30-06 R Stief

Thank you for the drawing, The 7x65R is what I had hoped would work, As I have quite a bit of it, But the dimensions are too small as far as rim diameter and head diameter. Do you have that book? Or did you find that info online?
I have the book. Purchased in the early 2000's. The poor guy passed away before he could finish the next volume he had intended to write. Looking at the dimensions for the 7x65R in comparison, I see no reason that it would not work after die forming, fire forming and a trim for length. Though I'm no expert, the rim & base diameter differences seem small enough that it should not to be a problem.

here's the extracted drawing of the Stief... from CIP

Attachments

• tabiical-en-page691024_1.jpg
    tabiical-en-page691024_1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
A couple of months ago I picked up a 100 rd box of Lapua 7x65R brass for my 7x65R Improved project. The stief looks like an interesting caliber for my next project, I think I am going to buy that reamer, They are on sale for a very good price. So far I have built these rimmed calibers:

30-40 Krag Ackley improved
30x54R Improved
6.5x54R
307 winchester

A couple of months ago I picked up a 100 rd box of Lapua 7x65R brass for my 7x65R Improved project. The stief looks like an interesting caliber for my next project, I think I am going to buy that reamer, They are on sale for a very good price. So far I have built these rimmed calibers:

30-40 Krag Ackley improved
30x54R Improved
6.5x54R
307 winchester
I have also done a couple rimmed cartridges over the years. I did a 9.3x74R in a replica Winchester single shot which, after a case comparison, was reamed to 9.3/375 Flanged. I also inherited a friend's father's 6.5x54R 1899 Steyr, which needed a rebarrel, and chambered it for a more available 6.5x57R. Having a hard time getting the magazine clips to feed so it has been a single shot. Fun stuff!

Would that be the Dutch Steyr Mannlicher in 6.5X53R?
ah yes, sorry, you are absolutely correct! the old barrel had been sitting in a wet floored closet at some point and was caked with rust inside. I had PacNor copy the contour so that it would fit the same into the 50's era sporter stock. No label but it looked like a Fajen or ,,,??

What mount is that? Looks like DNZ game reaper of some sort?
Yes, if I remember correctly (good eye!) and modified at the local machine shop. I had them re-drill to match holes in the receiver ring and recontour the base to match the receiver. Expensive but works very well. I don't like it being cantilevered but what's a guy to do, eh? Side mount, naw, I like this solution better. Now, if I could only get the mag clips to work with the 6.5x57R... :(

From what I can find, The 6.5x57R rim thickness is 0.524 dia, The 6.5x53R is 0.530 , So not a huge difference.

Is it the length that is causing problems or the shoulder location?