30-06 and RL19

GW Hunter

Trying to burn up some RL19 that I have and decided to use it in my -06. Nosler has has a load for a 150 gr E tip from 57.5 gr (min charge @ 100% capacity) to 61.5 gr (max @ 107%). Their load is using a nosler case which holds 62.7 gr water according to their book. I am using Remington cases and at 60.5 gr the powder is to the top of the neck. Does this sound right? Are case capacities that different? I guess I need to measure the capacity of my remington cases before I proceed but something doesn't seem right... And yes my scale is calibrated and accurate.

Try using a long (longer the better) drop tube to get some room to seat your bullets or at least get them started.

I use a 4" drop tube. Any longer gets cumbersome for me. I found a tip to use a vibrating tooth brush to help settle the powder and worked like a charm. I will, however, be wary of pressure signs as I approach those loads. Thanks for the replies.

Negative on the neck sizing. Not really interested in pushing this rifle to its limits. Just finding a nice moderate load for it. I was just surprised by the case capacity compared to the nosler case.

Just a follow up... 60 grains of the RL19 under 150 grain TTSXs and the rifle shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards @ 2710'/sec. It is doing this with a 6 lb trigger pull, so I've decided to lighten it a bit. The rifle is a late 70's Interarms Mark X. It was basically put to stable in the 80's when I went to my Weatherby but the gun had always been fairly accurate (I obviously got a good one). Now i'm curious what I can get it do really do. I don't want to strip it to get to the trigger screws without having the torque info to put it back together. Anyone have this info for this rifle? Or know where I can find it? I have the manual but it doesn't have torque values. I also started a new thread on this subject under Gunsmithing...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts