30-06 vs 280

BigSky112

I have the option on a new Remington Mountain in either 280 or 30-06, these are the 2 choices available on this deal. Looking to shoot bullet weights in the 140 (280) & 30-06 (150). Anybody with experience in these two with ideas or opinions? I have other outfits that shoot heavier and lighter weight bullets so I what to stay there and not duplicate. Not looking for long range as i have one of those, plus by the time you see coyote's and wolves in NW Montana they are not that far away.

The differences aren't even worth talking about to be honest...no animals chest will notice the differences....always go bigger because of bullet diameter and weight..lightbulb

For me it would be the 280. Seen quite a few deer fall to my brothers 280 with the 140s. Alittle lighter recoil than the 06 and it's alittle faster. I think the 280 is very under rated. If I didn't already own a 7mm RM I'd be having a 280 in my cabinet.

In my opinion it sure would be hard to beat the 06 for its versatility.... Ammo at every gun store/Walmart, reloading supplies are easy to come by.

I had one of the older .280 mountain 700s. What a great gun. 280 great all around round. Since it's a lighter gun I would go for less recoil in 280

I had a 280 built as I really didnt have a need for a 30 caliber....yet I turned around and bought a Win mod 70 in 300 Win Mag. Go figure?

Lighter recoil in the 280? They have the same parent case... Powder charge will be similar.... And only 10 grain difference in bullet weight in op's bullet selection. Never shot a 280 but I have a couple 270's and a 06. The recoil from the 270 150g and 165g 06 in the same weight rifles is not enough to notice to me.

In a mountain rifle the smaller the bore the better IMO barrels are a bit less whippy. A stated its hard to beat the 30-06 for versatility not so many factory loads for the 280 rem. Darn nice cartridge though.

Good luck and shot straight

Bob

Imo, the biggest question is whether you have stuff lying around for either... At present I have a 270 and a 30-06. If I were to buy another middle ground rifle it would be a 7rem or 280 as I have a bunch of stuff lying around for a mid sized 7mm.

Like has already been said; either would fill your purposes. I'm a fan of both, I have a 280 in an older mountain rifle that I picked up a couple years ago and really have no purpose for as I have 260,270,25'06, etc that all do about the same thing. But for the life of me I can't get rid of it. When it comes time to go deer hunting it's the rifle I pick up most often anymore. I'm also a fan of less mainstream cartridges so the 280 fits that bill somewhat also.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts