.284 Winchester?

I shoot 168 gr, Bergers out of my 7mm WSM at aroud 2850. It looks like you can load the .284 AI to at least that velocity. I shoot everyting with that bullet including javelina, ibex, deer, elk, aoudad, and bear. At 340 yards, it dropped two elk almost in their tracks. I have the bullets seated close to the lands, which won't fit in the magazine. I use Barnes 160 gr. bullets in the magazine for backup, but don't think I've ever used them. I did once shoot to scare away a cougar, and chambered one of the Barnes so fast I never found the brass. That Berger going just over his scalp, made him jump 5 ft in the air and disappear, so the Barnes wasn't needed.

Two of my 284's have magazines and are limited to 2.8" OAL. With 23" barrels on both, I get 3100+FPS with 140 GrainTSX bullets. These loads are very stout but do not show any pressure signs in my rifles. The bullet jump is way more than I like, but the browning a bolt with the shillen barrel will print 1/2" 5 shot groups pretty regularly. I have another 284 with a 3.1" magazine that will allow seating the bullets out a bit more but haven't shot it very much because it is quite heavy. I really like this caliber for both elk and deer as it provides good performance in a short action.

Looking to chamber a short action and wanting a heavier bullet. I think a 284 win would be pretty efficient with a 168 to 175 gr bullet. Thoughts?
I think a 7 SAUM or a 7 WSM would fit better in the action length with the bullet weights you are looking to shoot, and get you more speed. But I am partial to those two as well. Any particular reason leaning years a .284? Already have dies/brass? Traditionalist?Nostalgia?

I have a short action Remington 700 set up in 284Win. With a Wyatt's box, I'm running a max of 2.995" from the magazine. I'm running 168ABLR at 2799 fps and 165TGK at 2830fps out of a 25" barrel, so it can be done. A mid length of long action would give it room to run even more, and I think I'd start losing too much going up to 175gr+ bullets, but it is a solid improvement over the 7mm-08 that it used to be; that ran a 140AB at 2800 or 150ABLR at 2730ish.

In answer to your original question: With a 150 grain bullet out of a 24" barrel you're looking at around 2900 fps at best. In a 22" barrel around 2800 fps. Many variables do come into play none will get you beyond those velocities by much.

I did this in a 6.5-284 on a Kimber 84M SA and even with the mag box opened up the most I could load to was 2.9" so you are very restricted and end up using case capacity if your wanting to load heavier bullets, the 284 will be no different, use an XM or long action you'll be much happier and easier for resale if you sell down the road

I did a 6 dasher on a Remington 700 SA with a Wyatt extended box. At the same time I had a 24" benchmark chambered to a 284 Win. I'm at 2.995" as well on box length. The Dasher has been so much fun I haven't tried the 284 yet. But when I do I'm leaning towards a 140 AH or maybe even a 120 HH for deer out to 500 yds. I did mock up a 155 HH and it's to far into the case for my liking. I agree with others to go long action, for the best performance.

I have a 284 Shehane ( improved version of 284 Win) and I love it. But it is in a long action and I load it to 3.2 coal with 162-175 gr bullets. It shoots very accurately and nearly as fast as a 7RM.

Looking to chamber a short action and wanting a heavier bullet. I think a 284 win would be pretty efficient with a 168 to 175 gr bullet. Thoughts?
I had the same idea about 8 years ago. I built a 284 on a short Defiance action and paired it with 162gr ELD-Xs. Very accurate rifle. However, a lot of the potential was lost due the longer bullets taking up case space in order to work in a short action. If I was to do it again I would use a long action. I would go for cartridge that truly works well in a short action if you want to shoot that weight of bullet. My lesson learned.

Couldn't he do the short action and just have it throated for whatever bullet he intended to use so it wouldn't protrude into case to far?
Sure if he wants to make a single shot with heavies then no problem. The OAL is going to get you if you want heavier bullets. No sense in chambering a 284 and then not getting full capacity . If he could find a Medium Action OK. There isn't too much difference in cycling a short & long action. The 284 win can push those larger pills for best performance.
Why limit the cartridge. If you want a short action go with a caliber to fit. There are plenty 7mm cases out there.

Fantastic option imo. The 175 class bullet flies very well at 2700-2800 FPS range and would be in the wheelhouse for the .284 case. Not sure about COAL and short action mags tho. Research that well before deciding if you want to run the 175s.

I'm thinking if you try and jam a really long heavy bullet into a .284 Win and cram it into a SA action, in the end, you're going to end up with a 7mm Mauser in performance, not knocking the 7mm Mauser I love that cartridge. Just stop fighting the physics and use a LA and shoot whatever you want. I think much of the discussions over SA and LA is more hype than engineering, the physical size is near a moot point in my book "as" a hunting rifle. Good luck Cheers.

What action you building on? If its a true SAAMI spec short action (~2.8" COAL magazine) both of those bullets are going to be way too deep in the case.

Try and find a Win M70 or a Savage (or something like a Defiance XM if you are going custom) with a longer mag box if you really want to optimize that case/bullet combo.