.284 Winchester?

I've owned about 3-4 each of 284's and 280's and never can get the speed from a 280 as I can from a 284. I pretty much ignore manual loads (for the well known reasons) and watch velocity and pressure.

I've owned about 3-4 each of 284's and 280's and never can get the speed from a 280 as I can from a 284. I pretty much ignore manual loads (for the well known reasons) and watch velocity and pressure.
Same experience here. Unless I improved the case, I couldn't get equal performance before pressure started. That's comparing apples to apples too. Long action to long action.

I have done the same with loading for the 284 and have stayed with 150 gr and lighter bullets for my clip imposed 2.8" OAL. I have gotten over 3100 FPS with 140 gr Barnes TSX bullets with several different powders, but IMR and H 4350 have been my favorites. I just picked up 3 280 AI's and so far the performance has been stellar. Almost 3200 FPS with the Barnes 145 Long range bullet. All of these loads were above the charts, but no abnormal ejections, velocities, or pressure signs were found. It's just a PITA to make cases as I have a bunch of once fired 280 remington cases in the stockpile. I'm happy to be able to say that powder and bullets are just starting to be available in decent quantities again, but the prices are still kinda high. I'm stocked well enough to make it until next year thank goodness and hope we go back to some kind of normal. If the Russians come to America, I'm ready!!

I'm glad I bought 2000 284 brass back in the 90's to feed my 3 284 rifles. They last 7 or 8 reloadings with stout hunting loads. With target loads they last 10 to 12 reloads sometimes more. I did have to purchase a small base die to help with feeding issues.
I know the guy who bought all of the remaining stock from W/W many moons back...only casings he could ever make the 6 5/284 shoot at a world class competition level @1000 ,yards, could never make the others work to the same level..

If you were to use it as a single shot, blank off the magazine the 284 would be great in a short action. (I like my 7mm's). If you were going to a long action you might consider the 280AI.
I no longer own a 284, not because of the cartridge, but because the rifle it was chambered in.
BTW, my 700 7mm RM shoots bug hole groups with ABLR's.

Going back, the Army found the long action with short cartridges to be an advantage for OAL of cartridges used aka the 7.62x51mm NATO it's not a handicap using a LA for a short cartridge build. Why fight physic, just buy the LA if you want to shoot the longer .284 Win with heavier bullets in your rifle, and you will still be able to feed out of a magazine. Granted it may be nothing more than a .280 Rem or something in its class, which would also fit in the same action, but that ain't bad... and, it's a cartridge you have a fondness for, isn't that what's it's all about getting what we want for whatever reason, e.g I just like it!

"The M24 SWS has the "long action" bolt version of the Remington 700 receiver but is chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO "short action" cartridge that has an overall length of 2.750 inches (69.85 mm). The "long action" allows the rifle to be re-configured for dimensionally larger cartridges up to 3.340 inches (84.84 mm) in overall length"

Just thinking out loud guys... Cheers.