284 Win Elk bullet

Seems like RL 26 might work good with the heavier bullets in the 284. But, I'm definitely not an expert on powders....maybe someone else can chime in? I won't be hitting the range for another few months though, so I won't have any personal data until then. From what I have been reading, people are getting nice results with 26 in calibers other than what it is advertised for. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

I can say that another cow elk fell to the 145 LRX this morning. Double lung shot at 250-300 yds. She was on the move with the rest of the herd, continued about 30 yds after she was hit and then crashed. Complete pass through, golf ball size exit.
I know I know, old thread, but curious jclimb1 did you ever get around to rl26 in your tikka 284? I have 8lbs showing up tomorrow and really interesting in rechambering my tikka for this round. Was thinking 280AI, but this maybe the ticket

We have done well with rl26 in the 280ai as long as the barrel is 24" or more. In my 22" barrel I was not able to get full burn. This was with 143g bullets. Heavier bullets would let you get away with less barrel. rl26 has great density and seems to find a way to burn even when it looks like it should be too slow.

I bought some 155 HH for my 284. But it's on a SA and they're going to be to long. Guess I'll need to order some 143's or perhaps try a sledge hammer design. Fresh 8 lb jug of R26 ready to test. Never even loaded any 155's because they will take up to much case capacity. It's to bad because that 155 HH is a beautiful looking bullet.

I bought some 155 HH for my 284. But it's on a SA and they're going to be to long. Guess I'll need to order some 143's or perhaps try a sledge hammer design. Fresh 8 lb jug of R26 ready to test. Never even loaded any 155's because they will take up to much case capacity. It's to bad because that 155 HH is a beautiful looking bullet.
2.97" COAL would be about as short as you can seat the 155g HH. How long is your mag?

Thanks Steve. I will probably place a order for more bullets. Then I can return these. I don't feel right shooting a few bullets, then returning a not full box. It is already nice of you to offer to take them back.

Thanks Steve. I will probably place a order for more bullets. Then I can return these. I don't feel right shooting a few bullets, then returning a not full box. It is already nice of you to offer to take them back.
I'm good either way. As long as you get what you need.

160 AB has crossed my mind. But with the results I had last season with the 6.5 cal 124 HH, I'll try the 143 HH in my 284.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.