30-06 R Stief

no, the bind comes at the rim. I have several of the clips to try. The cartridges fit nicely to begin with but the rims start overlapping and get stuck between themselves and the clip with movement. I can sometimes get a second round off the top of the clip but then they get stuck. Seems odd that a stamped piece wouldn't be more flexible in use covering similar size rims.

I'm hoping to find a 'smith that specializes in oldies like this to get some help. They're getting to be harder to find as time marches on.

I wonder if one of these may be able to be modified? Steyr m95

1655594585282.png

You could always epoxy a "Score High" Benchrest follower into the stock somehow, And make it into a single shot with no fumbling. Get one for a magnum cartridge, And it should work.

1655594842849.png

I don't think that would work as the current clips are made on a radius. It appears to have the catching notch in the right spot, though. Might be worth a try. Might even be the correct clip for all I know. The clips aren't expensive. Got the originals from Numrich.

I modified a different type of sled... I'll post a pic in a bit.

they are made from Delrin so I was able to get it machined to dimensions that would fit the receiver box, match the catch notch and feed the cartridge smoothly. Works great!

Where did you see the M95 clip advertised? I'd buy one just to try...

From wikipedia:

Due to very close dimensional relationships, boxer-primed cartridge cases can be made by resizing and trimming .303 British[12] or .30-40 Krag (.30-40 US)[13] brass, and Fire forming the resulting altered brass cases in the 6.5x53R chamber. Alteration of the original rifle chamber by re-chambering the barrel with a 6.5x57R[14] (see:6.5Ă—57mm Mauser) chamber reamer has also been done, but the overall length of the original 6.5x53mmR Dutch cartridge has to be maintained by seating the projectile more deeply in order to fit the original magazine.

Rimmed cartridges have to have an angled back magazine like the M-95 in order for the rims not to interfere with each other, Look at this siamese mauser trigger-guard/magazine
1655598879145.png

Now a standard mauser for rimless cartridges

1655598917334.png

From wikipedia:

Due to very close dimensional relationships, boxer-primed cartridge cases can be made by resizing and trimming .303 British[12] or .30-40 Krag (.30-40 US)[13] brass, and Fire forming the resulting altered brass cases in the 6.5x53R chamber. Alteration of the original rifle chamber by re-chambering the barrel with a 6.5x57R[14] (see:6.5Ă—57mm Mauser) chamber reamer has also been done, but the overall length of the original 6.5x53mmR Dutch cartridge has to be maintained by seating the projectile more deeply in order to fit the original magazine.
I don't like contradicting the experts but the 6.5x57R round works just fine at it's longer length despite what the above article says in the last line... lol 🤭

and that's where the curve in my clips comes in. Fooling with it and ammo just now, I think I may have figured out what I've been doing wrong. The rim guide in the clip keeps the base against the back of the clip. I wasn't getting the rims completely behind the guide. I'll have to get the scope off the rifle to test this as the sled only comes out the top unlike the clips which fall out the bottom when emptied. Project for this evening!!!

Sounds good, You also have to make sure that each rim you have to stack in the front of the previous one or you get what is called "Rim Lock"