2900 Fps .308?

Some are shooting the 308 really hot because they cant jump up in caliber and still compete in FTR class which is only open to .223 and 308. I run my 308 on a nesika action with a 26 inch barrel pretty hard with the 168s, but not as hard as some are running the 175 and heavier bullets. Funny thing about both my 308s they really like to run hot. But with the price of lapua brass I like to get more than a couple of loadings. I settled in around 2730 and my brass seems to be lasting pretty well and accuracy is great to 800. I think my pressure is probably in the 62K PSI range and my primers are flattening pretty good.

I have run 175gr Molyed Bergers to 2700fps out of an 26" Obermeyer barrel ,this is a hot load Lapua brass only lasted about 5 reloads and thats saying ALOT for the pressures. I think my load was around 46grs of Varget with the bullet seated to touch the lands. the Match King bullet would not get this speed untill the pressures were a good bit higher ,very sticky bolt lift , hard ejector marks on a fully trued and lapped Rem 700

I think that you could probably get 2900 fps out of a 308 and 168gr bullets with a good barrel and plenty of pressure.

Guys the trick here is VN550/30"-32"barrels with long throats

One can't just use any powder and hope to get those velocities with safety. By the way the 168SMK is a 600yards bullet, not suitable for 1000yards competition. There are better choices than that.

In England and Australia they shoot .308 upto a mile and using 190/200/210 bullets, all apparently performing very well agains all the odds.

Peter

Barrels variation have big impact on velocity

I have three .308W. 22"-24" of the shelf and a 26" Match barrel. All CM and all are showing signs of pressure at virtually the same velocity, which happens to be around 2670fps. with 190SMK. They're all most accurate around the 2630fps mark. Thought the Match barrel is 0.3" and the other two 0.75". Enough accurate for my needs. However one would expect the 22" barrel to fall behind by a considerable margin, but it doesn't.

Peter

"F-Class shooters are doing up to 2900fps with 190SMK
Using Lapua .308 brass, VN550 and Sierra 190SMK and a long throat. (3" AOL). "

WOW, I guess I didnt need to get my 300 WSM....

Im running in the mid 2600's with my 168 smk, and accuracy is good so I didnt try to go any higher, as Im only shooting 400 yards most of the time paper punching in the back 40.

190/2900-300WSM anytime

"F-Class shooters are doing up to 2900fps with 190SMK
Using Lapua .308 brass, VN550 and Sierra 190SMK and a long throat. (3" AOL). "

WOW, I guess I didnt need to get my 300 WSM....

Im running in the mid 2600's with my 168 smk, and accuracy is good so I didnt try to go any higher, as Im only shooting 400 yards most of the time paper punching in the back 40.

Personally if I was to push a 190SMK at 2900fps I would choose .300WSM over .308W anytime. However it doesn't necessary mean that someone who's smarter than you or me can't do so. There are plenty of them who are and can do just that.
The smart one has to remember to use VN550/32"/long throat/3"+OAL.
The dumb one will try the same by using Varget/26"/normal throat/2.8"OAL and say it's impossible.
With this combo of course it's impossible.

Peter

Last edited:
My 308 Load

Federal Brass: Federal match large primers; RELOADER 15 @ 45.0 grains; 165 seirra gameking HPBT; 2950 FPS all day long out of a factory savage tactical model 10 with a 26" barrel.
I used to load 45.5 grains but had to back down in the summer because signs of pressure. So I just backed down a little and I can shoot year round. Very accurate 5 shot groups at 100 yards 1/2 inch or less depends on what I can do that day.
One time and one time only I guess the moons lined up because I shot a perfect three leaf clover at 400 yards. I know no one would ever believe me because I didn't believe it myself and I did it. Good thing I had a witness that day.
Granted I usually get brass from a friend that is sniper on the swat with state police and all they shoot are Factory Federal Match ammo. I can usually get about five times before they show signs of wear.

2900 fps & 165 gr

I saw a Handloader a few years ago under Readers Buylines about a guy that was getting just over 2900 fps with a 165 gr. bullet and VN550 or VN540, but I cant recall the powder he was using? He clames this in a Remington 700 ADL, 22" factory barrel.

Nonya, I just got done reloading some 175's in my 308. I am holding at 2812fps for my average of 3 different 10 shot strings. I was really startled by this as I am not getting pressure signs.

FWIW, I've talked w/ some of those same folks that PKunda is referring to. 2700-2750 is reasonably doable, 2800+ can be had... 2900 is the upper limit from what I've heard and may not be doable from every rifle regardless what magical blend of powder & barrel you have. Commonwealth (Brits, Aussies, New Zealander, etc.) 'match rifle' shooters fire out to 1200yds w/ some rather stout loads using 190-210s out of a .308, and have been doing so long before F-Class was even thought of.

The catch is... I kind of got the impression that brass life was pretty much nil... couple firings at most. Barrel life takes a downward turn as well (push the bullet at .300WM velocities... guess what, you get .300 WM barrel life, plus or minus).

It's an interesting concept... I've got a few boxes of 190-210
kicking around here. The big question is whether I have a long enough throat in my 12 F/TR to make it worth while... somewhere in all my 'spare' time I'll have to give it a go. Then again, I've shot against some folks using those 'nuclear' loads... plain old 155 VLD @ 2950fps seemed to hold its own okay for me gun)

2900FPS is pushing it, but I'm getting 2830FPS out of my 308 with a 22" barrel on my Stevens Mdl 110. I'm shooting Barnes XLC 165gr with IMR4831. However, this is a full house load, but it doesn't show any pressure signs. With a longer barrel I'm sure 2900FPS can easily be atchieved.

Re: F-Class shooters are doing up to 2900fps with 190SMK

I get 2,635 fps from a 20" barrel using...

44 grains of Reloder 15
Federal brass
165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips
CCI BR 2 primers
2.82 OAL (mag length)

No signs of pressure...EXTREMELY accurate in my rifle (an SPS Tactical).

2,900 fps is gonna be a stretch out of a "typical" rifle...2,800 fps is possible with some....2,750 is easy.

HMMM...got me thinking. I have all the componants sitting in my truck to build a savage 308 including a pac nor 12 twist barrel. I am going to build this gun this week with the intention of loading the rounds to 3+ inches just to see how fast the heavier bullets can be pushed. I am just downright curious about it and none of my other 308s have a long throat......and they shoot to darn well as is to mess with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.