2900 Fps .308?

All it takes is taking care of the barrel by keeping it clean, keeping the pressure down to reasonable pressures, keeping the velocities below 3,000 ft/sec and allowing the barrel to cool as much as possible. Most military rifles are loaded below 3,000 ft/sec and use ball powder for longevity.

Most of the barrels you listed exceed these in one way or the other. :)

The 308 Is one of the cartridges that will give many years of service under these conditions.

J E CUSTOM
Yessir. I've come to see barrels as expendable. I like my rifles like race cars. You won't get a lot of miles, but you'll get a LOT of fun out of the miles you do get!

if anyone is still out there, lapua palma 308 brass will last longer in top end loads, small primer puts more metal in the case head. I said nothing about going over, just longer case life at the top end.

if anyone is still out there, lapua palma 308 brass will last longer in top end loads, small primer puts more metal in the case head. I said nothing about going over, just longer case life at the top end.

I love the Palma brass. The lots I've used have a little more capacity and I get lower extreme spreads with the smaller primer. I can squeeze 50.0 of H4350 under a 190 VLD and 49.0 under a 200 hybrid. With 26-28" barrels, they scream with easy bolt lift and no other pressure signs.

I was getting 2825 in mine. 168gr Hornady btsp, imr4064 and cci in federal gmm brass. No pressure signs, but put the same load in Remington brass and primers start to crater.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.