30-06 and RL19

GW Hunter

Trying to burn up some RL19 that I have and decided to use it in my -06. Nosler has has a load for a 150 gr E tip from 57.5 gr (min charge @ 100% capacity) to 61.5 gr (max @ 107%). Their load is using a nosler case which holds 62.7 gr water according to their book. I am using Remington cases and at 60.5 gr the powder is to the top of the neck. Does this sound right? Are case capacities that different? I guess I need to measure the capacity of my remington cases before I proceed but something doesn't seem right... And yes my scale is calibrated and accurate.

shphtr

Try using a long (longer the better) drop tube to get some room to seat your bullets or at least get them started.

GW Hunter

I use a 4" drop tube. Any longer gets cumbersome for me. I found a tip to use a vibrating tooth brush to help settle the powder and worked like a charm. I will, however, be wary of pressure signs as I approach those loads. Thanks for the replies.

GW Hunter

Negative on the neck sizing. Not really interested in pushing this rifle to its limits. Just finding a nice moderate load for it. I was just surprised by the case capacity compared to the nosler case.

GW Hunter

Just a follow up... 60 grains of the RL19 under 150 grain TTSXs and the rifle shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards @ 2710'/sec. It is doing this with a 6 lb trigger pull, so I've decided to lighten it a bit. The rifle is a late 70's Interarms Mark X. It was basically put to stable in the 80's when I went to my Weatherby but the gun had always been fairly accurate (I obviously got a good one). Now i'm curious what I can get it do really do. I don't want to strip it to get to the trigger screws without having the torque info to put it back together. Anyone have this info for this rifle? Or know where I can find it? I have the manual but it doesn't have torque values. I also started a new thread on this subject under Gunsmithing...

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce