rest shooter, I have never been to a military range where there are benches because like hunting there are no benches in the field. I put together 3 or 4 rifles to hunt with last year and when serching for loads it was always a relief to get back to the rpr due to the stock adjustability

Just thinking...

Thanks

Did you ever end up doing this? I decided not to try it because the smith mentioned the 308 possibly not being concentric, like R cram mentioned. Also, it won't completely clean out the neck I don't think, so you'd want to be sure the reamer neck matches the existing chamber neck diameter.

I got that 30-284 in the ruger precision rifle to shoot by neck sizing the twice fired brass, 53 gr 414 or 4350 and maglength 190mk's . took it to a practice match at 600 yds and shot 12 shots prone and shot one 10 and 11 x's, I was very happy with its accuracy. then took it hunting and got a buck we had seen 3 times before this summer that ended being a 29 inch buck, the biggest set of horns I have ever gotten. also killed him with those 190 mk's and they worked just fine. also I shoot high power and it is all position shooting never off a bench and doing so shows me the need for the stock on your rifle to be able to be adjusted to fit or your accuracy will not be as good , I am a stock crawler, which means that when I shoot prone I am too close to the scope both for a good relaxed position and to keep from being attacked by the scope so the ruger rifle allows easy and quick adjustment for this. another mistake I see all the time is big scopes mounted high so the head is bobbing all around not being supported by the cheak piece of the stock your head needs to be supported and even a little pressure can be put on the stock ,it's called a stock weld in highpower and I believe it is very important for position shooting. I always advocate for getting off the bench as I believe its a waste of time and components and barrels to shoot a rifle off a bench unless you are going to be a bench rest shooter, I have never been to a military range where there are benches because like hunting there are no benches in the field. I put together 3 or 4 rifles to hunt with last year and when serching for loads it was always a relief to get back to the rpr due to the stock adjustability
Glad to hear you had success!! What velocity are you getting with the 190smk and h4350? What's barrel length?

I went with designing a reamer and made it a 30-284 AI, just to go full PIA for brass prep ;)

I love it, but wish I had designed my reamer with more freebore. However, it does shoot 185 juggs with h4350 extremely well.

I did not.
Although I am still enamored with the case and its possibilities!
30-284 and 338-284 were my intentions but too many other projects got in the way.