6.5-284 in a short action

jotrot

looking for feed back on the 6.5x284 in a rem. 700 short action with the extended box magazine that goes to 299, I'm wondering if I can reach 2900 vel. with a 24in. barrel with the 140's ?

Is this something you're thinking about doing or something you've already done? Obviously it can be done, but a short action will neuter the cartridge somewhat .

You might get 2900 with 140's in a 24" bbl , but you will be pushing it pretty hard , high pressures and poor brass life. If you already have this done in a short action, I'd go with the 130 grain bullets. You will get good speed without having to put the pedal to the metal and 130's still have a respectable BC.

If you're aware of the limitations of a short action, only you can make the decision. If you want a light weight backpacking rife , by all means use the short action and a 24" bbl paired with a lighter synthetic stock and appropriate optic . Keep the 130 grain bullets in mind for this type of build , a fast 130 will out perform a slow 140 .

If you want to maximize the potential of the cartridge and weight isn't an issue, definitely do it on a long action with a minimum 26" bbl , I would use a fast twist in order to take advantage of the 140-147 grain bullets. Mine is a 1-8.5 twist , shoots the 140's great , does not like the 147's.

I've done it thinking I could be happy with it as a single Shot. In the end I had that barrel taken off and put aside until a donor action comes along.
Extracting loaded rounds was a hassle, so I filed back the stop on the bolt retention but even then it was problematic.
You're better off with a long action.

With a 2.99" magazine you may be able to get away with 140VLD's at +2950FPS out of your rifle. Will depend in your rifles throating. My most recent 6.5x284, LA build is throated to give me a COAL using 140VLD Hunting Bergers to the lands at 2.960". With my accuracy load, the VLD is seated .020" off the lands giving a COAL of 2.940". With this load using 58gr of Retumbo/Fed 210M primers is get 3000FPS out of my 26" barrel. My 24" rifle handles this load with a complete burn and gives the same velocity as my 26" tube. Given the throating of your chamber isn't overly long, you should be able to make it work. The issue with many SA rifles causing issues with the 6.5x284 COAL is that the magazine lengths are around 2.8" .....too short. Your 2.99" should be OK.

Which manufacturer has the longest short action, or can be opened up the longest add an extended box and still feed reliably ? I know removing rounds can bug some people, depends on the rifles use.

, I'm looking at having to re barrel my 264 to 6.5x284, wish I had the short action and the decision would be what I really want, a 6.5 gap. More speed, lower pressures,longer barrel life, still performs well in a 25 inch barrel. I would take a hard look at a 6.5 saum or gap, same thing. Made for a short action, only major down fall is brass it's either reform Remington brass or go hornaday.

, I'm looking at having to re barrel my 264 to 6.5x284, wish I had the short action and the decision would be what I really want, a 6.5 gap. More speed, lower pressures,longer barrel life, still performs well in a 25 inch barrel. I would take a hard look at a 6.5 saum or gap, same thing. Made for a short action, only major down fall is brass it's either reform Remington brass or go hornaday.

You probably know that going from 264 to 6.5x284 requires a bolt face change.

Since it is already a magnum bolt face staying magnum seems to be the an easier path. Lots of pluses few minuses.

6.5/300WSM
6.5 SAUM
6.5 Sherman Short mag

A little divider in the magazine well like Weatherby does and you can choose a spot that will give you plenty of length. Unlike my short action where I am limited to 2.85" but my 300WSM with most bullets is well past 2.95 I might even put that barrel on a long action with a couple tweaks like the magazine divider.

I don't know what a 6.5 GAP is.

Then there is just staying with your 264 with a new high quality barrel. There is nothing wrong with the 264. If you are not wanting to go "flat out lights out to 400 yards" it's a fine chambering. Same (close) powder as the listed sort mags. Not exotic in any way.

Yeah I see what you mean on the bolt face. The 264 I have now is a semi custom and its nearing the end of its life, 800 rounds. Probably be further ahead just to go that route again and go with a full custom 6.5 GAP if I want one and build it as light as possible for a back pack gun. The 6.5x284 is on heck of a proven cartridge, have always wanted one. Love the 6.5s

The two most popular powders for the 6.5-284 are H4350 and H4831SC. You can't safely get enough of either in the case to require seating 140s out long. I found that a short action with a Wyatt box worked just fine. If you want to run RETUMBO or something really slow, then you'll need a long action to get the quantity of powder it'll take to get top velocities. If all you want is 2950'sec, you don't need a long action to do it.

You probably know that going from 264 to 6.5x284 requires a bolt face change.

Since it is already a magnum bolt face staying magnum seems to be the an easier path. Lots of pluses few minuses.

6.5/300WSM
6.5 SAUM
6.5 Sherman Short mag

A little divider in the magazine well like Weatherby does and you can choose a spot that will give you plenty of length. Unlike my short action where I am limited to 2.85" but my 300WSM with most bullets is well past 2.95 I might even put that barrel on a long action with a couple tweaks like the magazine divider.

I don't know what a 6.5 GAP is.

Then there is just staying with your 264 with a new high quality barrel. There is nothing wrong with the 264. If you are not wanting to go "flat out lights out to 400 yards" it's a fine chambering. Same (close) powder as the listed sort mags. Not exotic in any way.

Good advice, there. I'd go with the 6.5 SAUM 4s or I'd go with the new 6.5 PRC from Hornady. There will be factory ammo available for that cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.