Best .308 Win Bullet for Elk

Since this will probably be a once in a lifetime hut for me that I have been saving for for over 2 years and the fact that I am almost 55 years old I think I will just take two guns and be done with it. My 300 RUM is a Remington Sendero with a custom Douglas 28" barrel and brake, Nightforce 5.5x22x56 scope, Jewell trigger, etc. that shoots the 215 Berger at a legitimate 0.5 MOA at 1000 yards.

Saving for a while...
once in a lifetime...
I would say plan for the worse case scenario. That means 300 RUM with a suitable bullet for almost any range/shot offered, and take a second rifle.

I have shot several elk with a 308 and 168 grain smk or amax and never had any issues put it where it counts and your good to go no caliber is gonna make a bad shot a good one.
I agree, to a point. A marginal shot with a lesser round might not be so with the extra horsepower. Example could be angled shots on elk.

Have seen more elk cover country after being shot with fast magnums than I have anything else due to the bullet just penciling through never had that problem with my 308.
How is it the extra velocity makes them pencil through, sounds more like a case of improper bullet choice. Care to elaborate?

That being said I prefer my 338 lapua if the shots are gonna be extended :D
Agreed
[\
QUOTE]

The reason I stated that the high velocity magnums actually had poor results is due to the fact that at closer distances the velocity actually hinders the bullet performance when a heart or lung shot is taken. Now a high shoulder shot would be a different deal altogether, but I have personally seen elk shot with a 7mag that covered a lot of ground do the bullet passing through and the energy wasted with a lung shot.

A lot of hunters around here see the high shoulder shot as a waste of meat I know cause I have had this debate 100 times I always say high shoulder and they say lung shot until they see a high shoulder shot and the way in anchors a critter down:D

I actually shot a 7 rem mag for a long time and killed numerous elk at all kinds of ranges however I probably shot one of the slowest ones around as I liked a heavier bullet and less velocity.

I have shot several elk with a 308 and 168 grain smk or amax and never had any issues put it where it counts and your good to go no caliber is gonna make a bad shot a good one. Know your limits and shoot accordinly and you ought to have no issues.

Have seen more elk cover country after being shot with fast magnums than I have anything else due to the bullet just penciling through never had that problem with my 308.

That being said I prefer my 338 lapua if the shots are gonna be extended :D

+1

My gun safe and yours are similar. The 308 is my go to rifle, light weight and carryable but the 338 always goes in the Pelican Storm Case as well.

Sometimes a sledgehammer is necessary when a framing hammer won't cut the mustard.

Last year in NM, we fouled the barrels on the outfitters private range prior to and I pulled out the 338. The outfitter had never seen one close up so I let him touch off a couple. I suspect there is a 338 in his gun cabinet now.

His comment was, "That SOB is loud but it's real manageable'. It's loud. Too bad it's so heavy.

The reason I stated that the high velocity magnums actually had poor results is due to the fact that at closer distances the velocity actually hinders the bullet performance when a heart or lung shot is taken. Now a high shoulder shot would be a different deal altogether, but I have personally seen elk shot with a 7mag that covered a lot of ground do the bullet passing through and the energy wasted with a lung shot.

A lot of hunters around here see the high shoulder shot as a waste of meat I know cause I have had this debate 100 times I always say high shoulder and they say lung shot until they see a high shoulder shot and the way in anchors a critter down:D

I actually shot a 7 rem mag for a long time and killed numerous elk at all kinds of ranges however I probably shot one of the slowest ones around as I liked a heavier bullet and less velocity.

What bullets have you seen this with, I've never experienced the facts your talking about. I've see elk every year cover a lot of ground dragging a front leg, a great reason to shoot a bullet that will open through their lungs!!

