2900 Fps .308?

Will do....have the barrel in the lathe and indicated. Will cut the shoulder and threads as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and then in goes the reamer. I will try and get the pillars in and get it bedded before Saturday. I have a f-class match Saturday after next and intend to shoot the gun at that match.

pics!gun)

I am getting 2900 fps from my 30" barreled Savage F/TR. I am doing this with Hogdon's listed max load of 46 grains of Varget and a Federal 210 primers. I dont think I am pushing the limit at all. I am using a 168 bullet.

Okay I got started on the 308 to try and reach extreme velocity with a HEAVY 308 bullet.

Here is the barrel...still in the lathe but the threads are cut and so it the shoulder. I would guess that I have .07 clearance between the boltface and the barrel. The bolt will close on one piece of tape but not two. No chamber yet.
IMAGE_00060.jpg

The barrel with the action and recoil lug threaded on.

IMAGE_00062.jpg

Here is the mcmillan I picked up on EBAY for this build......this build is on a budget.

IMAGE_00061.jpg

Heading back out to drill and bore it and start reaming as soon as I paint the wife's toenails.:) There has to be an easier way to get permission for buying toys than being nice to the wife......I just havent found it yet.

Ok I want to know what I'm doing wrong! 45gr. RL15, LC brass, GM210M primer, 168gr. SMK and from a 26" barrel I'm only getting 2770 FPS but ya know what the best groups are when the thing is around 2650FPS :) if your shooting that fast does it not take the fun out of the 308's wonderful rainbow arc trajectory?

Not calling anyone a lier but I'd sure like to see some printouts from the chronies, from guy who has pushed a 308 hard I might be on the fence about raising the ******** flag! I've hit 2820FPS and had to use a rubber mallet to raise the bolt handle. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done but dang those numbers are just spooky! now these numbers are from a 168SMK right and not a 155gr Palma or 125gr. NBT right?

Disclaimer: Don't take this post as directed at YOU! This post is in no way intended to offend anyone! This post is not flaming anyone! And have a nice day! Later,

Kirk

In my case... 2900+ is w/ a 155 - Berger, Sierra, Nosler or Lapua.

In my *opinion* there isn't much reason to try pushing a 168 that fast. If you can get it going that fast, you can get a 155 going faster, and half the 155s out there have higher BCs than the 168SMK to begin with. Higher BC + higher velocity = why bother? The B168VLD is a different animal, but I don't have any experience w/ it.

The people that worry me are the ones going for 2800+ from 190s, or 2700+ from 210s. That starts getting into the limited case life region, from what I can tell.

I was ready to call BS on the 190s etc. at 2900fps until I ran the numbers through quickload recently using a 2.2 COAL.

I learned recently from experiance that 51gr of H4350 will get you 2820 with a 208A-maxand COAL of 2.218. I was using a single lapua case for loading these and got 6 firings before I felt that swaging the primer pocket was called for. QL predicts 2900fps with the 190 berger. I ordered some 190s to try.

IMO There is only one reason to try and get more performance out of a 308 than the 155s will give you...and that is F-class in the target rifle division where you are limited tot he 308 win or 223 rem unaltered cases.

The key to this is the long throat setup just for the 190s. This moves the bullet well out forward from the standard COAL and increases case capacity from the norm for that weight bullet while lowering pressure due to the increased case capacity.

Not sure of the actual numbers, but anyone with quickload can see the effect themselves by adjusting the the default settings for seating and OAL in QL and watch the MV go up and the pressure down.

that is also why beware of internet posted QL numbers because they are normally run from default figures which if you are deviating from the "established norms", and you do not adjust in QL you will get bogus figures from reality.

If you trr to do this with standard 308 reamer, you will screw up as you will be short in the throat, you must go in and hand throat out to max OAL for the 190. Dave Kiff of PTG makes a really good hand throater that is easy to use.

BH

Yep I know about this! I performed the same task with my last build a 243, with a 107SMK the COL is right at 3" I'd have to get out Mr. Caliper to be sure and with 49.1gr. of Retumbo I'm getting 3050FPS not a screamin' fast load but accurate as all get out! I was going to use this rifle for tactical matches then the word of caliber restrictions started popping up and the F/TR has caliber restrictions so now it's just my fun gun but that little bullet is flat shooting! have not got it over 500 yards yet but I'm working on that ;)

Ive just heard a lot of stuff being said that has nothing to back it up other than someones word and sometimes when you don't know the person telling you this information a guys gotta wonder about the validity of the statement, make sense? Later,

Kirk

There is no caliber restriction in F-open and a 243 would be very competitive with 105 to 115s at 3000+

My bad how about the TR portion, last I recall it was 223 or 308. I have hear that some of the tactical matches are going to caliber restrictions of 223, 308, or 300 Win Mag mainly due to the 243 and others pushing the high VLD's at a good velocity. Compaired to my 308 the 243 is a cakewalk to hit targets! you can be off in you ranging a considerable amount and still make a hit since they are shooting so flat. Later,

Kirk

The main 'caliber' restrictions in tactical matches that I've been hearing the last year or two is a) no magnums and b) a velocity limit of something like 3100fps, even for the 6 / 6.5mm stuff, both mainly oriented towards limiting the damage done to steel targets (even the AR500 stuff). They ain't cheap, and someone has to pay for new ones - usually *not* the shooters. A few places have '.308 only' matches... to try and stick to the practical/tactical 'real-world' emphasis, not the 'gaming' that is so prevalent with people choosing flat shooting high-speed low-drag calibers so they can beat the .308s. I'm finally rebarreling my #1 tactical/practical stick because I'm tired of playing second fiddle to the high-speed low drag crowd. I don't mind losing, but I want it to be on a level playing field so I know it's just me.

Now that we've gone sufficiently far afield from the topic... back to your regularly scheduled programming ;)

The main 'caliber' restrictions in tactical matches that I've been hearing the last year or two is a) no magnums and b) a velocity limit of something like 3100fps, even for the 6 / 6.5mm stuff, both mainly oriented towards limiting the damage done to steel targets (even the AR500 stuff). They ain't cheap, and someone has to pay for new ones - usually *not* the shooters. A few places have '.308 only' matches... to try and stick to the practical/tactical 'real-world' emphasis, not the 'gaming' that is so prevalent with people choosing flat shooting high-speed low-drag calibers so they can beat the .308s. I'm finally rebarreling my #1 tactical/practical stick because I'm tired of playing second fiddle to the high-speed low drag crowd. I don't mind losing, but I want it to be on a level playing field so I know it's just me.

Now that we've gone sufficiently far afield from the topic... back to your regularly scheduled programming ;)

What will you change to?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.