.284 Winchester

It has become extremely popular in IBS and NBRSA 600 and 1000yrd competition. Some in 30" barrels have pushed the 180 bergers to 3000fps and 168s to 3100fps with stiff charges of Rl17, or if you're not a fan of Alliant powders, H4350 only gives up 60-70fps. In a 26" barrel 2900+fps is doable with 168 Bergers and RL17. Also good brass is easy to come by, just use Norma, Lapua, or Nosler 6.5x284 brass and neck it up, winchester brass is tough but needs to be sorted and takes more prep work and sometimes its harder to find. All in all the 284 is a very efficient and effective round.

I'm currently assembling a 284 myself for longrange steel plate shooting. Ive got the Stiller P-1000 1.55 incher and a 33" blank in hand. I've slowly been aquiring brass, powder, primers, dies, expander mandrels and bullets. I think, like many do, that it's quite possibly one of the best long range non mag rounds available today.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.