I didnt call them facts just personal experiance and the bullets varied but most where store bought ammo. Not everyone rolls there own i always attributed it to a combination of speed and bullet selection i shot 168 smks out of my 7 mag and it was a devestating combo ymmv

I am one of them "youngens", but I would say that if this trip is important to you then you should bring the gun that you feel most confident in. The 300 sounds like it. I would also prepare myself physically for a "trip of a lifetime". Go and hike with your rifle, or a heavy pack, or a pvc pipe filled with gravel. Whatever you do, don't end up being one of those guys you see on hunting shows getting dragged up the mountain by their guides. You will enjoy it more if you are in shape and don't have to worry about your weapon's capabilities. Good luck! gun)

What bullets have you seen this with, I've never experienced the facts your talking about. I've see elk every year cover a lot of ground dragging a front leg, a great reason to shoot a bullet that will open through their lungs!!

Hes talking about smashing both shoulders. No animal can run with its shoulders smashed.
Smash one or just the legs and they get along just fine.

In Africa the shoulder shot is the only shot they take. It works very well, but it seriously messes up the meat! Sometimes requires a finisher.

180 grain Barnes X. I have shot 2 bulls over the last 2 years with them and it did its job. Also used it in Africa 3xs shooting 2 kudu bulls and 1 zebra stallion (among other trophies). Took the zebra straight on at 125 yards. The bullet ran the full length of the animal and had him pumping blood like no one's business.

There might be other bullets that put more "shock" in an animal but the Barnes will penetrate. That is the most important thing on a .308 Win on bigger game.

Just my $.02.

I shot an elk with a 338 win mag with 225 gr Barnes. Took 3 shots...2of which should have been fatal in short order. He headed uphill before my last shot! Used my 6.5x284 this year with 140 Bergers and both died within 20 yds.....1 shot.

I love Nosler bullets. Accubonds and Partitions are about all I shoot at game anymore. That being said I wanted a do it all bullet for my .308 that could tackle whatever I come across when hunting without changing loads and bullet weight for different species or ranges. I have settled on the Speer 180 Spitzer Boat Tail. It has a BC of .540! Better than the 180AB @ .507 and the 180PT @ .474. I like to think of it as everything the Partition is but with a BC that can be respected in the long range community. Not flashy but VERY functional!

"The 180 grain Speer BTSP is, regardless of its weight, still a good performer on light or lean bodied game. Kills can be slightly delayed at impact velocities below 2200fps yet it is not unreasonable to ask this bullet to tackle lean bodied deer out to ranges of around 500-600 yards. Suffice to say, the 180 grain Speer BTSP expands at low impact velocites.. This bullet is well suited to game weighing between 70kg and 180kg and is adequate for use on Elk sized game, especially as velocity drops below 2000fps. This is a bullet that can be put to purpose. Furthermore, its BC is almost identical to the 175 grain Berger VLD, food for thought."
-Excerpt from Ballisticstudies.com

Say it leaves the muzzle at 2620fps. At 450 yards it is still at almost 1950fps and over 1500 ft lbs, drop is 33.6" with a 220 yard zero.

This bullet has built up a lot of trust with me and it hasn't let me down yet. From point blank to farther than most would hunt with a 308. See if your rifle will shoot it. Oh and it is have the price of my beloved Noslers.

I would confidently shoot all three bullets listed for elk to 400+.

me id opt for the 300 if you shoot it well. But as to the 308 theres no need for premium bullets or even 180s and heavier. A good cup and core 150 or 165 will harvest any elk at reasonable ranges. I havent shot an elk with one but have put many deer and some black bear and pigs with 150 powerpoints out of a 308 and never found them lacking. An elk isnt any harder to kill then a big hog or black bear. If you feel the need for 180s its probably time to step up to a bigger gun.

Rangerman, to answer your question on best bullet choice for Elk and .308 Win., i have used the Nosler Partition, Speer Grand Slam and Barnes X bullet with great success on Elk in Colorado using a .280 Rem. I see no reason why a .308 would not do as well as long as bullet wt. is not below 165 gr. Good luck on your hunt. ..... SEMPER FI!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.