Short action .284 Winchester opinions

I don't know everything, but I'll tell you I have had great success with my 284 win short action. I've taken multiple elk and deer at long range with no issues. 168g Berger bullets shoot excellent!

I'd go 6.5x47 with a 130 Berger. My load load holds enough velocity for expansion out to 750 yds. For a low recoil deer round I don't think you can beat it. If you want more velocity then I agree on the 260AI.

Agreed. I hunt with the 145 LRX in my .284, but if I was going for mag-length in the SA then I might look at the 120 TTSX. One shot with the 145 is all that I have ever needed though, and that can be loaded full length.

Look into a 7mm 08 with a Wyatt 3.0 mag box.

I can seat 162 ELDm at 2.980 COAL and if you have the chamber set correct you can have a CBTO of around 2.232 with a 10 thou jump. If I run 168 VLDs at a CBTO of 2.203 they jump 56 thou to the lands with the same COAL. The ogive on these bullets is quite different.

I've got a bartlien 3b LT bull 25.5 inch barrel on it. The load I chose pushes them just over 2800 fps and gives over 1800 + fps / 1200 + ftlb of e at 1000 yards with ELD'm. FYI I'm shooting at 8,000 ft and higher altitude. Using CCI 250 with 42.4 of Varget.

I get .4 and .5 groups with an ES of 4 and ES of 10ish with the VLDs and recently shot a 1 5/8 inch group at 600 yards with the ELD'M.

Basically I'm getting 280 Remington performance and at this altitude can easily get 2900+ without pressure hello 7mm wsm / saum velocities. But I'm not interested since 2800 fps gives me what I need out 1000 yards.

These conversations get more protracted as time goes on and other cartridges are added as exceptions. If you want to use the SA receiver you have already, choose the proper cartridge/bullet combination and go hunt. If you need or want an intermediate length action without all the milling out of your short action, use the Defiance XM action factory original magazine feed for cartridges with an overall length not to exceed 3.200"

https://defiancemachine.com/actions/deviant/deviant-ultralight/

Look into a 7mm 08 with a Wyatt 3.0 mag box.

Remember that you will be paying your gunsmith to mill out the bottom of your action to accept these boxes. He does not work for free. Then remember that this action is forever committed to this configuration.

CFE-5 Magazine Box
[CFE-5]

This box is designed as an extended length center feed box for the Rem. M-700 Short Action.

This box is for use with the WSM and RSAUM size cases. .284 cases will work as well. This box does not play well with standard size cartridge cases. IE .243, .308, etc.

These boxes are sold with an F-7 follower.

This box extends the O.A.L. of the ctg. approx. .110".

Outside length is 3.070". Inside length is 2.995".

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INTERNAL BOXES

• Mill magazine box mortice rearward as shown in (figure 1), just long enough for the extended box to fit.
  • Shorten face of bolt stop .110" (figure 2) to accomodate extra box length.
  • When fitting the magazine lips, bend the lips inward until it takes medium pressure to push the cartridge through them. When pushing the cartridges through the lips, make sure that the magazine lips do not contact the action rails. If allowed to do so, this will cause a bind during the loading process. If they do touch, correct this by lowering the top of the lips and bending them in farther.
  • This design is not of the in-line type. The cartridges will sit in the box staggard and will pop to center when pushed forward.
  • The extended boxes may or may not fit the factory bottom metal. The easiest cure is to relieve the back of the magazine box so it sits on top of the bottom metal instead of in the mortice. Most of our boxes are allready cut for this.___________________________________________________________
Otherwise, your next choice could very well be a Long Action with the bolt face of your choice. There is one being offered now for $335.00 with a trigger but no bottom metal. Yes, I'm aware that the bottom metal will increase the cost unless you use the ADL system and skip everything except the box, spring and follower.

The long action opens up the realm of standard bolt face cartridges as well as the magnum bolt face cartridges without any of the squishing necessitated by trying to cram a cartridge into a SA box using a longer VLD bullet.

