284 Win Elk bullet

I looked at that as inspiration for actually building my 284. Great build

I'm just guessing but that article is about 5yrs old. My 284 is appr 9 1/2 lbs and good pack weight for me since I'm 74.

I'd had couple 6x284 build then had 6.5x284 Norma build OAL 3.228" and had .290 neck and it had 28" barrel. I don't hunt the timber here in Co but do like to get above timberline.

You'll have fun with 284.

AZ I have wanted to try the Berger but was a little concerned with 200-500 yard shots. Maybe I am wrong on that and they will work fine.

Unfortunately I am on a SA right this second till next month when I buy the LA and remove the barrel and start over.

The ELD is much more frangible than the Berger at closer ranges.

Thanks AZ. I really enjoy mine. I went with the Savage just cause the option for drop in barrels. I actually have 2 284 barrels cause I do like the cartridge so much. One is a shilen the other is a Criterion. I hope to keep shooting this cartridge the rest of my life. I'll post up results of the elk hunts next week.

Not to hijack your thread, but owning both the criterion and shilen in the same caliber which do you prefer? And if your sticking to elk strictly the 160 accubond wouldnt ever let you down, everything else seems to have a weakness in one area or another.

MT I haven't shot the Criterion yet as it has a large shank. I'm in the process of acquiring a long action and mounting the criterion to it. So I'll post up something in a comparison.

As far as the accubond goes I may give that a try at some point.

I'm just guessing but that article is about 5yrs old. My 284 is appr 9 1/2 lbs and good pack weight for me since I'm 74.

I'd had couple 6x284 build then had 6.5x284 Norma build OAL 3.228" and had .290 neck and it had 28" barrel. I don't hunt the timber here in Co but do like to get above timberline.

You'll have fun with 284.

Tom,

I hope I can still get up in the high country when I'm 74.

On topic, the 284 is vying for a vote on my Savage Switch-Barrel Build. If I were to pick a 284 up tomorrow and go elk hunting, I'd probably go with the 160gr AccuBond or 168 gr VLD. I have heard good things about the ELD-X but I'm one of those that likes to go with what's been working for a long time. Take my recommendation with a grain of salt as I've never hunted elk nor do I own a 284. I just read a lot and study a lot because when I get the chance, I want to be ready.

I will chime in here with a plug for Criterion barrels. I have a 26" varmint contour with 9-twist on a Savage 110. I have 10 rounds through the barrel, all of them with the Hornady HPBT Match 162 sitting on 56-grains of H4831SC, Norma .284 Win brass and CCI 200 primers. They are loaded to 3.140", which puts them ~0.012 off the lands. Two five-round groups at 100-yards, 0.275 and 0.315 MOA. I have a Witt brake on this rifle, and the recoil is nearly non-existent. When your groups are that small, you're having so much fun that any recoil is not noticed, anyway. I was shooting off of a bench, on a bipod. I do not favor shooting that way, but the range was too hammered with AR guys that day to move benches and shoot from the prone.

I don't do barrel break-ins. Just fired what I had on hand the last time that I was at the range. I will be loading Barnes 171 HPBT and 145 LRX coming up. Interested to see how they will shoot, but so far I'm encouraged that at least the accuracy potential with that barrel is showing up. MV, according to QL, is supposedly in the realm of 2,864, with 58,205 PSI, using that 162.

Last edited:
Most guys seem to see best accuracy with 4831. Next seems to be H4350 and last RL-17. I haven't seen H4831SC on shelves for like 4 months. I have 6lbs of 17 so that's what I've been loading. I have 1/2 load in my shilen barrel. I plan on playing around more to see if I can tighten it up

I have a couple of pounds of H4350 here, which I had purchased for another project. I've run the numbers in QL, and the pressures are higher using that powder relative to H4831SC with the same calculated MV. That's the primary reason that I began with H4831SC; I like the lower pressure. If the next few groups are as accurate as the first two were, I doubt that I will change anything at all about the load.

I've been wanting to get my hands on some RL26, as I also use it for 6.5x55, but it (and RL17) are nowhere to be found right now. The RL26 loads for the .284 look promising; would try that with the 171 Barnes, likely.

It completely depends on the COAL, which in itself is a little imprecise because the primary consideration is the length of the ogive off the lands. Due to the variance in each batch of bullets, there are bound to be slight inconsistencies in MV and pressure as a result of the jump. Each bullet design is different. I am loading the 171 to 3.168, for instance. With 59.4 grains, the projected MV is 2,950, with just under 60K. The theoretical numbers associated with the 162 and RL26 are 3,000 with just under 58K. Both of those loads are ever so slightly compressed, which is how I run all loads if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.