I have used a 7mm RSAUM with the longer, heavier bullets (175 Berger VLD) in a standard SA box with excellent results in both accuracy and performance at distances in the 600+ yard range. No muss, no fuss, no mess. So whatever you read about the necessity of using an extended box or long action is simply not true, at least for this particular cartridge. We proved this during the development of the 6.5 GAP 4S, all short actions, all the time with excellent performance.

Step back and take some time to assess your situation and your hunting circumstances. Examine the choices available given the cartridge/bullet combinations to choose from. Then sleep on it. Wake up refreshed and get started with your project. ;):D

Enjoy the process!

7-08 AI.
It will be close to the 284 in performance, but short enough, although still will be limited in the mag.
THIS ^^^^ would be my choice, too with, a 24 inch barrel and,.. NO Brake ! My son shoots a 7-08 Tikka, T3X 22.5" with 150 ELD-X's at 2,850 FPS, using 44.7 grs of, RL-17 it's very accurate ( SUB MOA,.. easily) and you should get 3,000 out of, the Ackley Imp. with the 150's and the 160 AccuBond is another option IF, more weight, is needed.
PS; you don't need to spend a lot of Money for performance,.. IMHO the 7-08 or Ackley version, WILL get it,.. DONE !

Last edited:
These conversations get more protracted as time goes on and other cartridges are added as exceptions. If you want to use the SA receiver you have already, choose the proper cartridge/bullet combination and go hunt. If you need or want an intermediate length action without all the milling out of your short action, use the Defiance XM action factory original magazine feed for cartridges with an overall length not to exceed 3.200"

Remember that you will be paying your gunsmith to mill out the bottom of your action to accept these boxes. He does not work for free. Then remember that this action is forever committed to this configuration.

CFE-5 Magazine Box
[CFE-5]

This box is designed as an extended length center feed box for the Rem. M-700 Short Action.

This box is for use with the WSM and RSAUM size cases. .284 cases will work as well. This box does not play well with standard size cartridge cases. IE .243, .308, etc.

• Mill magazine box mortice rearward as shown in (figure 1), just long enough for the extended box to fit.
  • When fitting the magazine lips, bend the lips inward until it takes medium pressure to push the cartridge through them. When pushing the cartridges through the lips, make sure that the magazine lips do not contact the action rails. If allowed to do so, this will cause a bind during the loading process. If they do touch, correct this by lowering the top of the lips and bending them in farther.
  • This design is not of the in-line type. The cartridges will sit in the box staggard and will pop to center when pushed forward.
  • The extended boxes may or may not fit the factory bottom metal. The easiest cure is to relieve the back of the magazine box so it sits on top of the bottom metal instead of in the mortice. Most of our boxes are allready cut for this.___________________________________________________________
Otherwise, your next choice could very well be a Long Action with the bolt face of your choice. There is one being offered now for $335.00 with a trigger but no bottom metal. Yes, I'm aware that the bottom metal will increase the cost unless you use the ADL system and skip everything except the box, spring and follower.

The long action opens up the realm of standard bolt face cartridges as well as the magnum bolt face cartridges without any of the squishing necessitated by trying to cram a cartridge into a SA box using a longer VLD bullet.

I have used a 7mm RSAUM with the longer, heavier bullets (175 Berger VLD) in a standard SA box with excellent results in both accuracy and performance at distances in the 600+ yard range. No muss, no fuss, no mess. So whatever you read about the necessity of using an extended box or long action is simply not true, at least for this particular cartridge. We proved this during the development of the 6.5 GAP 4S, all short actions, all the time with excellent performance.

Step back and take some time to assess your situation and your hunting circumstances. Examine the choices available given the cartridge/bullet combinations to choose from. Then sleep on it. Wake up refreshed and get started with your project. ;):D

Enjoy the process!

CFE-5 Magazine Box
[CFE-5]

Enjoy the process![/QUOTE

As an additional note I did not use the CFE mag. It's a hunting rifle so I'm running an internal mag with the original BDL bottom metal that the factory uses. All the smith did was remove just a little metal to allow that 3.0 box to fit nothing else was done it took 5 minutes.

All I could go by is what your wrote in your post and what is written on Wyatt's website. I avoid those boxes because I have other solutions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.